Rear wheel drive question

mdepll
Jan 18, 2021

Rank II

Jan 18, 2021

Can anyone explain to a novice SUV shopper why the Bronco was made as a RWD instead of FWD ?
Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2021

Rank V

Jan 19, 2021

Cliff's notes: Body on frame construction. Real transfer case. Truck based engineering, not car based....
'21 AMB Basesquatch 2 Door. 2.7. 569 days from reservation to delivery
Gutter Clown, Rydfree

Rank VI

Jan 19, 2021

Can anyone explain to a novice SUV shopper why the Bronco was made as a RWD instead of FWD ?
A FWD based SUV is not a real SUV. Thats a FWD vehicle with part time RWD kicking in when sensing slip. There are quite a few on the market that fall into that realm. The bronco is the original SUV. Ford actually coined the term for it with the 1st gen bronco.
Bronc96, Shadowblade

Rank II

Jan 19, 2021

A FWD based SUV is not a real SUV. Thats a FWD vehicle with part time RWD kicking in when sensing slip. There are quite a few on the market that fall into that realm. The bronco is the original SUV. Ford actually coined the term for it with the 1st gen bronco.
What is the benefit to having to RWD on normal roads?off road it’s 4x4 full time anyway.

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jan 19, 2021

What is the benefit to having to RWD on normal roads?off road it’s 4x4 full time anyway.
Traditional 4x4 setups allow for stronger, more customizable setups. AWD systems based on front wheel drive setups are for minivans and such.
Here's some reading material for you:
https://www.drivespark.com/off-beat/car-drivetrain-systems-explained-022723.html
broncoCrzy, Maggiep13

Rank VI

Jan 19, 2021

It’s about the 4wd system. A FWD vehicle that has RWD kicking in when slip occurs is not robust for real off road use. These part time systems would be overworked and overheated in short order with Some decent off road driving.
Bronc96

Rank II

Jan 19, 2021

It’s about the 4wd system. A FWD vehicle that has RWD kicking in when slip occurs is not robust for real off road use. These part time systems would be overworked and overheated in short order with Some decent off road driving.
That’s what I’m not understanding. Why a Fwd can’t exist to excel as a daily driver and switch to a 4WD. Why would I want RWD as a daily driver ?

Rank VI

Jan 19, 2021

@mdepll Driveability. RWD would typically have less impact on driver feel, torque steer (power transfer through the steering wheel). "Luxury" cars are also rear wheel drive. Front wheel drive is about economy, engine/transaxle, not engine, transmission, suffers from torque-steer, etc. Rear wheel drive is a better system (IMHO), but cars typically are designed for economy and price so manufacturers have designed them as FWD. I'm guessing you haven't been around a lot of rear wheel drive vehicles. They are better. Better at power transfer, handling, acceleration, braking.

ETA: here is a quick, down and dirty:
Front-Wheel Drive vs. Rear-Wheel Drive | Pros & Cons (autosimple.com)
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
TurboS-957, Bronc96

Rank II

Jan 19, 2021

@mdepll Driveability. RWD would typically have less impact on driver feel, torque steer (power transfer through the steering wheel). "Luxury" cars are also rear wheel drive. Front wheel drive is about economy, engine/transaxle, not engine, transmission, suffers from torque-steer, etc. Rear wheel drive is a better system (IMHO), but cars typically are designed for economy and price so manufacturers have designed them as FWD. I'm guessing you haven't been around a lot of rear wheel drive vehicles. They are better. Better at power transfer, handling, acceleration, braking.

ETA: here is a quick, down and dirty:
Front-Wheel Drive vs. Rear-Wheel Drive | Pros & Cons (autosimple.com)
Good guess and Thanks for putting up with my uneducated questions. Appreciate it. I will take a look.
Bronc96, TorgSurv

Rank V

Jan 19, 2021

That’s what I’m not understanding. Why a Fwd can’t exist to excel as a daily driver and switch to a 4WD. Why would I want RWD as a daily driver ?
Here you go, the original FWD vehicle:

1611025280665.jpeg

You don't want the the ruggedness of body on frame and a real transfer case, you know, a truck base. Buy a crossover, especially if you are a 7/13 reservation holder... :D ...
'21 AMB Basesquatch 2 Door. 2.7. 569 days from reservation to delivery

Rank VI

Jan 19, 2021

BTW, I didn't mean that statement about not being around RWD as a dig. We're all educated or experienced with what we have experience with. I just figured you're probably younger than me, 'cuz back in the day most vehicles were RWD. Seems it's all ball-bearings nowadays.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
Rhiostatic, Jakob1972

