Engine upgrade?

4x4xFORD
Oct 17, 2021

Rank II

Oct 17, 2021

Any thoughts on Ford possibly expanding the engine lineup? The 2.7 is adequate, but even in the Explorer, the 3.0 is the top line option. The larger tires and associated rotational inertia make the Bronco a much better candidate for more power (torque really) than the Explorer. The Raptor is slated for an upgrade, but the general lineup is lacking.
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2021

Rank V

Oct 17, 2021

Really- the 2.7 runs very strong. With 35's and gearing it will hit 100 quick and fast. No wrangler will come close to it. I was very impressed. Lifts the front end and carries it when floored.
Past - 87 Suz Sam; 76 ChevBlaz14 Rubi 2 Dr -35's First Auto 4wd. Ox Wht 2dr Base SAS, bumper, Flr-lin, 2.7 aux switches.
Bike007b, BroncoFred

Life is a Highway

Oct 17, 2021

Any thoughts on Ford possibly expanding the engine lineup? The 2.7 is adequate, but even in the Explorer, the 3.0 is the top line option. The larger tires and associated rotational inertia make the Bronco a much better candidate for more power (torque really) than the Explorer. The Raptor is slated for an upgrade, but the general lineup is lacking.
By chance have you driven one yet? The 2.7 is very, very capable and robust
BroncoFred

Rank IV

Oct 17, 2021

I test drove the 2.7 last week and it felt smoother and picked up faster than my wrangler 4xe w/ 375hp 470tq. That said, I do want to tune it one day, if I ever get it
2DR CO FE
Bschurr

Rank VI

Oct 17, 2021

I have my 2.7 WT. More than adequate.
BroncoFred

Rank V

Oct 17, 2021

E5B ordered yesterday and 2022 Bronco Order guide on 44T page 5 says Trail control (GOAT CENTER BUTTON) AND Trail turn assist are standard equipment on 2.3L .See attached. Some reports are not on 2.3L engines! Who is right! Salesman never answered the question when noted in writing on Order Confirmation signed yesterday! See attached 2022 Bronco Order Guide

Attachments

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Oct 17, 2021

Tune+Downpipes+Intercooler+CAI you’ll have more than enough power
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics

Rank IV

Oct 17, 2021

I have also tested a 2.7 and am quite impressed, it’s no 5.0, but I think those days are quickly fading
Speed Devil

Rank 0

Oct 18, 2021

I was a little worried about the 2.7, but after driving a 2.3, I'm not. The 2.3 was about what I expected the 2.7 to be power wise, so im sure ill be more than happy with it.
BroncoFred, SuperMike

Rank V

Oct 18, 2021

No 5.0? Put the 5.0 in 5000lb + Bronco and I going to bet they don't feel a whole lot different. Get it up in the mountain thin air and I think my money is on the V6 Turbo. Your not going to put the top HP 5.0 in a 4WD Bronco. Too much stuff too snap and bend. Lots of mods required. Hence the Braptor. Love that name. Ford should go with it. Epic marketing availability with that. I see good co branding with a 2 stroke snowmobile mfgr. Bronco will be a good tow package for sleds. BRAAAP
Past - 87 Suz Sam; 76 ChevBlaz14 Rubi 2 Dr -35's First Auto 4wd. Ox Wht 2dr Base SAS, bumper, Flr-lin, 2.7 aux switches.
KennyMac, Cornwelltoolman

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Oct 18, 2021

I have also tested a 2.7 and am quite impressed, it’s no 5.0, but I think those days are quickly fading

Heres a Power Package from Steeda, all ya get for $1900 (current $1500)
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
BroncoFred

Rank V

Oct 18, 2021

I was a little worried about the 2.7, but after driving a 2.3, I'm not. The 2.3 was about what I expected the 2.7 to be power wise, so im sure ill be more than happy with it.

