IIHS does NOT award 2021 Bronco Top Safety Pick

Bschurr
Dec 15, 2021

No Ragerts

Dec 15, 2021

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38518908/2021-ford-bronco-no-iihs-top-safety-pick/

2021 Ford Bronco Misses Top Safety Pick Award over Head Restraints, Lights
The four-door Bronco outscored the 2021 Jeep Wrangler on an important crash test, however.
BY LAURA SKY BROWN
DEC 15, 2021

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

• The good news: The 2021 Ford Broncofour-door SUV achieved the top Good rating in five of the six crashworthiness tests administered by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the group announced today.
  • The less-good news: The Bronco didn't do well enough to earn IIHS Top Safety Pickhonors because it got a Marginal rating for headlights and was only rated Acceptable in the head restraint test.
  • Its major competitor, the 2021 Jeep Wrangler, likewise has no Top Safety Pick designation, although for different reasons.
The 2021 Ford Bronco four-door SUV has completed the full set of crash and safety testing from the nonprofit Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). While the new Bronco achieved the top Good rating in five of six crashworthiness tests, it fell short of earning Top Safety Pick or Top Safety Pick+ honors. Its smaller stablemate, the Bronco Sport, did make the Top Safety Pick+ list for 2021 with Good ratings in all six evaluations.
2021 ford bronco 4door
IIHS

The Bronco lost points for its head restraints, which were only rated Acceptable (possible ratings are Good, Acceptable, Marginal, and Poor). The IIHS measures the restraints based on an average male occupant's height and the distance behind the person's head, stating the restraint should be about 3.5 inches below the top of the person's head and with as small a distance from the back of the head to the restraint as possible. In rear-end crash testing, the test dummy's neck was "subject to moderate force" and the Bronco's seat didn't support the occupant's head and neck well, indicating that occupants may not be protected well enough against whiplash injuries, the organization said in a statement.
2021 ford bronco 4door
IIHS

The Bronco is sold with a choice of two headlight systems, neither of which was rated above Marginal. The lights' low-beams "do not illuminate the road to a far enough distance on curves," says the IIHS. It's worth noting that several automakers have upgraded their headlights—including Ford, on the F-150—since the 2020 model year, when the agency started including them as a criterion for Top Safety Pick.
THEY'RE TOP PICKS FOR LOTS OF PEOPLE

2021 Ford Bronco

Tested: 2021 Ford Bronco vs. Jeep Wrangler

Living with the New Ford Bronco

The Bronco is not alone in the mid-size-SUV category without a Top Safety Pick rating. Its biggest competitor, the Jeep Wrangler, also did not achieve the honor. In the case of the Jeep, its head restraints were rated Good. But while the Bronco was rated Good in the driver's-side small overlap crash test, the Jeep only got Marginal—"due to tipping onto its side" despite performing well otherwise, an IIHS spokesperson explained to Car and Driver.

The Wrangler's headlight choices were rated Marginal or Poor in the agency's stringent evaluations, slightly worse than the Bronco's Marginal ratings. The IIHS website states that only 29 percent of headlight systems tested on 2021 model vehicles achieved a Good rating, so these two SUVs are not alone.
The Bronco also outdoes the Wrangler in crash-prevention equipment, the IIHS said. Both vehicle-to-vehicle and pedestrian front crash protection are standard equipment on the Bronco. On the Wrangler, there's optional vehicle-to-vehicle front crash protection but no pedestrian protection technology available.
On the IIHS's mid-size-SUV list where the Wrangler and Bronco are placed, seven vehicles made the 2021 Top Safety Pick+ list: the Ford Explorer, Hyundai Palisade, Mazda CX-9, Nissan Murano, Subaru Ascent, Toyota Highlander, and Volkswagen ID.4. Another seven earned the 2021 Top Safety Pick designation: the Chevrolet Traverse, Ford Edge and Mustang, Hyundai Santa Fe, Kia Sorento and Telluride, and Volkswagen Tiguan. (Check out the full list of 2021 Top Safety Pick winners on the IIHS website.)
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
ChrisB
Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2021

Standing Grumpy Face

Dec 15, 2021

KennyMac, Bschurr

Looking for rocks!

