Console locking safe

ride high
Mar 06, 2022

Rank V

Mar 06, 2022

anyone have any experience ? wondering if your able to lock the key fob in the safe without being able to start the vehicle if you walk away. 2nd by installing this safe do you lose the key fob emergency battery start system ?
Last edited by a moderator: Mar 06, 2022

Rank V

Mar 06, 2022

anyone have any experience ? wondering if your [sic] able to lock the key fob in the safe without being able to start the vehicle if you walk away. 2nd by installing this safe do you lose the key fob emergency battery start system ?

It's a specific intent of mine to have this safe in my Bronco, and to keep a spare key therein. I think there is a very good chance that it will be necessary to construct or otherwise obtain some sort of small Faraday cage in which to keep the key, to prevent the vehicle from seeing it and allowing itself to be started by just anyone.

I'd thought, also, of a cruder alternative, of removing the battery from the spare key, but I've since come to understand that in the center console, there is a slot where you can put the key even with a dead battery, to start the vehicle, so anywhere inside the console might be too close to that slot of an unshielded key, even with the battery removed.

It's something I'll have to figure out once I actually have my Bronco.

The basic idea is between a spare key stored securely in the vehicle, and a keyless entry keypad, I want to be able to get into my vehicle, start it, and drive it, even if I lose my regular keyring.
May the Ford be with you, always.
On Order: Badlands 4-door 2.7, Lux Package, Velocity Blue, non-Sasquatch

Rank V

Mar 06, 2022

This line of discussion makes me wonder why modern vehicles don't support some form of biometric identification of valid drivers. My cell phone can identify me by fingerprint or by seeing my face with its camera. Seems that it would be technically feasible, and a very good idea, for modern vehicles to be able to identify those who are authorized to enter and drive them by similar means.
May the Ford be with you, always.
On Order: Badlands 4-door 2.7, Lux Package, Velocity Blue, non-Sasquatch
MrMRPhoto