How to Mount Devices on Your Bronco Dash (Without the BYOD Rail)

David
Aug 27, 2021

Rank VI

Aug 27, 2021

Many of us are excited about capturing our Bronco adventures to share with family and friends or the rest of the internet. At launch, Ford showed off a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) rail that would mount on the dash of your Bronco and allow you to mount cameras and other gear. For months that was all we heard of the rail and details were few. Then, this spring, Ford confirmed that they would not be making the BYOD rail and the 4-Wheel Parts would be producing it. However, the rail still isn't available to the public and *some* Broncos have been delivered to customers.

So how do you get video captured from your dash without the BYOD rail? Well...you kinda fake it until they make it. Let me explain the solution that we're taking to Bronco Super Celebration West this year.

Janky...but it works.

First, there's a lot going on with this solution. There are around 15 separate parts but that makes it quite modular and it gives you options for finding the right set up for you. Let's break it down.

Getting Everything Mounted

The most essential element for mounting anything on the dash is the 1/4in threaded female mounting point right below the rear view mirror of your Bronco. However, most mounting hardware also has a threaded female end so we've found a male-to-male 1/4in threaded post to be helpful. Links for this, and everything in this setup are below.

1/4in Male-to-Male Threaded Post Phone Mount.jpg

Once you have that mounted in the Bronco, you have a couple directions that you can go. If all you want to do is mount a phone for some trail capture, then you can pick up a simple phone mount and screw it on. Some kind of compression washer between the male post and the mounting so that you have a tight fit at multiple angles. I didn't have any on me when I tried this set up but I did have a couple rubber bands from my son's braces, adapt and overcome.

Extension Arm and Threaded Post.jpg. Complete Mount Setup.jpg

Now, if you want to mount some other devices, like an external microphone or light, you'll need some extra hardware. We have an extension arm with a cold shoe mount, this gives us some options. The thumb screws of the extension arm also have a female 1/4in threaded hole in them so that it can screw right onto the post. We mounted the microphone on one side and the phone mount on the other. Using the mini mic requires some extra little gear though.

Audio Chain and Charging

I use an iPhone so this part is going to be a bit iPhone-centric but the principles are similar for Android devices even though the ports are different. First, I'd recommend picking up a 90 degree splitter, this will give you a port for the mic and a port for charging. On most of these adaptors, the ports are not interchangeable so make sure that you are plugging in the right side. To get to the mic, you'll need to go from your phone's port connection to a 3.5mm headphone jack. Apple makes the adaptor and included it with a few iPhone iterations so you might already have one of these laying about. To complicate things, not all 3.5mm headphone cables are the same. You'll need a TRRS (Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve) end to go into your Apple adaptor and then the TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) end will plug into your mic.

IMG_5432.jpg

And there you have it, a functional BYOD knockoff. This is a space where creativity and ingenuity really pays off, let us see your solutions below!

Audio Chain Links
Mounting Hardware Links
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
LoneRanger, Ditchrunner

Rank IV

Aug 27, 2021

Many of us are excited about capturing our Bronco adventures to share with family and friends or the rest of the internet. At launch, Ford showed off a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) rail that would mount on the dash of your Bronco and allow you to mount cameras and other gear. For months that was all we heard of the rail and details were few. Then, this spring, Ford confirmed that they would not be making the BYOD rail and the 4-Wheel Parts would be producing it. However, the rail still isn't available to the public and *some* Broncos have been delivered to customers.

So how do you get video captured from your dash without the BYOD rail? Well...you kinda fake it until they make it. Let me explain the solution that we're taking to Bronco Super Celebration West this year.

View attachment 17420

First, there's a lot going on with this solution. There are around 15 separate parts but that makes it quite modular and it gives you options for finding the right set up for you. Let's break it down.

The most essential element for mounting anything on the dash is the 1/4in threaded female mounting point right below the rear view mirror of your Bronco. However, most mounting hardware also has a threaded female end so we've found a male-to-male 1/4in threaded post to be helpful. Links for this, and everything in this setup are below.

View attachment 17428 View attachment 17431

Once you have that mounted in the Bronco, you have a couple directions that you can go. If all you want to do is mount a phone for some trail capture, then you can pick up a simple phone mount and screw it on. Some kind of compression washer between the male post and the mounting so that you have a tight fit at multiple angles. I didn't have any on me when I tried this set up but I did have a couple rubber bands from my son's braces, adapt and overcome.

View attachment 17430. View attachment 17432

Now, if you want to mount some other devices, like an external microphone or light, you'll need some extra hardware. We have an extension arm with a cold shoe mount, this gives us some options. The thumb screws of the extension arm also have a female 1/4in threaded hole in them so that it can screw right onto the post. We mounted the microphone on one side and the phone mount on the other. Using the mini mic requires some extra little gear though.

Audio Chain and Charging

I use an iPhone so this part is going to be a bit iPhone-centric but the principles are similar for Android devices even though the ports are different. First, I'd recommend picking up a 90 degree splitter, this will give you a port for the mic and a port for charging. On most of these adaptors, the ports are not interchangeable so make sure that you are plugging in the right side. To get to the mic, you'll need to go from your phone's port connection to a 3.5mm headphone jack. Apple makes the adaptor and included it with a few iPhone iterations so you might already have one of these laying about. To complicate things, not all 3.5mm headphone cables are the same. You'll need a TRRS (Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve) end to go into your Apple adaptor and then the TRS (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) end will plug into your mic.

View attachment 17494

And there you have it, a functional BYOD knockoff.

