Just got back from the Texas Off-Rodeo. Here's my humble review, with photos:

EBG
Jun 30, 2021

Rank V

Jun 30, 2021

If you can't decide whether or not to attend one, let me decide for you - GO! Whether you've never been off the pavement, or you're an experienced rock crawler, you'll have fun, learn something, maybe even pass along some knowledge. Plus, you're driving somebody else's (Fords') Broncos, so you don't have to worry about some paint scratches, bumper dings, or bent skidplates. Just drive 'em like rentals - they're preproduction vehicles that will never be sold or driven on public roads, anyway. I've been off-roading for years - south Texas dirt, beaches, Katemcy Rocks, Hidden Falls, Chili Challenge out in New Mexico - but the Texas Hill Country is just about the prettiest place to be. Yeah, it was hot, and humid, but it's late June in Texas, of course it is. Wear some shorts, a light colored shirt, a hat, and some sunblock. Take plenty of water.

I ordered a 2 door BaseSquatch w/2.7L, the closest vehicle there to choose from was a 2 door Big Bend w/2.7L and the Squatch package, so that's what I drove the day and a half of my visit. Pretty sparse, 8" screen, no trail cameras, only a few GOAT modes - but that's pretty much what I'm getting so it was fine. Capable, too - it made child's play out of any of the obstacles out on the trails. Water in the creek beds up to the top of the tires, mud after the storms that rolled through, slippery pink granite, steep, off camber climbs and descents...no problem. There were a few times where at least one of the tires was up in the air, but with the lockers and the ABS groaning away, it always found traction. I left the lockers off most of the time just to see how well it would do without them, most of the time they weren't needed. If I made a try at an obstacle and didn't make it the first time (wheel spin), the guide spotting me would have me engage them and boom...Instant Traction. The "Trail turn assist" (Donut Mode) that locks the inside rear tire on tight low speed turns is handy. A few ergonomic quibbles with the interior - one of the A/C vents is blocked by the steering wheel, my right leg was rubbing the center console, left knee is sore after whacking the door panel too many times (there's a rubber pad there but it's not much help), and the top of the door panel is pretty hard where you rest your left arm. The back seats don't fold flat.

The guides - we had Josh, Bryan, and Carlos - are great, they know their stuff and having them spot us on the tougher obstacles made it easy. The higher-end models with the trail cameras and the 12" screen make it possible to do you your own spotting - you can see what's in front of the vehicle, behind, and every tire with the cameras in the bottom of the mirror housings. The facility is first class, people are professional, food was delicious.

I didn't stay in the resort hotel, I booked a room in Marble Falls, only about 15 minutes away (and a lot cheaper). Breakfast can be a challenge in town though, the hotel I was at only had a "cold" breakfast (Fruit Loops and some weak orange juice), don't count on going through a drive through in town and grabbing some tacos, every place I saw was closed. Finally found a donut shop and a taco shop down the road and scored some excellent bacon and eggs tacos. If you stay at the resort hotel, there is a shuttle bus to take you back and forth. If you're driving in, the entrance is on Hwy 71, just about 8 miles west of US 281. Look for the small signs on the driveway, hard to see from the highway at 70 mph.

IMG_1393.jpgIMG_1407.jpgIMG_1420.jpgIMG_1434.jpgIMG_1423.jpgIMG_1396.jpgIMG_1382.jpgIMG_1384.JPGIMG_1399.JPGIMG_1435.JPG
rws, D190065

Rank V

Jun 30, 2021

Good stuff. Thank you. They really need to do something about that backseat. I would be open to deleting it. Just give me 2 front seats and a little FLAT storage area in the 2 door.
MY22 Badlands, Eruption Green, Sasquatch, 2.7, Lux. Res. Date 5/27/21, Ordered 10/15/21, On Ice Mountain…
guzie, Dimo302

Rank VI

Jul 01, 2021

Thanks for sharing @EBG, looks like a blast! (y)
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
Woods Bronco, iambluto

Rank I

Jul 01, 2021

I agree 100% on going, I went a few weeks back and it was a great experience. We didn't have the mud cause it hadn't rained in about a week so I envy you on that. Came back and ordered a 4dr Badlands for my wife. We know it will be over a 1 1/2 to 2 years before we get it but we are ok with it cause we know it will be worth it! Our Demo was built on Day one of production but is still sitting at MAP. The ole saying with Ford "first in, last out" is still holding true for sure....
Woods Bronco, Ponds

Rank V

Jul 01, 2021

These photos are actually videos - not sure how to make the photo itself a link to the video, but if you click on the red "Photobucket" text below each photo, it should take you to the video.

Link to video hosted in Photobucket

rws, JBBBronco

Rank II

Jul 01, 2021

If you can't decide whether or not to attend one, let me decide for you - GO! Whether you've never been off the pavement, or you're an experienced rock crawler, you'll have fun, learn something, maybe even pass along some knowledge. Plus, you're driving somebody else's (Fords') Broncos, so you don't have to worry about some paint scratches, bumper dings, or bent skidplates. Just drive 'em like rentals - they're preproduction vehicles that will never be sold or driven on public roads, anyway. I've been off-roading for years - south Texas dirt, beaches, Katemcy Rocks, Hidden Falls, Chili Challenge out in New Mexico - but the Texas Hill Country is just about the prettiest place to be. Yeah, it was hot, and humid, but it's late June in Texas, of course it is. Wear some shorts, a light colored shirt, a hat, and some sunblock. Take plenty of water.

I ordered a 2 door BaseSquatch w/2.7L, the closest vehicle there to choose from was a 2 door Big Bend w/2.7L and the Squatch package, so that's what I drove the day and a half of my visit. Pretty sparse, 8" screen, no trail cameras, only a few GOAT modes - but that's pretty much what I'm getting so it was fine. Capable, too - it made child's play out of any of the obstacles out on the trails. Water in the creek beds up to the top of the tires, mud after the storms that rolled through, slippery pink granite, steep, off camber climbs and descents...no problem. There were a few times where at least one of the tires was up in the air, but with the lockers and the ABS groaning away, it always found traction. I left the lockers off most of the time just to see how well it would do without them, most of the time they weren't needed. If I made a try at an obstacle and didn't make it the first time (wheel spin), the guide spotting me would have me engage them and boom...Instant Traction. The "Trail turn assist" (Donut Mode) that locks the inside rear tire on tight low speed turns is handy. A few ergonomic quibbles with the interior - one of the A/C vents is blocked by the steering wheel, my right leg was rubbing the center console, left knee is sore after whacking the door panel too many times (there's a rubber pad there but it's not much help), and the top of the door panel is pretty hard where you rest your left arm. The back seats don't fold flat.

The guides - we had Josh, Bryan, and Carlos - are great, they know their stuff and having them spot us on the tougher obstacles made it easy. The higher-end models with the trail cameras and the 12" screen make it possible to do you your own spotting - you can see what's in front of the vehicle, behind, and every tire with the cameras in the bottom of the mirror housings. The facility is first class, people are professional, food was delicious.

I didn't stay in the resort hotel, I booked a room in Marble Falls, only about 15 minutes away (and a lot cheaper). Breakfast can be a challenge in town though, the hotel I was at only had a "cold" breakfast (Fruit Loops and some weak orange juice), don't count on going through a drive through in town and grabbing some tacos, every place I saw was closed. Finally found a donut shop and a taco shop down the road and scored some excellent bacon and eggs tacos. If you stay at the resort hotel, there is a shuttle bus to take you back and forth. If you're driving in, the entrance is on Hwy 71, just about 8 miles west of US 281. Look for the small signs on the driveway, hard to see from the highway at 70 mph.

View attachment 15045View attachment 15046View attachment 15047View attachment 15048View attachment 15049View attachment 15050View attachment 15051View attachment 15052View attachment 15053View attachment 15054
Thanks for sharing!
G.O.A.T.
Woods Bronco, bdawson24

Moab or bust!!!

Jul 01, 2021

Love that last picture! Looks like you are crawling out of a huge pit.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
Woods Bronco, Broncolife365

Rank V

Jul 01, 2021

Love that last picture! Looks like you are crawling out of a huge pit.
That wasn't me, that was a couple of girls who were part of the group. One was a little hesitant at first, but after successfully negotiating obstacles on the first day, stepped up the second day and handled everything on the trail with grace and style. That step was about a 6 foot height on part of the granite slab that makes up most of the streambeds in the area. Grippy when dry, but slick when wet and covered in moss. I'm behind the camera.

Click on the red "Photobucket" text under the photos and let me know if the video works - I can play it on my latops, but not sure if the link works for anyone else.
Woods Bronco, KennyMac

Moab or bust!!!

Jul 01, 2021

That wasn't me, that was a couple of girls who were part of the group. One was a little hesitant at first, but after successfully negotiating obstacles on the first day, stepped up the second day and handled everything on the trail with grace and style. That step was about a 6 foot height on part of the granite slab that makes up most of the streambeds in the area. Grippy when dry, but slick when wet and covered in moss. I'm behind the camera.

Click on the red "Photobucket" text under the photos and let me know if the video works - I can play it on my latops, but not sure if the link works for anyone else.
Yep, it worked. I didn't realize they were videos.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
WRANCO Flicka, 14U

Rank Benevolent Dictator

Jul 01, 2021

Really appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your visit. Some great pic's too. Looks like you nailed your visit. To get rain and make the course more challenging is an added bonus. Yahoo!
Mountainwiitch, TK1215

Rank V

Jul 01, 2021

View attachment 15045View attachment 15046View attachment 15047View attachment 15048View attachment 15049View attachment 15050View attachment 15051View attachment 15052View attachment 15053View attachment 15054
nice review thanks
TK1215

Gladesmen

Jul 01, 2021

looks like you got caught in one of our Hill Country down pours. those can be pretty intense. You stayed in Marble Falls and didn't go to Bluebonnet Cafe. Good to know you don't have to stay at the resort. I think I am going to pull the TT to Fredericksburg and stay there its only 30 miles or so away.
Did you take a guest and did they get any time behind the wheel. I want to go with the wife but I want her to get some time with it, But I want to do some driving too. do they have any Manual Transmission units there?