I agree with this fully... I have a 2020 Explorer with a 3.0 and I thought the 2.3 I drove this weekend was just as peppy, if not more so (lighter vehicle). The 2.7 should have plenty of torque and power.
Wildtrak ⁞ 4 DR ⁞ HOSS 3.0 ⁞ Area51 ⁞ Lux+Leather ⁞ Tow ⁞ MIC+Sunrider Top ⁞ Res 5/11/21, Rec'd 9/30/22
BroncoFred, Speed Devil

Rank V

Oct 19, 2021

$30 a HP is cheap- Intercooler is nice upgrade. Ford will have there factory tune which keeps warranty in place which is nice. The motor is more than capable of more power but that also means the potential to break things in a more dramatic fashion. I have had one go pop- it got fixed but it wasn't easy- wasn't even running the tune. They read on-line where I had a tune for the car. Funny thing was I was on my way to a track event in CA they invited me too.
Can a V8 Still Compete in a Turbocharged World? We Tune & Drag Race Three Trucks To Find Out! - YouTube

Rank V

Oct 19, 2021

$30 a HP is cheap- Intercooler is nice upgrade. Ford will have there factory tune which keeps warranty in place which is nice. The motor is more than capable of more power but that also means the potential to break things in a more dramatic fashion. I have had one go pop- it got fixed but it wasn't easy- wasn't even running the tune. They read on-line where I had a tune for the car. Funny thing was I was on my way to a track event in CA they invited me too.

Can a V8 Still Compete in a Turbocharged World? We Tune & Drag Race Three Trucks To Find Out! - YouTube
Stock F 150 2.7 3.5 5.0
Stock 6.1 6.3 6.9
Tuned 4.8 4.4 5.4 3.5 also had a Banks intake and was owned by the tuner guy. Where is that 5.0?

Rank V

Oct 19, 2021

Driven both the 2.3 and 2.7 in 2drs and 4drs. Both are fine, prefer the 2.7 for the 4dr but it is really marginal. Quite a few have complained of the 2.3 being sluggish.... too many variables to say whether their impressions are meaningful.
I own a 95 EB with the 5.8 windsor, lightly modified for a bit more umph..... I use to run that puppy at 110-120 on the hwys (speedo stops at 85 I think), but it is frankly a dog compared to the new bronc with respect to handling, drivability and power.
Also own and occasionally drive a staged ford racing modified 4.6 mustang and a 3.0 v6 supercharged audi (lightly tuned). Both can be silly fast, the mustang is guttural fun that can get out of control and the audi is much more refined and quiet, but honestly the AWD makes it much more peppy than the mustang.
I love a good v8, have had loads of them in countless vehicles. I drive lots of 4x4 F150 rentals, use to prefer the 5.0 just because it sounds really great, but the 3.5 has grown on me. This will be my first experience owning a 2.7 turb, but so far I have not found it under whelming.
95 Eddie 5.8 Windsor 2021? nope, 2022?, wait 2022.5 HOSS3.0 equipped WildTrak/LUX/Leather/MIC. 7/14 RES

Rank IV

Oct 19, 2021

Driven both the 2.3 and 2.7 in 2drs and 4drs. Both are fine, prefer the 2.7 for the 4dr but it is really marginal. Quite a few have complained of the 2.3 being sluggish.... too many variables to say whether their impressions are meaningful.
I own a 95 EB with the 5.8 windsor, lightly modified for a bit more umph..... I use to run that puppy at 110-120 on the hwys (speedo stops at 85 I think), but it is frankly a dog compared to the new bronc with respect to handling, drivability and power.
Also own and occasionally drive a staged ford racing modified 4.6 mustang and a 3.0 v6 supercharged audi (lightly tuned). Both can be silly fast, the mustang is guttural fun that can get out of control and the audi is much more refined and quiet, but honestly the AWD makes it much more peppy than the mustang.
I love a good v8, have had loads of them in countless vehicles. I drive lots of 4x4 F150 rentals, use to prefer the 5.0 just because it sounds really great, but the 3.5 has grown on me. This will be my first experience owning a 2.7 turb, but so far I have not found it under whelming.

agreed I like the 2.7, and it brings the smiles, but it’s missing something MEAN

Rank V

Oct 19, 2021

There are exhausts but I have other cars for that.
Munky

Rank III

Oct 19, 2021

My 3.5 twin turbo has a Wagner CAC and I run 5star tunes. They are working on tunes for the Bronco.. A CAC isn't cheap (the Wagner cost me 1k back in '17) but worth it if you drag race or tow heavy in the heat. I am not sure there is a need of one on a Bronco
Deano Bronc, Speed Devil

Rank V

Oct 19, 2021

That is Fivestar Tune in the video I posted I believe. Nothing wrong with that power at all. Forced in induction works and rules at elevation. Twins Turbos or a Blower. Have a Jag with the Supercharged V6-One of the best sounding V6's ever and puts the power down plus light weight on the front end = good handling.
Speed Devil

Rank VI

Oct 19, 2021

I'll take the 5.0.
Bronco Nation Member #0000
Instagram: bdawson24
Deano Bronc