Dealer Nightmare/Surcharge on Early Reservation Holders

huck2me
Jul 26, 2021

Rank 0

Jul 26, 2021

So I have had quite the saga trying to order my Bronco and things went from bad to worse over the weekend when I was at the dealer converting my reservation to an order. After speaking to both the dealer multiple times and Ford Bronco customer service I am not sure where else to turn but this forum for any guidance or advice.

I made my 4 door Outer Banks reservation on 7/20/20, just over a year ago. It was early enough that I received Ford's letter to Bronco reservation holders and poster in the mail a few days back. As we all know on 3/20/21 all reservations became locked-in to their dealers without any way to change while maintaining your timestamp/place in line. My reservation was with Koons Ford Fall Church in VA, selected because it was the closest dealer geographically to me at the time I made my reservation. Having not heard anything from the dealer about placing an order by April, I began calling the dealer to ask about making a conversion to an order and no one seemed to be able to help. Finally, when I physically went to the dealer on April 28 I was introduced to the General Sales Manager explained that "all Bronco orders go through me". I said great, I have a reservation and I have a few questions about ordering a Sasquatch package with manual but other than that I am ready to go. His response was, word for word, "If I order you a Bronco now how do I know you aren't going to turn around and re-sell it?". Mostly shocked at the callous accusation from a man I just met I basically just explained that my wife and I have had a reservation for a long time and and have been saving for this car that we badly wanted. He said OK I'll call you when you can order we are placing them based on the timestamp of your reservation. 3 more months go by and I don't hear a word from them until this past Friday, July 23. I get an email from a sales rep (not the General Sales Manager) who says they have 4 demos that we can test drive but they are not for sale. I immediately made appointment to come in that afternoon, took off work, picked-up my wife and we went in. We had a total blast driving both the manual and automatic transmission and asked if we could move forward with our order, to which they responded we could. It would be a $2500 deposit to build an Antimatter Blue Outer Banks, Sasquatch, Lux package with automatic 2.3L engine. I sit with the sales rep (again, not the General Sales Manager who claims to control all Bronco orders) and he tees-up all the specs and everything we want in the car. It's the same build my wife and I have made 100 times on the online Bronco builder on the Ford Website. The price comes out to just over $55K which is what we were expecting. The sales rep then takes both my credit card for the deposit and the build printout over the General Sales rep who is sitting behind a separate counter. After a few minutes the sales rep comes back and says, "Ok, for us to put in this order it is going to cost $5000 extra...you know because of demand." Confused, but at this point not caring because I just want the damn car I say fine. Sales rep goes back over the General Sales Manager for another conference. After a few more minutes he comes back and says, "Actually, because you want both the Sasquatch and the Lux it is going to be an extra $10,000". I about lost it right there on the spot that after a year of waiting I was now at the last minute being asked to pay an extra $10,000 just to place the order - keep in mind they had my credit card at this point to make the deposit payment. I pushed back on the sales rep who said the extra $5000 was because of the chip shortage. I immediately countered that the same chip is going in the Bronco with or without the Lux package so that didn't make any sense. He didn't have much response other than saying it wasn't his decision, he was just the messenger for the General Sales Rep. I very clearly stated I wasn't paying $10,000 over MSRP, retrieved my credit card and left without having placed my order. Or so I thought.

Here is where the plot thickens. I received an auto-generated email from Ford later that morning in all caps that read "YOUR ORDER HAS BEEN CONFIRMED" with the subtext "Congratulations on ordering your all‑new Bronco OUTER BANKS 4 Door! Your order has been placed with Ford Motor Company on your behalf by Koons Ford, Inc.. ". Below that was a detailed summary of the Bronco we had built down the tow hitch that we had added. Confused by this, I called Ford Bronco Customer Service this morning (800-334-4375) who looked everything up and confirmed the dealer did order our Bronco. After explaining what had happened with the last minute price mark-up, their own customer service rep stated that since each dealer is independently owned they can't control what prices the dealer charges, though they prefer that reservation holders do not be asked a price mark-up. They then admitted that what essentially is happening is because the reservation can't be moved to another dealer, and because Ford can't control dealer pricing, the dealer has us between a rock and a hard place and can use my reservation to order a Bronco for themselves that they can then claim was unwanted and sell to whoever wants to come in and pay for it. According to Ford's own corporate customer service, my two options are as follows:

