Code reader

Cbhooch
Jan 08, 2021

Rank 0

Jan 08, 2021

I need to buy a code reader for my 96 Bronco 351 . Try going to O’Reilly ‘a to read to see what causing my ck engine light to be on. There’s don’t go that far back anymore . If I could get what name brand and where to order one I would appreciate it. Thanks
Last edited by a moderator: Jan 08, 2021

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jan 08, 2021

I have an Actron CP9175 that worked on my '96 when I had it. I bought it a long time ago, probably Autozone, but I don't remember. I'm surprised they didn't have a reader that would work. Any OBD-II scanner should be compatible.
Bronc96

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jan 08, 2021

Bronc96

Rank VI

Jan 09, 2021

I have a 96 Bronc and have the scan tool @TorgSurv suggested. It is great for the money and will Dx most of the issues that pop up due to the check engine light. It will clear the codes as well. (y)
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
TorgSurv

Rank 0

Jan 12, 2021

Question so I purchased the OBD II Auto Link AL319 when It’s running to read the code at the end it says linking error. I’ve turned off the vehicle for 10 Sec restarted like it tells you to do but still comes up with error . So initially the vehicle starts fine when 1st started but when I turn it off and try to restart it cranks over for awile till it starts . I’m just trying to find out what the ck engine light is on

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jan 12, 2021

Most will store the latest read codes on the memory of the reader. Did you try disconnecting it from the vehicle and then looking at what it read while it was connected?

Rank V

Jan 12, 2021

Get the free Torque OBDii app, buy a $10-$20 bluetooth OBDii reader that plugs into your OBDii port from Amazon. Cheap and works great, used them on Jeeps, Super Duties, Toyota alike.
2D BL, Sas, 2.7l, High, Silver 10:22pm 7/13/20 Res, 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/28 3/7 build dates
built 3/11/22, delivered 4/16/22

Rank V

Jan 12, 2021

Question so I purchased the OBD II Auto Link AL319 when It’s running to read the code at the end it says linking error. I’ve turned off the vehicle for 10 Sec restarted like it tells you to do but still comes up with error . So initially the vehicle starts fine when 1st started but when I turn it off and try to restart it cranks over for awile till it starts . I’m just trying to find out what the ck engine light is on
Most likely you have no power to your OBD port. Usually this uses the same fuse as your cigarette lighter power for some reason, check fuse #16?
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
Deano Bronc, TorgSurv

Rank VI

Jan 12, 2021

Yep
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole

Rank 0

Jan 13, 2021

Most likely you have no power to your OBD port. Usually this uses the same fuse as your cigarette lighter power for some reason, check fuse #16?
Yes you are correct the fuse was blown . The code states it’s my thermostat problem. So I need to change that . Thanks for the answer
KennyMac, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jan 13, 2021

Yes you are correct the fuse was blown . The code states it’s my thermostat problem. So I need to change that . Thanks for the answer
Excellent! (y)
1610538971378.png
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
AcesandEights