Darn Hood Vibration/flutter -sport

TrailReady
Apr 07, 2021

Rank V

Apr 07, 2021

Darn this isnt something i'm happily posting about :(

Today on my 'finally got my Badlands order in' test drive,
Clearly could see hood vibration in the middle area. Which is the larger flattish area inbetween the formed raised left & right sides, which did not vibrate.

While stopped & engine on.
( turned off start/stop immediatly after turning on engine)
Could see the sun shinning on hood jittering/vibrating. Slightly yet noticeably too look at it.

On the fwy at 70mph, yes its noticeable. Where i would say from vibrate to then a flappy vibration.
:(

Sales guy is VERY good about details and knowledge.
He and i were going to look under the hood anyway...so we did.
He suggested, give it the best look over you can and move it around.
He commented air does get in there. They are built with aluminum. He commented other vehicles in the line up do this. He mentioned a few f150 being one.

So the hood is very light, as it should be because it's made out of aluminum. But I noticed the brackets that attach the hood to the vehicle seem to be very small.
They have a small attachment point. Not broader that may support some rigidity???
What I did was put left hand to the left corner, right hand of the right corner and sort of flex it.
give hood sort of like a little manipulation... the hood clearly can move a lot. (i'm talking about twisting)...yes bow'ing the hood!
And could move it to left & right.
( like a loose old wooden chair kinda thing)

I went back to my 2010 Tacoma just to check that out and it's definitely firm does not fluctuate or oscillate or twist in any way. Sturdy.

So... now I have read up about a little bit of Ford aluminum hoods and see that this is a discussion on other Ford product forums.

Okay now I said all that...
Anybody else notice this?
Or checking it out?
Or any feedback.

Thanks,
sorry to bring up this topic but ya know it's the website for it.

btw
i paused purchasing
Deepshag, 14U

Life is a Highway

Apr 07, 2021

Both my 08 and 19 mustangs have this issue. Most notably the 08. drives me crazy. Haven’t noticed whether my 18 Edge does or not. I will have to check
TrailReady

Rank V

Apr 07, 2021

Oh and a separate notation while the sales guy and I were chatting about the vehicle and the vehicle was off. Hood was up... I happen to put my hand on the edge of the engine compartment and could feel a tiny vibration coming from the vehicle. I mentioned must be something electrical running in there and he said yes there can be that. said I can feel it. He felt it too. Did Not hear it though.

Also I noticed the quarter panels edges that are folded over into the engine compartment are very sharp edge in.
My opinion suprised at that.
Need rubber trim or something on the edge of that.
And it does come across as I'll call it... thin material.
TK1215

Rank 0

Apr 08, 2021

Oh and a separate notation while the sales guy and I were chatting about the vehicle and the vehicle was off. Hood was up... I happen to put my hand on the edge of the engine compartment and could feel a tiny vibration coming from the vehicle. I mentioned must be something electrical running in there and he said yes there can be that. said I can feel it. He felt it too. Did Not hear it though.

Also I noticed the quarter panels edges that are folded over into the engine compartment are very sharp edge in.
My opinion suprised at that.
Need rubber trim or something on the edge of that.
And it does come across as I'll call it... thin material.
Yes, to all. I’ve been posting about this on the Bronco sport forum, specifically Bc once I installed the hood protector it seemed to get worse. The vibration you mention when off as far as the group has determined is a fan for the LED DRL’s. The Badlands has the signature lighting option, and yes I too discovered it and it appears to be normal. Don’t be surprised if you are on a longer drive that the LED’s stay on once the car is off on a bit of a delay, this apparently is also normal. I’m intending on asking the dealerships near me to help me review the hood flex. To note, my last car was an Infiniti Q40 sedan and the hood was pretty large and it also flexed at high speeds. Not as bad as the Bronco Sport though. I do hope you still consider the car if you truly like it, I think it’s got high points and low points, make sure it‘s right for you though.
14U, TrailReady