Audio Chain Links
Mounting Hardware Links
Spot on! I bought the 1/4 threaded bolt, and used a GoPro mount, along with my Hero 8 Black last weekend at Texas Off-Roadeo. Worked like a charm! I have also adapted a mount for my Garmin GPS for when I take ownership of the elusive Bronco.
SlashRacer, Chief1301

Rank XII

Aug 27, 2021

Nice set-up. I've tried these inexpensive items on a Bronco with success as well:

1630074468246.png Manfrotto Universal Smartphone Clamp (use w/ male-to-male 1/4" threaded tripod screw adapter)

1630074602135.png CAMO Aluminum Alloy Double Ball Joint Mount
Delusionary, Shadowblade

Rank VI

Aug 30, 2021

Per a couple of owners that have already had a problem.
A good idea once you get your Bronco is to unscrew and pop off the Accessory piece, remove the locking nut and Vibratite or Locktite it. Some have also added a lock ring.
I purchased the Tackform.

MgtempImageM7wJ26.png
Bronco Nation 278
IndianaBroncos on Facebook​
Shadowblade, SlashRacer

Chief

Aug 31, 2021

Nice set-up. I've tried these inexpensive items on a Bronco with success as well:

View attachment 17495 Manfrotto Universal Smartphone Clamp (use w/ male-to-male 1/4" threaded tripod screw adapter)

View attachment 17496 CAMO Aluminum Alloy Double Ball Joint Mount
I bought the CAMO double ball joint mount too. Haven't received it yet, but the reviews are great. I went cheap on the action camera. Got an Akaso Brave 7 LE. Not as good as a GoPro or a DJI Osmo Action. But you can't beat it for the money. Not trying to go all out, but I want something rugged with imagine stabilization. Pretty sure the Brave 7 LE will record better video than my phone on the dash of a Bronco bouncing around at the Off-Roadeo? Going to the Nevada Off-Roadeo in November with my Son and Grandson. We're spending Thanksgiving at my Daughter's in Pahrump. Can't wait.
Bronco 202?, SlashRacer

Rank IV

Aug 31, 2021

I bought the CAMO double ball joint mount too. Haven't received it yet, but the reviews are great. I went cheap on the action camera. Got an Akaso Brave 7 LE. Not as good as a GoPro or a DJI Osmo Action. But you can't beat it for the money. Not trying to go all out, but I want something rugged with imagine stabilization. Pretty sure the Brave 7 LE will record better video than my phone on the dash of a Bronco bouncing around at the Off-Roadeo? Going to the Nevada Off-Roadeo in November with my Son and Grandson. We're spending Thanksgiving at my Daughter's in Pahrump. Can't wait.
After reading the post above, I purchased something very similar to the Manfroto listed above. It is going to work perfectly for my Samsung Note 20 Ultra, and my Garmin GPS. It will work so well, in fact, it will replace the mount I had engineered, for less than $8 on Amazon. Adjustible width, and screw lock tightening, not relying on a spring to hold the device in place.
Chief1301

Rank 0

Sep 06, 2021

View attachment 17420

Audio Chain and Charging

View attachment 17494

And there you have it, a functional BYOD knockoff. This is a space where creativity and ingenuity really pays off, let us see your solutions below!

Audio Chain Links
Mounting Hardware Links
Love the solution. Here are a couple of points about using this mount point:
Cheers!
Outer Banks 4DR | Soft Top | Cyber Orange | Sasquatch | 2.7L | High | Tow | 12" LCD
Blend Date: 9/8/2021

Rank V

Sep 06, 2021

View attachment 17420

Audio Chain and Charging

View attachment 17494

Audio Chain Links
Mounting Hardware Links
Any timeline for the 4-Wheel Parts BYOD part? Or pricing for it?

Rank VI

Sep 06, 2021

Any timeline for the 4-Wheel Parts BYOD part? Or pricing for it?

they have been very vague…
Bronco Nation 278
Airwolf

Rank V

Sep 06, 2021

they have been very vague…
Like everything with these new broncos, a combination of vagueness and waiting. :LOL:
Bonedry

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Sep 06, 2021

Like everything with these new broncos, a combination of vagueness and waiting. :LOL:
and de-contenting it before one model year gets out.
Airwolf

Rank V

Rank VI

Sep 10, 2021

Here is the Tackform mounted.

Attachments

Bronco Nation 278
Puddle Jumper, ResidualGenius

Moab or bust!!!

Sep 10, 2021

I made my own bracket for my Voswitch UV100. I used a Allen head bolt to attach it.
Is this in place of the Ford aux switches?
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
MhughesJr

Rank V

Sep 10, 2021

I don’t have the Ford Aux in my Bronco.

Rank VI

Sep 23, 2021

Looking forward to mounting a 2 way radio in my new Bronco - Someday. thanks for the pics.
Airwolf

Rank V

Apr 20, 2022

Pick up BIG RED yesterday and asked part manager what tread size bolt I can use to mount a Garmin GPS nuvi 42 family . So here is what here emailed me. The subassembly at top in orange is the middle purple plastic panel that the brass mounting plate is bolted to . Called FORD they had no idea so we will use a 1/4-20 thread count bolt and drill a whole in Garmin friction flat mount . $24 on Amazon but all different prices from $9.99++
Garmin says their dash camera are separate division from GPS. You also can get 5",6",7" but Garmin still dont have the dash mounted brackets. I am .just going to get a bolt head in brass with a brass washer to make it look nice and will not rust like my driver side tie down front factory at yesterday delivery. Salesman says tech bulletin issued but no parts! see attached

Attachments