Thanks
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
EZAPAR, Deano Bronc

Rank IV

Jul 01, 2021

Thanks for the review!

We're also staying in Marble Falls when we attend the Off-Roadeo in 2 weeks. Question: Were you able to park your vehicle on property, or did you have to be dropped off? (I wasn't sure if they have an attendee parking lot, or if it's only set up for the resort hotel shuttle bus scenario.)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 4dr Eruption Green, 2.7L, 10-spd AT, MIC, Lux
TK1215

Rank V

Jul 02, 2021

looks like you got caught in one of our Hill Country down pours. those can be pretty intense. You stayed in Marble Falls and didn't go to Bluebonnet Cafe. Good to know you don't have to stay at the resort. I think I am going to pull the TT to Fredericksburg and stay there its only 30 miles or so away.
Did you take a guest and did they get any time behind the wheel. I want to go with the wife but I want her to get some time with it, But I want to do some driving too. do they have any Manual Transmission units there?

Thanks
Just me, no guest. My daughter ordered a 4 door and wanted to come along, but she couldn't get vacation time from work. Most of the other people in our group had guests along, there are plenty of opportunities to swap out drivers. When you're on a trail in a convoy, it stops frequently so the guides can get into position to spot drivers on obstacles. I didn't see any manual trans Broncos, but there are 50 - 60 of them on the property, odds are there's at least a few available.

I wanted to go to the Bluebonnet Cafe for breakfast, but they open at 7 am and I had to be at the Rodeo site by 7:45 of the second day, not enough time to order, eat, and get to the site. The line of people waiting to go in the Cafe at 7 am was impressive.
TK1215, Jakob1972

Rank V

Jul 02, 2021

Thanks for the review!

We're also staying in Marble Falls when we attend the Off-Roadeo in 2 weeks. Question: Were you able to park your vehicle on property, or did you have to be dropped off? (I wasn't sure if they have an attendee parking lot, or if it's only set up for the resort hotel shuttle bus scenario.)
There is a small parking lot for attendee's vehicles. It filled up fast, but there is space along the driveway for extra parking, that's where I parked my truck.
TK1215, Second Nature Overland

Rank V

Jul 02, 2021

I pretty much drove the vehicle you ordered most of my time out there. 2dr, base, sas/2.7, mic. The window sticker had some accessories on it that weren't there, but it was a good all around vehicle. Top panels worked great popping on and off. Hero buttons made everything easy, so much different that my other old school off roaders. After going through this event, they need a novice version and a version for people with off road experience. It was a bit much going over all the basics of off roading, and watching so many glazed over eyes. The rock crawling was fun, but they should do more off road track/baja/sand style. Should also do some on road driving (this one is probably a legal issue; they gave press different vehicles to use on road). I would have also preferred to pick my own lines for the obstacles.

Ergonomically, I agree with your assessment. I additionally found the steering wheel airbag cover/horn way too big and bulbous.... my 'manly'... forearms kept hit it and popping the horn....

As far as manuals, yes there are manuals, but they are few and far between.... most are autos. In a manuals you will pretty much have one of the guides with you, at least that was the experience with our group.
95 Eddie 5.8 Windsor 2021? nope, 2022?, wait 2022.5 HOSS3.0 equipped WildTrak/LUX/Leather/MIC. 7/14 RES
Deano Bronc, TK1215

Rank V

Jul 02, 2021

If you are coming into town for the event, Llano is also an optional place to stay, with some of the best old school pit smoked bbq in Texas. The resort is nice and you can get some of the hill country lake experience there. Austin, is actually a decent drive southeast, but has lots to offer. Fredricksburg, offers a very touristy look at the hill country, the ole german/czech vibe has been all but replaced by wineries, a few modern craft breweries and loads and loads of small boutique shops..... If just are just popping in for the event and do not plan on doing other stuff in the region, then the resort and or marble falls are going to be the best places to stay.
95 Eddie 5.8 Windsor 2021? nope, 2022?, wait 2022.5 HOSS3.0 equipped WildTrak/LUX/Leather/MIC. 7/14 RES
TK1215

Rank IV

Jul 02, 2021

Thanks for the review!

there is an attendee parking close to the entrance. Enjoy! It was amazing!!
TK1215, Second Nature Overland

Rank III

Jul 02, 2021

Nice...
Were there any Bronco Sports on less challenging courses?
TK1215, ScottTexas

Rank IV

Jul 02, 2021

The Bronco Sports were there, but just for display really. Day 1 was not challenging, but Day 2 was. Our 3 awesome hosts, Blake, Anthony and Carlos will give you as much assistance as you would like though, and no shaming either. It was truly a world class experience!!
bdawson24, WoolyGoat