Rank V

Apr 08, 2021

Yes, to all. I’ve been posting about this on the Bronco sport forum, specifically Bc once I installed the hood protector it seemed to get worse. The vibration you mention when off as far as the group has determined is a fan for the LED DRL’s. The Badlands has the signature lighting option, and yes I too discovered it and it appears to be normal. Don’t be surprised if you are on a longer drive that the LED’s stay on once the car is off on a bit of a delay, this apparently is also normal. I’m intending on asking the dealerships near me to help me review the hood flex. To note, my last car was an Infiniti Q40 sedan and the hood was pretty large and it also flexed at high speeds. Not as bad as the Bronco Sport though. I do hope you still consider the car if you truly like it, I think it’s got high points and low points, make sure it‘s right for you though.
Thank you for your post and also TK1215!

>>> Your intending to talk with the dealership about flex in hood!! interested in updates on that!
I was wondering if putting a vehicle wrap on it would help or hurt? Guessing any thing could intensify issue on an already thin or flimsy structure. Rather than a firmer underneath structural better support.

As for manufacturing
Ford certainly must already know of these issues with the aluminum Hood fluctuating. And it seems the proper thing to do would be to fix the issue before it becomes a problem on your next vehicle you produce. Talking any vehicle even if it's already been on the assembly line for years and years. but that's just a thought right.....cuz its still happening?!

As i just noticed it at higher speed test drive and it caught my eye's on that drive for the first time, kinda jolted my desire to purchase.
Going to take another test drive on the fwy friday.
A bit longer.
See if its really eye catching or distracting... Or did i just have a wtf moment :) ;)

I will say
Looking into rav4 and cherokee engine bay. Hoods seem sturdier.
( meaning attached stronger and not flexibile) also the engine bay edges of quarter panels seem 'finished'
or steel for that matter, not simply left as a raw material edge. Those are inter-connected with other materials.)

What are the crash ratings on these?is that out yet. Guess will check that out again?

Rank 0

Apr 08, 2021

Crash testing is underway.05253A69-CF2A-4C6C-B68D-3E3CFB79FF4A.png
TrailReady

Rank V

Apr 10, 2021

had further discussion with the dealership about the hood and they say it is part of how they are manufactured. it's supposed to be like that. they told me it's part of safety crash ability and other vehicles in the Ford lineup do that. it is not something to be concerned about they basically told me it's how they are made. so there's that story. Take from it what you will.

I asked if they knew of any other vehicles in their line up where later they had fixed (tsb) the situation and resolved some of the hood flutter??? and they said no!!! they were not aware of any other vehicles that Ford did that with. Doesn't mean that hasn't happened but just to their knowledge. Asked cuz I was wondering if that might be a fix they might consider in the future.
After research goooogling further, kind of looks like it's part of the world of aluminum hood vehicles because it happens on other manufacturers to.

Something i have not experienced previously.

I did ask the sales guy if he saw hood flutter also on the Broncos sports and he said 'oh yes definitely' he said his Escape does it also but not as much as the Bronco sport. so there's that tidbit also.

Rank 0

Apr 10, 2021

had further discussion with the dealership about the hood and they say it is part of how they are manufactured. it's supposed to be like that. they told me it's part of safety crash ability and other vehicles in the Ford lineup do that. it is not something to be concerned about they basically told me it's how they are made. so there's that story. Take from it what you will.

I asked if they knew of any other vehicles in their line up where later they had fixed (tsb) the situation and resolved some of the hood flutter??? and they said no!!! they were not aware of any other vehicles that Ford did that with. Doesn't mean that hasn't happened but just to their knowledge. Asked cuz I was wondering if that might be a fix they might consider in the future.
After research goooogling further, kind of looks like it's part of the world of aluminum hood vehicles because it happens on other manufacturers to.

Something i have not experienced previously.

