Hard top 'noises'....might not be a flaw

LagoCJ
Aug 18, 2021

Rank VI

Aug 18, 2021

I have seen some threads on the 'other' site, along with a video from the TFL folks complaining about the 'terrible' and 'unbearable' noises coming from the MIC top. Trust me, as an owner who has an FE, I am not saying the top is perfect. But, I think we need to be careful about blowing some things up to the point that they become quality investigations...when they are simply just part of the removable hard top experience. Most of the sounds coming from the top probably fit into this category.

The creaks and snaps that some people are experiencing (including myself) are not necessarily an indication of a problem or a flaw. As many of us who have been Wrangler owners should know, these sounds can be part of the normal driving experience with this type of top. I had several hard top Wranglers and with the advent of Freedom Tops (removable panels over the driver/passenger), pops/snaps/creaks became a normal experience. In fact, I made a warranty claim on my first Freedom Top equipped Wrangler. The service department 'fixed' it in about fifteen minutes. When I asked what they did with my Jeep after they took it back to the service bay, they said that they deal with the 'creaking' Freedom Tops all the time and the solution is 'remove the top panel, rub some silicone lube on the gaskets, put back the top'. They told me to do this at the change of seasons, and reapply regularly. The gaskets dry out, and the plastic/composite materials will expand/contract/move in reaction to driving movement and the weather. A dry seal can cause the tops to snap and creak, but a lubed seal will move with the top and make no sound. As long as I kept the gaskets taken care of, no strange noises from the top. As a bonus, silicone lube actually makes the rubber gaskets last longer and keeps them from drying out and cracking.

Now, I am having these noises on my Bronco and plan to give it the same treatment...however, before I put anything on the seals, I need to know what they are made out of. For most gaskets/seals, silicone based products are safe. But, on the off chance that the seals are silicone based, the worst thing in the world to put on them would be silicone as the seals would dissolve/disintegrate. (Petroleum based lubes will degrade most other types of gasket).

David/Laura...can we get a verification on the gasket material for the hard top? That way we can maybe solve some of the non-quality issues with the MIC top and reduce a little of the hard top stress.
BN 0232 Bronco "Skwach" - 4 Dr FE, Lightning Blue, MIC/NP
New acquisition - Ranger Lariat Tremor, Rapid Red "Quake" (Skwach's little brother)
Other fun stuff: Honda Pioneer 1000 dirt toy (Need hitch!)
KennyMac, Deano Bronc
Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2021
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Aug 18, 2021

David/Laura...can we get a verification on the gasket material for the hard top? That way we can maybe solve some of the non-quality issues with the MIC top and reduce a little of the hard top stress.

Thanks for the question, LagoCJ. I don't have the answer to that currently (nor does the owner's manual), but we'll see what we can find out. Community, do you have an answer?
2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
Keeping the Jeeps: stock '89 XJ and 3.5" lifted '00 XJ on 31s
NickP

Rank VI

Aug 18, 2021

Ford has produced over 13,000 Broncos this year, of course not all hard tops, but... Do you think that is why Ford is replacing (somewhere in the range of) 10,000 hard tops (4:1 hard top to soft top), instead of having the dealer apply silicone lube as part of the pre-delivery? That makes very little sense.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
johndeerefarmer

Rank VI

Aug 18, 2021

The creaking/snapping sound is only one of the observed issues. I think that most of the very bad problems are with delamination of the top material, bad layup of the materials in the mold, water leakage and other production problems. Trying to separate those from something that most likely will still be present after the 'new' or 'fixed' tops are produced. Every Wrangler I have ever driven, that has removable top panels (Freedom top) has some creaking if the seals are dry.
BN 0232 Bronco "Skwach" - 4 Dr FE, Lightning Blue, MIC/NP
New acquisition - Ranger Lariat Tremor, Rapid Red "Quake" (Skwach's little brother)
Other fun stuff: Honda Pioneer 1000 dirt toy (Need hitch!)
NickP, KennyMac

Rank VI

Aug 19, 2021

So why worry about it creaking? Isn't that like having a bent rod in your engine and worrying about whether how quickly you can replace the leaking oil pan gasket?

