Home brew Wireless Charging Pad

Padams7
Sep 24, 2021

Rank VI

Sep 24, 2021

Hi all! Figured I’d make a post about a home brew wireless charging pad.

I myself am getting the High Package, so I will not have the wireless charging pad of the Lux Package.

I did recently see a post of someone removing the rubber mat, sticking a QI Charger under it and running the cord to the USB outlet. It works, but to me, it’s still not “wireless” as you can see the wire coming up.

My wife has a 2020 GMC Elevation, on the GMC center console armrest there is a great spot to place your phone. I purchased a QI charger, took it apart, then I took the plastic trim apart from the bottom of the lid, did some fine dremeling, and attached the QI charger to the underside of the armrest (epoxy). I then ran the USB down and tapped it into the 12v power supply in the console there. I purchased a 12v USB connector from Amazon. So everything it hidden, AND the 12v outlet in there still works.

I don’t have any photos, because, well, this was a year ago. But it works charging the phones through the plastic, rubber mat, and phone case. All in all, it was about $20 in parts, and really only took an hour of time, it that. So call it a 2 beer job.

There are tons of videos on YouTube on how to do this, and my Bronco won’t be here till November, but this is something I plan on doing to my Bronco when it arrives. I’ll have to take apart the center console, but at the end of the day, I’ll have wireless charging, and still have the open USB ports!
Jesusfreak, TK1215

Standing Grumpy Face

Sep 24, 2021

Someone on B6G did something similar.

Wireless charging pad DIY install hack
Bschurr, Padams7

Rank VI

Sep 24, 2021

Someone on B6G did something similar.

Wireless charging pad DIY install hack

Yeah, that’s the one I saw, and it is great, but I am going to mount the QI charger under the console, not just the rubber mat. Here are some photos of the one I did in my wife’s truck.

Wires are all hidden under the trim, and you can see a part of the QI Charger in the two holes underneath. I think the same can be done where he did that install, mounting it underneath the console, and tapping the wires into the 12v behind the trim.

The one I did in my wife’s truck has worked the last 12-18 months flawlessly, and looks factory. I plan on doing the same.

Everything is all hidden inside the lid.

Attachments

marks22, Jesusfreak

Rank II

Nov 03, 2021

Please post here when you do it. Thank you

Rank VI

Nov 03, 2021

Please post here when you do it. Thank you

Will do, picked up my Bronco last Friday. I am working 7 days a week through 12/7, then I’m gonna work on that
ybcuz, Jesusfreak