I did ask the sales guy if he saw hood flutter also on the Broncos sports and he said 'oh yes definitely' he said his Escape does it also but not as much as the Bronco sport. so there's that tidbit also.
Well, that’s a bummer...No clue how the hood could play such a role in crash safety. Oh well, guess we all gotta live with it as it can be quite violent on a windy day. I only hope nothing bad happens to me. Thanks for the follow up!
TrailReady

Rank V

Apr 11, 2021

Here is test drives.
Screenshot_2021-04-11-06-47-46-1.png

What my brain concluded.
While it may be 'part of how some vehicles perform' its not part of all vehicles performance.
Its not something i want to spend over $35,000 for to find out if i can later tolerate it.

Not to be disparaging about the Bronco Sports because I really do like many features of it. But when I told the dealership no thank you will not purchase at this time and they initiated sending me back my $500 deposit check from my order which will take four weeks as I'm told...
the floor sales manager big guy told me,
he doesn't know why people aren't taking delivery of their orders. He said that day they just had two Area 51 first editions that people had ordered and did not purchase. He said quite a few people are opting not to take delivery. We had a short discussion about it, but that's irrelevant as it's opinions that he doesn't know why others didn't want to take theirs.
I simply said,
I like it, but it is very different in ways i'm not used to. Yes mentioned the flappy at higher speed.
Not purchasing for me is also because of other reasons like vehicle size/type.
If i had already come from a vehicle in that size category the purchase possibly could have happened. Confidence in what to purchase matters for me. It makes it hard to have confidence when this really doesnt need to have a hood that moves. And the manufacturer is aware but apparently think visually or mentally people wont notice or care. Found out i do care!

Good Luck and ENJOY !!!
14U, BPreston

Rank VI

Apr 11, 2021

Darn this isnt something i'm happily posting about :(

Today on my 'finally got my Badlands order in' test drive,
Clearly could see hood vibration in the middle area. Which is the larger flattish area inbetween the formed raised left & right sides, which did not vibrate.

While stopped & engine on.
( turned off start/stop immediatly after turning on engine)
Could see the sun shinning on hood jittering/vibrating. Slightly yet noticeably too look at it.

On the fwy at 70mph, yes its noticeable. Where i would say from vibrate to then a flappy vibration.
:(

Sales guy is VERY good about details and knowledge.
He and i were going to look under the hood anyway...so we did.
He suggested, give it the best look over you can and move it around.
He commented air does get in there. They are built with aluminum. He commented other vehicles in the line up do this. He mentioned a few f150 being one.

So the hood is very light, as it should be because it's made out of aluminum. But I noticed the brackets that attach the hood to the vehicle seem to be very small.
They have a small attachment point. Not broader that may support some rigidity???
What I did was put left hand to the left corner, right hand of the right corner and sort of flex it.
give hood sort of like a little manipulation... the hood clearly can move a lot. (i'm talking about twisting)...yes bow'ing the hood!
And could move it to left & right.
( like a loose old wooden chair kinda thing)

I went back to my 2010 Tacoma just to check that out and it's definitely firm does not fluctuate or oscillate or twist in any way. Sturdy.

So... now I have read up about a little bit of Ford aluminum hoods and see that this is a discussion on other Ford product forums.

Okay now I said all that...
Anybody else notice this?
Or checking it out?
Or any feedback.

Thanks,
sorry to bring up this topic but ya know it's the website for it.

btw
i paused purchasing
I have a Ford Explorer and my hood visibly flexes in the middle while down the freeway. The hood is Aluminum and light so it's the air pressure moving it and won't affect the vehicle in any way. I got used to seeing it flex and it doesn't bother me anymore.
Wildtrak, 4DR, Iconic Silver, High, Camo Seats.
14U, Bronclahoma

Home, home on the range

Apr 12, 2021

I'm really hoping the 2dr Bronco I have on order doesn't have this issue. I wouldn't like that at all. I would still purchase the Bronco as there are other reasons for my purchase but hood issue would dampen my enthusiasm
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
14U, BPreston

Rank V

Apr 15, 2021

Reading up about other owners driving experiences of other manufactured cars like Cherokee Trailhawk there seems to be a fix for those... it's adjusting the rubber bumper stoppers underneath the hood.
Read they even have a tsb for dealership mechanics to follow a 'procedure to adjust'.

