Going to Off-Roadeo Texas? What else will you do while you're there?

David
Dec 18, 2020

Rank VI

Dec 18, 2020

Off-Roadeo is coming to Texas. If you've already been to the Austin area, what would you suggest people do while they're there?
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
Bronclahoma
Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2020

Moab or bust!!!

Dec 18, 2020

Off-Roadeo is coming to Texas. If you've already been to the Austin area, what would you suggest people do while they're there?
Love the Austin area. I always thought of Texas as relatively flat with a lot of open spaces, which is true for a lot of it, but the Austin area is completely different. There is a lot more elevation change than you would initially think. It's absolutely beautiful plus you have some of the best BBQ in the states. I can see why BN picked it as one of the locations for Off-rodeo.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
Bronclahoma, 2askjoe

Rank VI

Dec 18, 2020

It's absolutely beautiful plus you have some of the best BBQ in the states.
This is pretty subjective and tons of folks would fight us on it but I agree. Texas BBQ is my favorite. I lived in central Texas for about 3 years, I miss Rudys.
shjtexas, doublebullout

Rank VI

Dec 18, 2020

This is pretty subjective and tons of folks would fight us on it but I agree. Texas BBQ is my favorite. I lived in central Texas for about 3 years, I miss Rudys.
RUDY'S!!!!!!! When in Austin one must visit https://franklinbbq.com.
Bronco Nation Member #0000
Instagram: bdawson24
Laurie Ford, cigartexan

Road trip!!!

Dec 18, 2020

Never been to it, but LOVE bbq! I may order some of their sauce and try them at home. What would you recommend?
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
Bronclahoma, JFord

Rank VI

Dec 18, 2020

Never been to it, but LOVE bbq! I may order some of their sauce and try them at home. What would you recommend?
Knowing me I'd do them all!!! You can't go wrong with Franklin.
Bronclahoma, 2askjoe

Rank VI

Dec 18, 2020

The sauce is a big part of why Texas is my favorite.
2askjoe, Bronc96

cant_hold_my_horses

Dec 18, 2020

Rudy's is ok but it is a little to commercial for my tastes. Franklin is a damn good one, but y'all are missing a few BBQ gems down here you should definitely try out: The Salt Lick, Coopers, Opies, Blacks, Kreuz, Hays County to name a few BBQ hot spots scattered throughout the hill country. Tell you what - hit me up if y'all make it down and I'll cruise with y'all to any or all of 'em.

BBQ, Beer, and Broncos...sounds like one helluva good time to me.
Philmo418, D190065

Rank VI

Dec 18, 2020

Rudy's is ok but it is a little to commercial for my tastes. Franklin is a damn good one, but y'all are missing a few BBQ gems down here you should definitely try out: The Salt Lick, Coopers, Opies, Blacks, Kreuz, Hays County to name a few BBQ hot spots scattered throughout the hill country. Tell you what - hit me up if y'all make it down and I'll cruise with y'all to any or all of 'em.

You will be popular.
Bronclahoma, 2askjoe

cant_hold_my_horses

Dec 18, 2020

You will be popular.
I will be fat, dumb, and happy sir. haha
BTilbury, 2askjoe

Rank VI

Dec 18, 2020

I will be fat, dumb, and happy sir. haha
:ROFLMAO:

Rank 0

Dec 18, 2020

If the event is held where I assume it is it's not really 'near' Austin. It's about an hour out of town on country roads. That said, it's a great park. The trails provide challenges for all skill levels. I know, because I helped lay out many of them. And broke many things doing so. Roadeo organizers, call me. ;)

Things to do around Austin. Well, it depends on the world situation at that date. Austin is currently at Stage 5 lockdown. Means almost everything is closed.

In no way is this a comprehensive list. Just the insider knowledge of someone that's been in Austin over 25 years.