1. Tell the dealer I want my Bronco as ordered and pay the $10,000 markup
2. Generate a new order from a dealer that isn't charging a markup and lose my timestamped reservation/go to the back of the line

To their credit, the customer service agent did seem genuine and sincere when she said she understood the issue but there was literally nothing else they could do. She generated a dealer complaint to go up the corporate chain but also told me she honestly didn't think it was going to help.

So I don't know what to do here. This doesn't seem right and this definitely doesn't feel fair. A year of being excited for this Bronco has quickly been reduced into anger and resentment toward a system that allows dealers to rake reservation holders over the coals. It doesn't feel they should be allowed to just spring a $10,000 surcharge on me at the last minute and then steal my reservation to convert an order for themselves when I refuse. Does anyone out there in Bronco Nation have any guidance or advice for me?
DSLBronco, OuterBanksCactus
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2021

Rank VI

Jul 26, 2021

Sorry to hear about your situation. I was really fearful of this type of activity last July when I placed my reservation as well. Really jumped into this forum and 6G as well. Looked at all the data on dealers and settled on Granger in Iowa rather than a local dealer. I may be further behind waiting since they are a popular place to buy a Bronco but I also have peace of mind these games are not going to happen with them. They have proven it to be true with their current delivered Broncos.

Now for your situation, it is tough indeed. I think connecting with others at Ford may be your best bet. It might be good for you to reach out to Mike Levine at Ford? He has been helpful to others in these situations. This entire reservation and allocation model did not work out the way it was intended I believe. Best of luck and I hope you get things resolved.
OuterBanksCactus, Bronc96

Road trip!!!

Jul 26, 2021

You are not the first person this has happened to. More and more dealerships are coming out of the closet now that orders have been placed and are charging ADM.
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
Bronc96, Hobgoblin

Rank 0

Jul 26, 2021

Sorry to hear about your situation. I was really fearful of this type of activity last July when I placed my reservation as well. Really jumped into this forum and 6G as well. Looked at all the data on dealers and settled on Granger in Iowa rather than a local dealer. I may be further behind waiting since they are a popular place to buy a Bronco but I also have peace of mind these games are not going to happen with them. They have proven it to be true with their current delivered Broncos.

Now for your situation, it is tough indeed. I think connecting with others at Ford may be your best bet. It might be good for you to reach out to Mike Levine at Ford? He has been helpful to others in these situations. This entire reservation and allocation model did not work out the way it was intended I believe. Best of luck and I hope you get things resolved.
I'm willing to reach out to anybody. This can't possibly be the best system they can come up with. Ford allowed us to make a reservation for a Bronco at a specific price point. After waiting a year, they are now allowing Dealers to change that price point on their behalf and take reservations out of the hands of customers? What if I wanted to hold my reservation and push to 2022? Now I can't do that because the dealer made the decision for me to place the order after I walked out. If you have a general email or some way to contact Mr. Levine that would be super helpful.

Rank VI

Jul 26, 2021

I'm willing to reach out to anybody. This can't possibly be the best system they can come up with. Ford allowed us to make a reservation for a Bronco at a specific price point. After waiting a year, they are now allowing Dealers to change that price point on their behalf and take reservations out of the hands of customers? What if I wanted to hold my reservation and push to 2022? Now I can't do that because the dealer made the decision for me to place the order after I walked out. If you have a general email or some way to contact Mr. Levine that would be super helpful.
The best way that I am aware of contacting him is on Twitter. I do not have an account but I know that he is very active there but Googling Mike Levine Ford gives a lot of options. @mrlevine looks to be his handle. Hope that helps.
the poacher, huck2me

Moab or bust!!!

