How Many Rigs When You Overland?

SlashRacer
Jul 07, 2021

Road trip!!!

Jul 07, 2021

When you go on your week long overland adventures, how many rigs do you like to go with? Do you keep it a small group or do you like a lot of rigs?
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
TK1215
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 07, 2021

Life is a Highway

Jul 07, 2021

When you go on your week long overland adventures, how many rigs do you like to go with? Do you keep it a small group or do you like a lot of rigs?
I am thinking five, maybe six tops. In my experience with my Mustang runs we just seemed to naturally break off into groups of that size.
To clarify my response. I am talking about the number of vehicles in the group I am traveling with.
SlashRacer

Rank VI

Jul 07, 2021

I can only drive one at a time, but sometimes I'll take a motorcycle on a hitch carrier and ride it after I park the big pig. So, I'll ride the bush pig when the big pig is parked.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Sdakotabronco, Deano Bronc

Rank II

Jul 07, 2021

Rank III

Jul 09, 2021

When I lead Overland Groups I try to cap it no more than 7. Minimum 2 if you're going where it will take more than a day to walk out. Steens Mts. in Eastern Oregon for example, you can get to spots where you're the only human for miles. (More cows, antelope than people)

The other key question is having similarly built trucks. 3 overlanders with modern engines, 35" tires etc. are going to be waiting for that guy in the early 70's a cool but slow classic on 31's.

This was just over a month ago in JUNE in the Stens. It was over 90* out in the valley, but snowing in the hills. We had 5 trucks, it was a nice balance. One had no lift and no armor, guess who slowed down the speed of travel. Only an issue when you have waypoints you want to hit, or a known camp that would be great to stay at.
IMG_0779.jpg
www.Metaltech4x4.com 21yrs of building high performance off road parts right here in the USA. Its Bronco time!
Deano Bronc

Road trip!!!

Jul 10, 2021

When I lead Overland Groups I try to cap it no more than 7. Minimum 2 if you're going where it will take more than a day to walk out. Steens Mts. in Eastern Oregon for example, you can get to spots where you're the only human for miles. (More cows, antelope than people)

The other key question is having similarly built trucks. 3 overlanders with modern engines, 35" tires etc. are going to be waiting for that guy in the early 70's a cool but slow classic on 31's.

This was just over a month ago in JUNE in the Stens. It was over 90* out in the valley, but snowing in the hills. We had 5 trucks, it was a nice balance. One had no lift and no armor, guess who slowed down the speed of travel. Only an issue when you have waypoints you want to hit, or a known camp that would be great to stay at.
View attachment 15325
Great info…..thanks! :cool:
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.

Rank VI

Jul 10, 2021

I haven’t gone far in my Jeep, just up to two nights max. More “camping” than overlanding on my way to a destination.

However, I plan on doing more with the Bronco than a sleeping mat in the back of the Jeep, and I’ve already been able to equip the vehicle for it. I will be going solo, one vehicle, but I have a ZOLEO satellite communicator. Sometimes I’ll just need to get away from people!
Deano Bronc, SlashRacer

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

Jul 12, 2021

2-5 seem to be the magical number.

L.R.
SlashRacer