BBQ. A good way to start a fight in Texas is have strong opinions on your favorite BBQ joint. That said, it's hard to go totally wrong.
  • Franklin BBQ(note it's not "Franklin's". Call it that and you'll sound like a tourist)
    Good BBQ. No, great BBQ. The lines are no joke though. If you aren't out front waiting by 8am for the 11am opening most days you aren't going to eat there.
  • la Barbecue
    Personally, I think it's about 95% as good as Franklin and way less wait. Just down the road from Franklin if the line is too much
  • Rudy's
    Decent if you're looking for fast and easy any time of day. It's not amazing but it's not bad either.
  • Interstellar BBQ
    Not near downtown but it is within walking distance of my house. It has pretty good stuff and the smell of their smoker guides me there pretty often
  • Any BBQ trailer
    It'll be pretty good, just eat it
Other food
  • Food trucks everywhere. Just pick one.
  • Ramen Tatsu-ya
    My go-to for a quick and amazing ramen in town. About the closest thing you'll find to Japan style. Voted into Best in the US several years running.
Nightlife. It's Austin. It's what we do.
  • Sixth Street
    Are you in college? You need a cheap buzz? Like going deaf? Stepping in vomit fun to you? Here's your place.
  • Rainey Street or The Domain
    Work for a tech startup? Like to overpay for liquor? Here's your places.
  • 4th Street/Warehouse
    Hate drunk college kids or tech bros? You may like this more. Good clubs to listen to music that won't explode your eardrums at the same time
Sights and Scenery
  • Mt Bonnell
  • Pennybacker Bridge Overlook
  • Walking/jogging trails around Lady Bird Lake(Sound like a local, call it Town Lake)
  • Austin Public Library
  • Capitol Building - Haven't done it in years but we used to love walking around the Capitol Building and grounds at like 2am. When in session the building used to be open 24 hours. Wandering the empty chambers in the dead of night was awesome. I should check on that.
Shopping type stuff
  • South Congress is pretty Austin
  • The Domain - if you wanna feel like you're in California for some reason

All I had time for so far. I'll update as I think of things.
CB16, alu5530

Gladesmen

Dec 19, 2020

Rudy’s is good BBQ for third tier BBQ, Bill Miller’s is Good 4th tier BBQ but very good breakfast tacos. Tier 2 bbq would be Salt Lick or Stile switch Stile is better in my opinion plus you can see where some scenes of dazed and confused were filmed. The top tier BBQ would be La barbecue, Micklethwait Craft meat, and Franklin. I like Micklethwait the best great BBQ and much less line. But if you are in Austin you should swing down to San Antonio and have some good Tex-Mex.or swing by Fredericksburg for some German food. yes when you come to Texas you come to eat.
But the San Antonio missions (not just the Alamo) are really neat you can bike the trail or kayak the river.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Bronc96, Timothy

Rank III

Dec 19, 2020

You win, looks like amazing bbq from Franklinbbq!
bbq.png
James Tip, Pegasus65

Gladesmen

Dec 19, 2020

Oh yeah if the off-rodeo is at or near Hidden Falls you have to stop by Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls for some breakfast or pie. Then head over to the second largest outcropping of Granite in the US, and hike Enchanted Rock.
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
jdwin1989, 2askjoe

Rank VI

Dec 21, 2020

Sorry, but, I plan to attend this one and I'll bring some real BBQ down.
Raptor w/ lux package, orange belts. Code Orange.
BN #306
SlashRacer, Jakob1972

Rank VI

Dec 21, 2020

The four things never to talk about in polite conversation...
1. Politics
2. Religion
3. The Great Pumpkin
4. the BEST BBQ
‘22, 4 door Badlands, 2.3l, MT, MIC top, lux, Sasquatch, tow. Velocity Blue.
Build Complete --> 5/5/2022. Delivered 5/25/2022.
Bronco Nation #1115
alu5530, 1Five1 Garage

Gladesmen

Dec 21, 2020

Sorry, but, I plan to attend this one and I'll bring some real BBQ down.
Now thems fighting words. :)

I like good BBQ no matter where it comes from. As long as I can have it with a Big Red.
bdawson24, TXArchitect

Rank VI

Dec 21, 2020

Now thems fighting words. :)
Got some KC BBQ coming your way. :LOL:
Raptor w/ lux package, orange belts. Code Orange.
BN #306
Rincon, bdawson24

Gladesmen

Dec 21, 2020

Got some KC BBQ coming your way. :LOL:
Bring it!

No really I would like to try some.
alu5530, bdawson24