Dec 15, 2021

Amazing how well the occupant area stayed in tact. That cage is no joke.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
Jruta, KennyMac

Standing Grumpy Face

Dec 15, 2021

Amazing how well the occupant area stayed in tact. That cage is no joke.

Those side curtains do the job.
Reformed Wrangler, KennyMac

No Ragerts

Dec 15, 2021

^ For everyone wondering where their new Bronco is :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Jruta, Reformed Wrangler

Standing Grumpy Face

Dec 15, 2021

^ For everyone wondering where their new Bronco is :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Someone had to take one for the team. :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
Jruta, Reformed Wrangler

Rank VI

Dec 16, 2021

It stinks that headlights are still Marginal. Come-on, You have been making headlights for a century. LED give you all kinds of design possibilities. Really could have done better knowing the test standard.
Jruta

No Ragerts

Dec 16, 2021

It stinks that headlights are still Marginal. Come-on, You have been making headlights for a century. LED give you all kinds of design possibilities. Really could have done better knowing the test standard.
Totally agree - a manufacturer should never fall below the minimum standard for the maximum value/grade, right?

I am not an electrical engineer but I can attest that my Bronco headlights are 1,000,000 times better than my Wrangler headlights!

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Dec 16, 2021

I would not classify them as marginal IMO , they are very good from the one I saw . I think they only give top scores for headlights that turn with the steering to light the way better in turns .
Nice clickbait title though , LOL . I'm quite satisfied with the Broncos score .
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
KennyMac, Jakob1972

No Ragerts

Dec 16, 2021

Low beams
15BD01C1-1CAC-4844-8DEE-B360E22EDBE2.jpeg
jd-ford-hd, rk105rider

Rank VI

Dec 16, 2021

Looks good to me!
Wildtrak, hot pepper red, mic, Lux, tow...Totally worth it!!
Bschurr

Gladesmen

Dec 16, 2021

I would not classify them as marginal IMO , they are very good from the one I saw . I think they only give top scores for headlights that turn with the steering to light the way better in turns .
Nice clickbait title though , LOL . I'm quite satisfied with the Broncos score .
I totally agree.
I can live with this.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Rydfree

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Dec 16, 2021

Looks good to me!

You never drove through Colts Neck, or any place that uses Deer instead of cops to deal with speeders. Adding more than just the fogs at this point, don't wanna be Kamikaze'd by them at night
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
Reformed Wrangler, Bschurr

Dec 16, 2021

Those side curtains do the job.

How much weight at those airbags? It's my vehicle, shouldn't get in trouble for removing them and tricking the computer to not realizing they're gone

Gladesmen

Dec 16, 2021

Hmm at some point the headlight can be too bright, and they start to blind on coming traffic. If is just about being bright fire up the light bar that’ll do it.
Please do not drive on public road with your light bar on.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
KennyMac, Rydfree

Dec 16, 2021

Hmm at some point the headlight can be too bright, and they start to blind on coming traffic. If is just about being bright fire up the light bar that’ll do it.
Please do not drive on public road with your light bar on.

Sometimes flashing with the high beams isn't enough to get the slowmo's in front of you to move, sometimes you need to send a clear message
Reformed Wrangler, Bschurr

Dec 16, 2021

1639692693648.png
ABQNMBronco, Reformed Wrangler

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Dec 16, 2021

Joined May 29, 2020 Member 546
Speed Devil

Rank VI

Dec 16, 2021

Yeah, Low Beam Headlight pattern looks good enough for me. Automatic High Beams will fill in the rest of the time. Not much defense against suicidal wild life.
Bschurr, Rydfree

Rank VI

Dec 17, 2021

How can anyone look at a picture online and determine, good enough for me? There is an objective finding by a non-profit organization whose task is specifically to test for safety, but people saying they know better based on a picture on the internet...never ceases to amaze me. I watched Dukes of Hazzard and thought cars could fly, but I was in grade school at the time.

Also, qualifying your results by saying, yeah but our competition sucks too has got to be one the lowest forms of logic, false equivalence, red herring, straw man. I can't keep up.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole