Rank 0

Advocate I

Jan 8, 2021
Summerville, SC, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Schoepke
I need to buy a code reader for my 96 Bronco 351 . Try going to O’Reilly ‘a to read to see what causing my ck engine light to be on. There’s don’t go that far back anymore . If I could get what name brand and where to order one I would appreciate it. Thanks

TorgSurv

Rank VI

Champion II

Jul 13, 2020
Moab, Ut
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Torgersen
Member #

I have an Actron CP9175 that worked on my '96 when I had it. I bought it a long time ago, probably Autozone, but I don't remember. I'm surprised they didn't have a reader that would work. Any OBD-II scanner should be compatible.

Reactions: Bronc96

Bronc96

Rank VI

Champion I

Jul 11, 2020
Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Henderson
Member #

I have a 96 Bronc and have the scan tool @TorgSurv suggested. It is great for the money and will Dx most of the issues that pop up due to the check engine light. It will clear the codes as well. (y)

Reactions: TorgSurv

Cbhooch

Rank 0

Advocate I

Jan 8, 2021
Summerville, SC, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Schoepke
Question so I purchased the OBD II Auto Link AL319 when It’s running to read the code at the end it says linking error. I’ve turned off the vehicle for 10 Sec restarted like it tells you to do but still comes up with error . So initially the vehicle starts fine when 1st started but when I turn it off and try to restart it cranks over for awile till it starts . I’m just trying to find out what the ck engine light is on

TorgSurv

Rank VI

Champion II

Jul 13, 2020
Moab, Ut
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Torgersen
Member #

Most will store the latest read codes on the memory of the reader. Did you try disconnecting it from the vehicle and then looking at what it read while it was connected?

okie4570

Rank IV

Supporter III

May 21, 2020
Oklahoma
Get the free Torque OBDii app, buy a $10-$20 bluetooth OBDii reader that plugs into your OBDii port from Amazon. Cheap and works great, used them on Jeeps, Super Duties, Toyota alike.

KennyMac

Rank V

Promoter II

Dec 7, 2020
Alabama, USA
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
MacAllister
Question so I purchased the OBD II Auto Link AL319 when It’s running to read the code at the end it says linking error. I’ve turned off the vehicle for 10 Sec restarted like it tells you to do but still comes up with error . So initially the vehicle starts fine when 1st started but when I turn it off and try to restart it cranks over for awile till it starts . I’m just trying to find out what the ck engine light is on
Most likely you have no power to your OBD port. Usually this uses the same fuse as your cigarette lighter power for some reason, check fuse #16?