Like the Bronco Sport.
Still cant make a big purchase with awkward uneccesary flutter.

Fix is necessary TSB FORD ?

Rank VI

Apr 15, 2021

Reading up about other owners driving experiences of other manufactured cars like Cherokee Trailhawk there seems to be a fix for those... it's adjusting the rubber bumper stoppers underneath the hood.
Read they even have a tsb for dealership mechanics to follow a 'procedure to adjust'.

Like the Bronco Sport.
Still cant make a big purchase with awkward uneccesary flutter.

Fix is necessary TSB FORD ?
If enough people request it ford may come back with a resolution.

Rank V

Apr 15, 2021

Just seeing this post; have had an OBX Sport since early January; over 4k miles now and I have NOT noticed the condition described. Will keep an eye out for it and post if I notice anything.
FE: 4 Dr, A51, NP
BRaptor: HPR; Original GT Res - 7/14/20
14U

Rank VI

Apr 15, 2021

Just seeing this post; have had an OBX Sport since early January; over 4k miles now and I have NOT noticed the condition described. Will keep an eye out for it and post if I notice anything.
Some people never see this as they don't have a clear view of the hood down the freeway. If your tall or have a seat adjustment to raise your line of sight higher than you most definitely will see the hood at times flex in the wind down the freeway.
14U

Rank V

Apr 15, 2021

So I kept a close eye on the hood today and noticed very little if any movement at various speeds. Certainly nothing of note or concern in my opinion.
Deano Bronc, DRWright

Rank 0

Apr 16, 2021

Picked up my BB in February. Drive it to work every day which includes about 8 miles at 65-70 each way. I am tall, have a good view of hood. I have not seen even the tiniest amount of any movement in the hood, and for over a week drove to work at 70 in prevailing winds of 30-35 MPH.
If they're designed to have movement, should I be wondering why mine doesn't? I'm also in a Bronco Sport group of Facebook and out of thousands of posts I've read I *think* I recall ONE person mentioning this. Odd.
Ponds, DeepCreek

Rank V

Apr 17, 2021

Just finished my first road trip to Deep Creek Lake area, MD in a BS FE. A tad over 850 miles round trip interstate highways 70-75 MPH. Truck performed extremely well. More fun and a better drive than my 2017 Escape Titanium. Looked for but never observed any hood flexing. Had rain both ways, but didn’t notice any rain vibrating on the hood. At least for me, it’s a non-issue.

@DeepCreek beautiful country you have there. Spent a couple days hiking and photographing Swallow Falls State Park. Well worth the trip.
PSUTE, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Apr 17, 2021

Just finished my first road trip to Deep Creek Lake area, MD in a BS FE. A tad over 850 miles round trip interstate highways 70-75 MPH. Truck performed extremely well. More fun and a better drive than my 2017 Escape Titanium. Looked for but never observed any hood flexing. Had rain both ways, but didn’t notice any rain vibrating on the hood. At least for me, it’s a non-issue.

@DeepCreek beautiful country you have there. Spent a couple days hiking and photographing Swallow Falls State Park. Well worth the trip.

Glad you enjoyed it up here! The falls are a nice little hike and allow for great pictures. The area is great year round, although we are now in mid season. Come back and visit us again. Agree with you on the hood, I keep looking at it and nothing!
PSUTE, Bronclahoma

Rank III

Apr 17, 2021

I noticed it when I looked for it at 80 mph on the way home from purchase. Not bad, I really haven't noticed it since. I've seen some comments that some are disappointed that there is no insulation under the hood. My Badlands has insulation. Don't know if this would dampen the vibration some or not. Maybe.

My son says he notices the hood on his F150 bows a lot when he drives through the air curtain at the car wash.
DRWright