Who cares if there is a squeak when there is delamination of the top material, bad layup of the materials in the mold, water leakage and other production problems.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound adversarial, I just have to wonder if you're stepping over a dime to pick up a nickel.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole

Rank II

Aug 19, 2021

The top panels on my Jeep Gladiator are dead silent. Never a squeak, pop, rattle, etc.

Rank VI

Aug 19, 2021

I have seen some threads on the 'other' site, along with a video from the TFL folks complaining about the 'terrible' and 'unbearable' noises coming from the MIC top. Trust me, as an owner who has an FE, I am not saying the top is perfect. But, I think we need to be careful about blowing some things up to the point that they become quality investigations...when they are simply just part of the removable hard top experience. Most of the sounds coming from the top probably fit into this category.

The creaks and snaps that some people are experiencing (including myself) are not necessarily an indication of a problem or a flaw. As many of us who have been Wrangler owners should know, these sounds can be part of the normal driving experience with this type of top. I had several hard top Wranglers and with the advent of Freedom Tops (removable panels over the driver/passenger), pops/snaps/creaks became a normal experience. In fact, I made a warranty claim on my first Freedom Top equipped Wrangler. The service department 'fixed' it in about fifteen minutes. When I asked what they did with my Jeep after they took it back to the service bay, they said that they deal with the 'creaking' Freedom Tops all the time and the solution is 'remove the top panel, rub some silicone lube on the gaskets, put back the top'. They told me to do this at the change of seasons, and reapply regularly. The gaskets dry out, and the plastic/composite materials will expand/contract/move in reaction to driving movement and the weather. A dry seal can cause the tops to snap and creak, but a lubed seal will move with the top and make no sound. As long as I kept the gaskets taken care of, no strange noises from the top. As a bonus, silicone lube actually makes the rubber gaskets last longer and keeps them from drying out and cracking.

Now, I am having these noises on my Bronco and plan to give it the same treatment...however, before I put anything on the seals, I need to know what they are made out of. For most gaskets/seals, silicone based products are safe. But, on the off chance that the seals are silicone based, the worst thing in the world to put on them would be silicone as the seals would dissolve/disintegrate. (Petroleum based lubes will degrade most other types of gasket).

My 2018 JKU hardtop was quiet. I expect a brand new $63,000 vehicle would also be silent...you didn't buy a 5 year old Wrangler. Just my expectations.
7/14: Outer Banks, Eruption Green, Lux Package, 2.7 Eco, Sasquatch Package, Roof Rack, Towing Package, HD Modular front bumper, AUX switches
BigHoof, JFord

Rank V

Aug 19, 2021

I say go ahead and try the silicone lube on your seals as a test. If it melts the seals, you'll know not to use it on your new top after Ford replaces it. Long term consequences to you? Worst case, free lesson learned.
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
Rydfree

Rank V

Aug 19, 2021

My 2018 JKU hardtop was quiet. I expect a brand new $63,000 vehicle would also be silent...you didn't buy a 5 year old Wrangler. Just my expectations.

Yeah totally agreed. My 11 year old wrangler top is quiet too, I don’t get any noise from it unless going through severe bumps at speed.

No Ragerts

Aug 19, 2021

This is the stuff right here for hard top rubber lubrication/seal

Been using this on my Jeeps for 20 years, I am sure it will be great for any Bronco seal issues.

1CC6A972-5345-4678-B7E8-344F9EA7EFE3.jpeg

For my imports, I use the fancy Gummi Pflege.
8058E12E-CD43-4D61-A400-283737C14BCA.jpeg
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
KennyMac, SlashRacer

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Aug 19, 2021

This is the stuff right here for hard top rubber lubrication/seal

Been using this on my Jeeps for 20 years, I am sure it will be great for any Bronco seal issues.

For my imports, I use the fancy Gummi Pflege.
Maybe K-Y would work...

My dopey ex gf had a Mustang with t tops did nothing but complain about the squeaks and creeks, told her to Armor all the seals.Took 5 minutes and no more squeaks. at least from the t tops. :p

If the Bronco was built by Microsoft, it wouldn't be a flaw, it would be an undocumented feature.;)
JFord, rlack75