Jul 26, 2021

You can also try his email - [email protected]
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
Bronc96, Bogeybekk

Rank VI

Jul 26, 2021

Way to go Deano!

Rank V

Jul 26, 2021

Sounds like somebody needs their ass beat. Did you ever sign anything agreeing to a price? Maybe go back and ask for a printout of exactly what it's gonna cost at delivery.

Then proceed with 1 star reviews on google, Yelp, any and every public space you can. I once had the owner of a dealership respond within 30 minutes of me leaving a 1 star on google. They invited me to their other location where I was treated like royalty and got a good enough deal to make up for the BS they put me through.
Sounds like an unlikely scenario from this Koons Ford dump, but at least save others from them.
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
Steve777468, Dblue40

Rank 0

Jul 26, 2021

Dealerships live and die by the manufacturer's customer satisfaction reviews, so if I felt bamboozled into this and I decided to pay the markup, I would be certain to give them the lowest possible ratings all around,. Then I would spend the equivalent of $10,000 worth of anger on making sure everybody knows how that dealership treated me and made me feel.
SuperMike, Rydfree

Rank 0

Jul 26, 2021

Sounds like somebody needs their ass beat. Did you ever sign anything agreeing to a price? Maybe go back and ask for a printout of exactly what it's gonna cost at delivery.

Then proceed with 1 star reviews on google, Yelp, any and every public space you can. I once had the owner of a dealership respond within 30 minutes of me leaving a 1 star on google. They invited me to their other location where I was treated like royalty and got a good enough deal to make up for the BS they put me through.
Sounds like an unlikely scenario from this Koons Ford dump, but at least save others from them.
That's the thing - I never signed anything nor did I pay a deposit because I balked at their $10,000 over MSRP mandate. They literally said, "In order to proceed with this order you have to agree to pay this on top". I didn't agree but they proceeded with the order anyway. I reserved my Bronco listing them as my dealer so they know they are getting the Bronco whether I take it or not. Since I can't move my reservation and Ford can't control their price they know they can ask for whatever they want and if I don't pay for it someone else will. It's the fact that they used my reservation to put the order through anyway that is getting me. What if I wanted to hold my reservation until 2022 when demand isn't as high and they can't get away with charging money on top? Now I can't because they converted my reservation to an order without my consent.
Hobgoblin, KennyMac

Rank 0

Jul 26, 2021

Thanks, Deano. I have now sent Mr. Levine both a tweet and a heartfelt email. I'll let you know if I get a response.
TheBoss1138, the poacher

Rank I

Jul 26, 2021

If Ford doesn't step in, sounds to me like they should go fuck themselves and you should go buy a Jeep instead. This kind of thing just shouldn't be acceptable.
Bandit Bronco, MDT

Rank V

Jul 26, 2021

That's the thing - I never signed anything nor did I pay a deposit because I balked at their $10,000 over MSRP mandate. They literally said, "In order to proceed with this order you have to agree to pay this on top". I didn't agree but they proceeded with the order anyway. I reserved my Bronco listing them as my dealer so they know they are getting the Bronco whether I take it or not. Since I can't move my reservation and Ford can't control their price they know they can ask for whatever they want and if I don't pay for it someone else will. It's the fact that they used my reservation to put the order through anyway that is getting me. What if I wanted to hold my reservation until 2022 when demand isn't as high and they can't get away with charging money on top? Now I can't because they converted my reservation to an order without my consent.
The order is still in your name. You will get a notification when it is built. You will get notification when it ships. Then just show up every day asking where your Bronco is. When it shows up and you sit down to sign paperwork, stand firm and refuse to pay anything over MSRP. When they want more money, adamantly proclaim that's not what you agreed to.
If they refuse to grant delivery of your new Bronco You ordered based on terms you never agreed to, it would be a good time to get a lawyer and make them start questioning some of their life choices.
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
Steve777468, MDT

Rank 0

Jul 26, 2021

If Ford doesn't step in, sounds to me like they go should fuck themselves and you should go buy a Jeep instead. This kind of thing just shouldn't be acceptable.
I was literally just looking at this:

https://www.koonsjeep.com/certified...irfax-VA-00422deb0a0e09711100bd16f103d376.htm
$20k cheaper without factoring the dealer markup.

I believe in Ford and I believe in this Bronco so I don't want to give up hope yet. This seems to be an issue with this particular dealer trying to take advantage of people. I've submitting a dealer complaint ticket and tried to contact Mike Levine - we'll see where this goes.
TheBoss1138, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jul 26, 2021

Maybe call the dealer and ask them to cancel the order? That's what I did and it shows on My Vehicles page.

My Reservations, Orders and Purchases
Preproduction computer-generated image(s) shown below. Not representative of your vehicle(s) reserved or ordered.

BRONCO BADLANDS
Cancelled Order

1/20/2021
Order Date

Order Number

5/21/2021
Cancellation Date

Contact Dealer

2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole

Rank 0

Jul 26, 2021

Maybe call the dealer and ask them to cancel the order? That's what I did and it shows on My Vehicles page.

My Reservations, Orders and Purchases
Preproduction computer-generated image(s) shown below. Not representative of your vehicle(s) reserved or ordered.

BRONCO BADLANDS
Cancelled Order

1/20/2021
Order Date

Order Number

5/21/2021
Cancellation Date

Contact Dealer

My problem is if I cancel the order then I will have wasted over a year of time from my reservation (7/20/20). Because I am suddenly in a position where I have to either pay a phantom $10,000 to the dealer or lose my place in line it makes me want to try and fight the system.
AcesandEights, Calgecko

Rank VI

Jul 26, 2021

My problem is if I cancel the order then I will have wasted over a year of time from my reservation (7/20/20). Because I am suddenly in a position where I have to either pay a phantom $10,000 to the dealer or lose my place in line it makes me want to try and fight the system.
Don't cancel unless you want to. That should be the last resort. I am hopeful that you will get some assistance from Mike. It appears that he is working on another situation noted on 6G from Texas where the dealer wanted $20K over MSRP on a customer order.

Rank 0

Jul 26, 2021

Don't cancel unless you want to. That should be the last resort. I am hopeful that you will get some assistance from Mike. It appears that he is working on another situation noted on 6G from Texas where the dealer wanted $20K over MSRP on a customer order.
I understand the dealers doing this in cases where they have an extra Bronco on the lot after someone backed out on their order...but for those of us who reserved early and committed to something it's not right to try and rake us like this. The Bronco Builder was live online when we made our reservations and they all reflected prices for builds that have been largely unchanged until now. If Ford says commit to this car at price X, how can any dealer just be allowed to change it and say we can't actually this for you unless you pay price Y?

Despite the price, again what I am upset about is I said no the $10K they said was required to order my Bronco and then they ordered it anyway. That is really what I want Mike/Ford Corporate to know.
KennyMac, Hobgoblin

Rank III

Jul 26, 2021

I would also print out the build sheet which you did so you have proof of the MSRP when you built it. Not that it will do any good but at least you can show the dealer is trying to take you to the cleaners.

Rank V

Jul 26, 2021

I admit
I'm not going to buy a bronco sport because of any loyalty to ford.
It just happens to BE what i like in the segment vehicles like it.
But i can say this having thoroughly driven and examined all the vehicles in the vehicle segment.

But about looking at jeep wranglers or Bronco.
Jeep can touch feel drive.
And not being able to drive a Bronco plus the holy crud wtF'*
ford cant communicate and reading this outrageous dealer vehicle hosstage pricing B.S.

Nope!
NO WAY would i purchase a vehicle from a GREED DEALERSHIP!

dealerships here with Bronco sports are saying order it with no upcharge. buy it off the lot there's an upcharge.
That atleast is an option that seems fair at this time. Even could say that for a year from now.

Hostage our orders
=Bad FORD creating the issue
=Bad DEALERSHIPS
AcesandEights, huck2me