Is there any truth about the over heating issues with the new Broncos?

TK1215

Rank VI

Champion I

Jan 1, 2021
Maricopa, AZ
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Kiely
Member #

I have t heard that one. What have you got for us on this topic?

AcesandEights

Rank IV

Don't delete

Oct 22, 2020
Oregon, USA
First Name
Aresenio
Last Name
Beckman
Talking about the Bronco Sport?

Not sure if it was this forum, or another, but it's in the owner's manual. I posted the text, I thought it was on this forum. The 4WD system can overheat, shut the a/c off and need a 10-minute cooling off period. Yes, the Bronco Sport (and other Ford 4WD (AWD) systems can overheat).

TrailReady

Rank V

Champion I

Jan 27, 2021
calif.
First Name
S
Last Name
T
Member #

Go look at the owners manual.
It is posted on a thread here on Bronco Nation.
It explains this function of the vehicle.
if you read the owners manual
Will help understand the topic.
Know what you are buying and how it works!!!

Reactions: lonzo71

jkburg

Rank V

Promoter II

Jul 14, 2020
Pewaukee, WI, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Burg
Member #

So thank you Gary for letting us know of that issue and thanks to the others for the information as to why. A few points of clarification. Either Gary was trolling and wanted to start something or he genuinely was new to Bronco, 4x4s and off-roading in general. I am guessing it was the latter. Some of us are brand new to all those things mentioned above and would have no idea to even think that was possible in today’s day and age. Some of us don’t work on cars and some of us don’t have time to read a manual before we even get our truck. Some of us are brand new to this and just need some assistance. I guess my point is if you have the knowledge be a mentor don’t be sanctimonious. Just my thoughts.

14U

Rank V

Promoter II

Mar 3, 2021
Tulsa, OK, USA
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
Cook
Member #

Is there any truth about the over heating issue with the new Broncos?
Yes, there is truth to it.
there is a drive around video of it happening on a sport model. I saw it in BN somewhere about a month ago.
But...
The overheating is a safety measure built into the vehicle to save damage to the drivetrain.
I would assume the larger Broncos will have the same programming, but higher abilities in the drivetrain, as it’s generally “more” off road worthy.
Also,
Welcome to the Bronco Nation.

Coldsmoke

Rank III

Advocate II

Jan 31, 2021
Northern Illinois
First Name
Martin
Last Name
Moister
Member #

there is a drive around video of it happening on a sport model. I saw it in BN somewhere about a month ago.
But...
The overheating is a safety measure built into the vehicle to save damage to the drivetrain.
I would assume the larger Broncos will have the same programming, but higher abilities in the drivetrain, as it’s generally “more” off road worthy.
Also,
I recall seeing that video as well here on BN somewhere and it was a Bronco Sport Badlands. The driver was going heavy on trying to climb a slick rock trail and eventually got some kind of warning the drivetrain was over temp and he had to wait for a few minutes for it to cool down.

Reactions: 14U

Jakob1972

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 17, 2020
1030 Park Rd 31, Spring Branch, TX, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jakob
Member #

But...
Also,
I don’t think the Bronco (not sport) will need this type of safety measure it has a totally different 4x4 than the sport. The sport uses clutches to engage the wheels for 4x4 it is closer to an AWD than 4x4. So heat is a big deal for their drive system the sport’s 4x4 will heat up more, and quicker than the 4x4 on its bigger brother. That said the Bronco will have parameters for the transmission and engine to keep them from overheating.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deano Bronc and 14U