Facts About Crawler Gear

David
Dec 04, 2020

Rank VI

Dec 04, 2020

Here are some things that you need to know about Crawler Gear.
Facts about the Bronco Crawler Gear1024_1.jpg
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
srick76, Jakob1972
Last edited by a moderator: Dec 04, 2020

Rank VI

Dec 04, 2020

A visual for you to use when you educate others on Crawler Gear:

CrawlerGearGif.GIF
srick76, Bronc96

Rank VI

Dec 04, 2020

I learned to drive a MT on my Dad's 1975 Corvette. It had a similar collar to get to the reverse gear, so I'm familiar with mechanism. That thing had the stiffest clutch I've ever felt. Pretty sure driving that car was a better leg workout for my left leg than doing squats!
‘22, 4 door Badlands, 2.3l, MT, MIC top, lux, Sasquatch, tow. Velocity Blue.
Build Complete --> 5/5/2022. Delivered 5/25/2022.
Bronco Nation #1115
Jakob1972, TorgSurv

Rank V

Dec 04, 2020

Nice! I was wondering if the stick was going to have a collar. My very first manual had a collar, which I didn't know exist, and I couldn't figure out how to get my car in reverse. Lol. The guys at the dealership laughed with me
Deano Bronc

Rank V

Dec 04, 2020

I've never had a manual with a collar so I was wondering what it was used for

Rank VI

Dec 04, 2020

@David is it the standard push down on the knob and then left and up into reverse?

Rank VI

Dec 04, 2020

@David is it the standard push down on the knob and then left and up into reverse?

For reverse, you'll pull up on the collar, pull all the way to the left, and push up.
GaryB2220, JFord

Rank V

Dec 04, 2020

For reverse, You'll pull up on the collar, pull all the way to the left, and push up.
That's how it was in my 08 suzuki forenza

Trusted and Carefree

Dec 04, 2020

hmm. There was a collar like this on my old mercury. It was just a tube that pushed against a tab to keep you from executing a "reverse slam" at speed. I removed the mechanism for some "I can't leave well enough alone" type reason. I suppose if this collar is a similar design, one could eliminate it. Not really sure why you would do that, but I guess you could.
2023 Wildtrak. "Sometimes you got to get lost, to get found" -J Bronco

Rank V

Dec 04, 2020

hmm. There was a collar like this on my old mercury. It was just a tube that pushed against a tab to keep you from executing a "reverse slam" at speed. I removed the mechanism for some "I can't leave well enough alone" type reason. I suppose if this collar is a similar design, one could eliminate it. Not really sure why you would do that, but I guess you could.
It's less a tube and more a ring. Without it, I don't know what you would be able to hold onto to put the vehicle in reverse or crawler gear. Without pulling that safety mechanism up, you won't be able to use those gears. How did you put your mercury in reverse? (Please tell me it was a grand marquis)

Trusted and Carefree

Dec 04, 2020

How did you put your mercury in reverse? (Please tell me it was a grand marquis)
It was a '99 cougar with a 5 speed. It had a raised tab that kept the Shifter from moving over into reverse. When you pulled the collar, it would raise the assembly enough to clear the tab and get into gear. When all that was removed, it would just slot over. It was pretty low tech, but worked as a safety stop so long as you didn't take it apart.

I want to say my wife's VW has something similar on it, but I don't recall.

I have seen the kit to put a T-5 in an grande marquis. Those Panther-body cars were just like ginormous fat fox-body mustangs. I always thought that would have been a fun thing to play about with, but not enough money laying around to hot rod grandpa's car.
Jakob1972, GaryB2220

Trusted and Carefree

Dec 04, 2020

04+-+1999+Mercury+Cougar+in+Colorado+Junkyard+-+Photo+by+Murilee+Martin.jpg
You can see the tab here on the bottom right bolt.
GaryB2220

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Dec 04, 2020

Good info.

Wank ER

Dec 05, 2020

Volvo used the reverse collar activation in their manual drive cars in the "80s and with an overdrive button on the top of the stick itself.
1607129128047.png
2021 FE Cactus Grey

Rank VI

Dec 05, 2020

So this confirms that C is synchronized - you can shift into it at low speed and low RPM.

Thanks!
2022 Bronco BadSquatch, 1974 Bronco Ranger, 1976 Bronco Crawler, 1978 Bronco Custom
Mantruck, Bronc96

Rank 0

Dec 06, 2020

That 7 spd with the crawler gear looks really attractive to me. But I think the wife would veto it.

Rank V

Dec 08, 2020

Has anyone asked if its a hydraulic clutch or cable?

Rank VI

Dec 08, 2020

I don’t know of anyone using cable anymore. 99.5% sure it’s hydraulic.
Jakob1972, Bronc96

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Dec 08, 2020

Good question.

Rank VI

Dec 09, 2020

Good question for weekly Q&A.
Deano Bronc, Jakob1972