Flourman’s Comms

Flourman
Mar 03, 2022

Rank VI

Mar 03, 2022

Here is my comm’s set-up for the time being. It’s a growing set-up and I started small like a lot of people will. All of these radios can transmit to a repeater. These are all HT (handhelds). The HT’s are limited to about 5W transmit power (more power equals more fars) but I plan on putting a 50W GMRS mobile unit in the Bronco and my Tremor. I’ll put a “trigger” warning, transmitting on some of these radios on GMRS and/or Ham frequencies does not comply with FCC rules/regulations. Once can listen all then want. I’ve also got my GMRS license but not a Ham license. I NEVER TRANSMIT ON HAM FREQUENCIES.

I absolutely know that there are more knowledgeable people out there on radios but thought I’d put this out. If something’s wrong on this, let me know.

C73EA780-1A3F-426F-AF8C-7F8987C259F3.jpeg
From left to right - The venerable Baofeng UV-5R. The Rugged Radios V3 radio. The Wouxun KG935G. The Motorola XTS2500. This is also in increasing price. All of these are set up for GMRS with the UV-5R and V3 set-up with Rugged’s business frequencies.

I got into trail communications a couple years ago for riding dirt bikes with my wife and youngest. I scored a pair of Rugged Radio V3’s with a helmet comms set-up for dirt cheap. I’ve expanded my fleet since then. I’ll give my take on these radios as there is a TON of info on these out there.

Baofeng UV-5R
These radios can transmit and receive on the full gamut of frequencies. They are super cheap and easy to program with free software. These are “throw away” radios and run about $25-30 on Amazon. This particular one has an extended battery with USB charge capability. I’ve got all of my Baofengs (I’ve got three total) cloned with the same frequencies.

All run the Rugged licensed frequencies, FRS, GMRS, MURS, Weather, local sheriff/fire/EMS as well as the local Search and Rescue. I’m set up to monitor only on the weather, sheriff, fire, EMS, and S&R. The radio I run in my dirt bike backpack also runs a remote PTT (along with a helmet connection) as well as a CAATAIL antenna (https://caatailantennas.com/products/baofeng-wearable-antenna-package). These are handy radios but the older version is not compliant with FCC rules due to the ability to program them to do just about anything. The newer UV-5R’s are set so you cannot openly program them (unless you watch a few YouTube videos). These radios aren’t the best but they get the job done. Tried and true radio nerds don’t tend to like them due to frequency bleed and a few other reasons.

Rugged Radios V3

Originally these were picked up in a deal I got. The way Rugged works is the company owns the license to a handful of frequencies and once you buy a radio, you operate under their license. This is a bit of a loophole and I could be totally wrong in that. Rugged got in some hot water with the FCC a few years ago but that is cleared up. That was when they were selling a rebadged UV-5R (read why the FCC doesn’t like the UV-5R above). The V3 is a locked down version that take special software and cable to program. The software is like $50 and the cable is about $25. I have my two Rugged’s set up with the same frequencies as my Baofeng’s. It appears Rugged no longer sells the V3. Without digging too deep, it does appear their business band license still holds true and the V3 still has all the parts to make it FCC compliant. IMHO, out of all my radios, the Rugged’s perform the worst on GMRS frequencies as well as the business band. These run about $135 from Rugged

Wouxon KG-935G

This is a GMRS specific radio and can ONLY transmit on GMRS frequencies. It can be programmed to listen to other frequencies. This is one of the most power HT’s out there for GMRS with a full 5W transmitting capability. I have this radio setup to transmit/receive on all GMRS and FRS frequencies (abiding by all transmit power limits) which fully complies with FCC rules/regulations. It’s a nice little unit and weighs a bit more (which means it works better, right). I also have this radio set up to receive on several of the business bands that the Rugged’s have as many Offroad Race teams run on these frequencies and I may want to listen in. I’ve also got all of the NOAA weather stations programmed in. The Baofeng, Rugged and KG-935G all have the capability to tune in FM radio stations as well. I really like this radio it is very capable for an HT. This was about $140 from Buytwowayradios

Motorola XTS2500

This is my newest addition and a neat piece of hardware. This is also my first HT with digital capability. This radio can only run on 380-470MHz which limits what can be transmit and received on. For instance, this radio cannot receive NOAA weather radio or the VHF Ham bands. I can however receive GMRS/FRS frequencies. To transmit, according to FCC rules and regulations, you have to operate under a FCC business license. Again, I can listen all I want. This radio has the capability to transmit and receive on both digital and analog. When transmitting on digital, analog radios cannot understand what is being said as it comes across sounding like a tractor (well more like an irrigation pump). These radios also have encryption codes to only allow direct radio to radio operation. Motorola hasn’t made these in about 7 years but you can buy them surplus. This one was Milsurp so it has some other encryptions the civi ones don’t. I just got this radio and I am learning about it still. This one receives as good or better than the KG-935G does. This radio is IP66 rated and was used by multiple civil service agencies until better technology came along. This radio was about $250.
LoneRanger, Deano Bronc
Last edited by a moderator: Mar 03, 2022

No Ragerts

Mar 03, 2022

I feel so inferior - my comms…

E86B4560-CF6A-4F02-98A1-F24C5DF0A4D1.gif
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
76Copper, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Mar 03, 2022

I feel so inferior - my comms…

View attachment 30397
Don’t worry about it. It’s basically been a bit of a COVID hobby I’ve picked up. Radio stuff has always intrigued me but I haven’t had the patience to really learn about it. I’m not at all interested in getting a HAM license unless it’s for APRS stuff. I’d like to play around with other radio things as well such as LORA.
Deano Bronc, Bschurr

Rank VI

Mar 03, 2022

Are you saying you have those available, or you plan to take all of them? Seems like a lot of superfluous, and overly redundant, equipment.

Comms should also consider purpose, and audience. Who are you trying to communicate with, for what purpose, and what will they run?
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole

Road trip!!!

Mar 03, 2022

I picked up a set of GXT1000VP4 radios for around here on the trails with friends.

I plan on mounting a better radio in the bronco, but haven’t decided which one I want yet.
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
Deano Bronc, Flourman

Rank VI

Mar 03, 2022

Are you saying you have those available, or you plan to take all of them? Seems like a lot of superfluous, and overly redundant, equipment.

Comms should also consider purpose, and audience. Who are you trying to communicate with, for what purpose, and what will they run?

Are you saying I’m showing off? ;)

Current radios I throw in the rig are the KG-935G and the Baofeng’s. I’ll throw three radios in, one for the vehicle, one for another person that might not have a radio and then one for a possible spotter on obstacles. GMRS is the band of choice. There are others out there but GMRS and FRS are pretty easy.

When I’m dirt biking, I tend to run on the Rugged business band as their isn’t as much traffic. I don’t want to have side-by-side guys chattering in my ear all day.

Rank VI

Mar 03, 2022

I picked up a set of GXT1000VP4 radios for around here on the trails with friends.

I plan on mounting a better radio in the bronco, but haven’t decided which one I want yet.
We’ve got a couple of those too. We’ll give them to the kids at camp when they want to run off and play in the woods. Easy to check in with them without yelling all over.
Deano Bronc, SlashRacer

Rank VI

Mar 03, 2022

Are you saying I’m showing off? ;)

No, not how I would put it ;)
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Flourman

Rank VI

Apr 16, 2022

I just recieved my general GMRS license today. Can any one with experience explain how you use them on the trails and still keep within the FCC guidelines? I've used CB's for most of my life. Even had some powerful ones with all the "funny channels " and big 400 watt boosters...etc. Im a little confused about call signs and unit #'s when on the trail. I'm sure most dont use them and some use GMRS radios without a license. Just wanted to hear about anyones experiece with these. (WRQB553 MONITORING)
2021 4 door Badlands Sasquatch, Rapid red. 2.7, high package. Reserved on 07-19-2020, ordered 01-20-2021, delivered 12-05-2021
Deano Bronc, Hobgoblin

Rank VI

Apr 16, 2022

I just recieved my general GMRS license today. Can any one with experience explain how you use them on the trails and still keep within the FCC guidelines? I've used CB's for most of my life. Even had some powerful ones with all the "funny channels " and big 400 watt boosters...etc. Im a little confused about call signs and unit #'s when on the trail. I'm sure most dont use them and some use GMRS radios without a license. Just wanted to hear about anyones experiece with these. (WRQB553 MONITORING)

Most groups don’t use any of the standard protocol and typically run on 16. There is no FCC police and really no records of anyone getting arrested or their license taken away because they are following protocol.
I’m sure if there are some Ham’s in the group, they will use proper procedure.
Slownstddy