Advocate II

Jul 7, 2020
Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Snow
Member #

I’d like to have a front and rear facing camera setup for recording things like particularly great trails, but would also like the ability to document accidents and close calls for insurance purposes (ie getting rear ended). With bronco having so many cameras already on board, does anyone know if it’s possible to make recordings from those cameras at all? What about the ability to have them record perpetually and then auto delete unless I intentionally go in and save something shortly after an event like an accident? I know I can do this with aftermarket cameras, but I’m curious what ability the existing ones may have.

ResidualGenius

Rank VI

Champion II

Dec 15, 2020
Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Loescher
Member #

I’d like to have a front and rear facing camera setup for recording things like particularly great trails, but would also like the ability to document accidents and close calls for insurance purposes (ie getting rear ended). With bronco having so many cameras already on board, does anyone know if it’s possible to make recordings from those cameras at all? What about the ability to have them record perpetually and then auto delete unless I intentionally go in and save something shortly after an event like an accident? I know I can do this with aftermarket cameras, but I’m curious what ability the existing ones may have.
The easy answer is no. Rumors are you can record to your phone app but not sure if that's confirmed. What you want is a true dashcam setup that is a looping recording triggered by G-Force or self-activated by button and with the option to record full-time too. There are a handful of options to meet those desire just depends on your price point. I'm looking at one and its about $400

Speed Devil

Rank IV

Don't delete

Feb 22, 2021
Eatontown, NJ, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
F

Pakrat

Rank IV

Supporter II

Dec 15, 2020
Lake Tahoe, United States
First Name
Jud
Last Name
Gutheil
Take a look at Rexing Dashcams. Sold on Amazon and elsewhere. About half the price or less than the one mentioned in this thread. Does everything that the one in the thread does. Very reliable. I've had a basic one in my Tundra for almost 4 yrs and no failures. I've got a more advanced one in my 4Runner with all the bells and whistles with no problems either. I did my research and for the price you can't get a better or more reliable unit. So many overpriced dashcams that last less than a year its amazing.

After talking with an engineer friend about this awhile back, he thinks it would be pretty simple to splice into the camera feeds and stick in a small digital recorder using the factory cameras. It is actually pretty stupid Ford doesn't do this. Just take a look at all of the Telsa Cam channels on youtube. Actually pretty funny stuff.

ResidualGenius

Rank VI

Champion II

Dec 15, 2020
Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Loescher
Member #

Rexing is a good one too but their 4K is only in a single channel, not a big deal but I like the 4k dual, motion detector (added security), and cloud. It all really comes down to personal preference and some just want it for accidents only, then I would say look around the $150-200 for that
My big question and I'm guessing we won't know but rumors are the LUX has some form of LTE compatibility? If that's the case the cloud option would be awesome on this too

ResidualGenius

Rank VI

Champion II

Dec 15, 2020
Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Zach
Last Name
Loescher
Member #

After talking with an engineer friend about this awhile back, he thinks it would be pretty simple to splice into the camera feeds and stick in a small digital recorder using the factory cameras. It is actually pretty stupid Ford doesn't do this. Just take a look at all of the Telsa Cam channels on youtube. Actually pretty funny stuff.
Now forget the Tesla part, those are awesome, and agreed stupid Ford doesn't do that at least on the LUX or maybe even the High packages

Reactions: dsnow58 and Pakrat

Calgecko

Rank V

Supporter III

Jul 28, 2020
Sacramento, CA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Brooks
Member #

there are options for 3 channel (front facing, interior and rear facing) dash cams on Amazon for about $125-200 ... $500-$600 is astronomical.

rwb

Rank 0

Advocate II

Mar 26, 2021
so cal
First Name
robert
Last Name
breit
Looking in to these as well. Any one used an exterior mounted one, dont like having them on the windshield.