Cheapest Gen 4 Build

Kid witha 89
Nov 15, 2021

Rank III

Nov 15, 2021

I have an 89 with a 300 i6. The engine doesn't make much power but I think it has enough low end torque for what I want. Any ideas on how to make it a decent trail rig for the cheapest price possible? I don't want an extreme rock machine or anything, just something I can use for general crawling without breaking the bank.
Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2021

Rank V

Nov 15, 2021

My base sas w/ 2.7 was $43k. You can base 2.3 but would probably want to upgrade the tires and stuff

Rank VI

Nov 15, 2021

Base 2 door Sasquatch with manual....only two options, Modular bumper and upfitters...stickers at 39,200
Have (2) 73 Broncos as well as a 2 door manual shift Velocity Blue Sasquatch in da house!!

Rank III

Nov 15, 2021

My base sas w/ 2.7 was $43k. You can base 2.3 but would probably want to upgrade the tires and stuff
I think you misunderstood. I already have a bronco (a 1989 fourth gen with a ford 300 inline 6). I want to know what things I should buy for it to make it a capable rig. I was thinking a leveling kit, 33s, and possibly custom fabbing a winch mount.

Rank III

Nov 15, 2021

Base 2 door Sasquatch with manual....only two options, Modular bumper and upfitters...stickers at 39,200
You misunderstood me a little, I already have a bronco. A fourth gen. I was wondering what mods I could make to it to make it more capable. That's why I posted it in the Gen 4 Modifications section of the forum.

Rank V

Nov 15, 2021

I think you misunderstood. I already have a bronco (a 1989 fourth gen with a ford 300 inline 6). I want to know what things I should buy for it to make it a capable rig. I was thinking a leveling kit, 33s, and possibly custom fabbing a winch mount.
Oh OK. Def a lift and at least 35" for more ground clearance. Want to make sure you have clearance and if you plan on water fording a snorkel
Kid witha 89

Libations MOD

Nov 15, 2021

That's a Gen6 not Gen4 as asked
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
Kid witha 89

Rank VI

Nov 15, 2021

You misunderstood me a little, I already have a bronco. A fourth gen. I was wondering what mods I could make to it to make it more capable. That's why I posted it in the Gen 4 Modifications section of the forum.
MY MISTAKE....gearing and lockers will make the biggest and most cost effective mod
Have (2) 73 Broncos as well as a 2 door manual shift Velocity Blue Sasquatch in da house!!
Kid witha 89

Rank VI

Nov 15, 2021

Whatever you think you’re going to spend double that budget because the first time you take it out things are going to start breaking good luck.
Kid witha 89

Rank III

Nov 16, 2021

MY MISTAKE....gearing and lockers will make the biggest and most cost effective mod
Definitely a good idea, I've actually been looking at a limited slip.

Rank III

Nov 16, 2021

Whatever you think you’re going to spend double that budget because the first time you take it out things are going to start breaking good luck.
That seems like pretty good advice, I'll keep that in mind while looking at some aftermarket mods

Rank VI

Nov 16, 2021

The 300 six is a beast. I wouldn't waste any money on upgrades to the motor. Just keep the air flowing by eliminating as many restrictions as possible ( intake and exhaust).

re-gear the differentials to 4:56.... get a decent suspension lift for clearance …. 35" tires … and you can do some damage to the rocks.

Some folks like the slush box automatics for Rock crawling …. but I'm a huge fan of the stick shift.

I have a 1996 with a 302. Anyone rocking the same set up in a Bronco or F150 with a automatic will tell you it is a dog … and severely underpowered..... but once you put a stick behind that 302 and let her over rev to around 4,000 to 5,000rpms.. she will smoke the tires …. and put a huge smile on your face. I swear it feels like she has a big block … with the stick shift.

But from 0 to 3,000 rpms she can't get out of her own way.
Kid witha 89

Rank V

Nov 16, 2021

The 300 straight six is a low end torque machine and is awesome for slow off-road stuff, especially when coupled with a manual trans which most of those Broncos had as the automatic was an option those years.

If you're not doing serious rock crawling a rear limited slip or locker is all you really need. If you're in an area that has a junk yard a lot of times you can find factory limited slips and lockers in trucks that had a towing package. Old, mechanical style lockers (like a Detroit locker) never really go bad so you can buy one and just drop it in your Bronco. If it's a clutch style limited slip, you may need to replace the clutches depending on how much it was abused.

Lift wise, 3" suspension lifts are pretty common for those years and if you couple it with a 2" body lift (which is cheap), it's super easy to get 36" tires under it. While a re-gear is helpful, it's not necessary for off-roading just know that it will be a pig on the highway. Off-road you put it in 4L and you're good to go.

A good resource is Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. They've been around a long time and know Broncos. They're very helpful and have all the parts you need.
https://shop.broncograveyard.com/1973-79-Full-Size-Truck_Bronco/departments/18/
Kid witha 89, paul rondelli

Rank III

Nov 17, 2021

The 300 six is a beast. I wouldn't waste any money on upgrades to the motor. Just keep the air flowing by eliminating as many restrictions as possible ( intake and exhaust).

re-gear the differentials to 4:56.... get a decent suspension lift for clearance …. 35" tires … and you can do some damage to the rocks.

Some folks like the slush box automatics for Rock crawling …. but I'm a huge fan of the stick shift.

I have a 1996 with a 302. Anyone rocking the same set up in a Bronco or F150 with a automatic will tell you it is a dog … and severely underpowered..... but once you put a stick behind that 302 and let her over rev to around 4,000 to 5,000rpms.. she will smoke the tires …. and put a huge smile on your face. I swear it feels like she has a big block … with the stick shift.

But from 0 to 3,000 rpms she can't get out of her own way.
My brother actually has an 88 f250 with a 302 and a stick, the thing's a boss. It's actually been wrecked into a concrete barrier at around 60-65 mph, twisted the cab on the frame, luckily the frame wasn't bent. The stupid thing still drives fine.
About my Bronco, I was thinking of just getting a leveling kit, some 33s, and a limited slip. I think it would probably be good for the light off-roading I have planned.
paul rondelli

Rank III

Nov 17, 2021

The 300 straight six is a low end torque machine and is awesome for slow off-road stuff, especially when coupled with a manual trans which most of those Broncos had as the automatic was an option those years.

If you're not doing serious rock crawling a rear limited slip or locker is all you really need. If you're in an area that has a junk yard a lot of times you can find factory limited slips and lockers in trucks that had a towing package. Old, mechanical style lockers (like a Detroit locker) never really go bad so you can buy one and just drop it in your Bronco. If it's a clutch style limited slip, you may need to replace the clutches depending on how much it was abused.

Lift wise, 3" suspension lifts are pretty common for those years and if you couple it with a 2" body lift (which is cheap), it's super easy to get 36" tires under it. While a re-gear is helpful, it's not necessary for off-roading just know that it will be a pig on the highway. Off-road you put it in 4L and you're good to go.

A good resource is Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. They've been around a long time and know Broncos. They're very helpful and have all the parts you need.
https://shop.broncograveyard.com/1973-79-Full-Size-Truck_Bronco/departments/18/
I think that's what I'm gonna settle on, a limited slip, and I was thinking of just getting a leveling kit with some 33s. I love Jeff's Bronco Graveyard, they have literally everything I could ask for and at some decent prices. Thanks man

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Nov 17, 2021

The stock rear bumper is perfectly designed for hooking a corner on rocks and getting twisted up, so I would recommend replacing that. Removing the stabilizer bars is also a very cheap and easy way to increase off-road capability.
emmwhoo