Rank II

Jan 19, 2021

BTW, I didn't mean that statement about not being around RWD as a dig. We're all educated or experienced with what we have experience with. I just figured you're probably younger than me, 'cuz back in the day most vehicles were RWD. Seems it's all ball-bearings nowadays.
I didn’t take it that way. Just trying to understand. Other forums would have jumped all of these questions for being stupid so thx for help. Trying to understand why bronco would be a better option for me as a daily driver that puts on a lot of miles and who deals with snowy winters and summers on trails and light off-roading. Want to be able to speak to the advantage. Thx.
Bronc96, TorgSurv

Rank V

Jan 20, 2021

I didn’t take it that way. Just trying to understand. Other forums would have jumped all of these questions for being stupid so thx for help. Trying to understand why bronco would be a better option for me as a daily driver that puts on a lot of miles and who deals with snowy winters and summers on trails and light off-roading. Want to be able to speak to the advantage. Thx.
That sounds like the Bronco Sport might be a good option. The (bigger) Bronco might be overkill for your needs. You'd pay for that overkill in mileage and maintenance.

Gladesmen

Jan 20, 2021

Fletch. I love it.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
AcesandEights

Rank II

Jan 21, 2021

That sounds like the Bronco Sport might be a good option. The (bigger) Bronco might be overkill for your needs. You'd pay for that overkill in mileage and maintenance.
Don’t want the sport. Want the real thing. Just trying to see what I can afford with light off-roading requirements and that can handle being a daily driver.
Jakob1972, Khayze427

Gladesmen

Jan 21, 2021

Don’t want the sport. Want the real thing. Just trying to see what I can afford with light off-roading requirements and that can handle being a daily driver.
Well, now you just need to decide what you must have. Compared to my daily driver ( or even my truck 04 F250 Lariat) a Base Bronco would be a huge improvement for me. My DD has hand crank windows and doesn’t even have cruise control. The base would be able to handle the off-roading you described with no issues, and it can be upgraded in the AM to be a very capable off-roader.
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Bronc96, TorgSurv

Rank V

Jan 22, 2021

RWD is also (in most examples) much better at getting a lot of torque to the ground, and way more controlled towing anything more than a few hundred pounds. And leaves more room in the engine bay for more engine! My preference in nearly every case.
Although my old Brat was FWD, t-case engaged the rear, and it had low range. It amazed me the places it could go. It was a fun, quirky little thing, even had the e-brake on the front wheels. I sure do miss it. But 2 range 4x4, truck bed (although small), A/C, and I averaged 28mpg. And it was built 35 years ago. Find something built today that foots that bill. Did kill my manhood a little when i got beat by a Prius in a drag race though...
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
AcesandEights, Jakob1972

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Jan 22, 2021

Because thats how a proper vehicle is powered.

If you want Front wheel drive primary with rear drive assist, buy a honda pilot. Its four wheel drive kicks out at 17 mph and reverts to front wheel drive.
Joined May 29, 2020 Member 546

Gladesmen

Jan 22, 2021

I can tell you this if you are used to driving a FWD and switch to RWD traction control is your friend. The one Con about RWD is that the back end can get loose on you when it is a low traction situation and you are taking off ( usually with some zeal). Traction control will really help with that. Our Suburban has TC and it has never really got loose a wheel my spin a tad but the vehicle stays controlled. Now my F250 on the other hand does not have TC and on wet days it can get loose, and is tons of fun. I suggest you practice in an empty parking lot on a wet day with the TC off just to see what it feels like and how to turn into a skid. You can keep the speed rather low to do this. Not trying to scare you I much prefer RWD myself but the more you know.
Rhiostatic, Deano Bronc

Rank II

Jan 22, 2021

I can tell you this if you are used to driving a FWD and switch to RWD traction control is your friend. The one Con about RWD is that the back end can get loose on you when it is a low traction situation and you are taking off ( usually with some zeal). Traction control will really help with that. Our Suburban has TC and it has never really got loose a wheel my spin a tad but the vehicle stays controlled. Now my F250 on the other hand does not have TC and on wet days it can get loose, and is tons of fun. I suggest you practice in an empty parking lot on a wet day with the TC off just to see what it feels like and how to turn into a skid. You can keep the speed rather low to do this. Not trying to scare you I much prefer RWD myself but the more you know.
Thanks. Why do you prefer RWD?