Champion I

Oct 24, 2020
Sioux Falls, SD, USA
First Name
Linda
Last Name
Fowler
Member #

Well, its a little helpful with a lot of info about every communication there is :LOL:
I think the op just wanted to focus on the cb part and cut the rest out :cool:
I have no other help than that, sorry
Well I did say probably ;)
I was thinking about getting a CB but after reading the post I earlier mentioned I'm not sure if that's the way to go.

Lester10-3

Rank V

Champion I

Aug 11, 2020
Montrose, CO, USA
First Name
Lester
Last Name
Sendecki
Member #

Some organized groups & clubs are still all Citizens Band. Others are moving or have moved to GMRS - FRS. Depends on who you expect to talk to. Probably need both for a while.

Reactions: TK1215

TorgSurv

Rank VI

Champion II

Jul 13, 2020
Moab, Ut
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Torgersen
Member #

I'm not sure it matters what type or brand. It comes down to personal preference and how much you want to spend. There should be a bracket available to mount an antenna to the trail sight, or I'm sure the aftermarket will come up with a solution for mounting one on the roof, roof rack, or rear bumper/spare tire carrier. The most important part is to check the antenna tuning with an SWR meter after installation, and adjust if necessary to avoid creating excess noise, prevent radio burn-out, and increase range.

Hobgoblin

Rank VI

Champion III

Jul 29, 2020
Milton, Georgia
First Name
MATT
Last Name
HOBBS
Member #

A CB is like getting the Motorola Startac cell phone today LOL
Go for an FRS or GMRS radio
I got my license and picked up a couple of GMRS handheld radios. Used them on a recent trip with the family and they were outstanding. Am looking forward to picking up a higher wattage base unit for the Bronco!

Bronco5.0

Rank VI

Promoter I

May 29, 2020
USA
Member #

Using standard 1979 circa logic you need the radio with the most buttons, knobs and switches with the longest antenna you can find. This works out to the
Cobra 29LTD with built in SWR and a 102" whip.Radio is only 120 at Amazon.

I would get a CB over anything else unless you are in a group with others on the other radio choices.(GMRS - FRS) Just kidding on the antenna get a loaded antenna, most are magnetic mount so mounting on roof might be a challenge.You could bolt a piece of steel to the roof stick the antenna on it.

Rexen

Rank 0

Advocate II

Apr 22, 2021
Michigan
First Name
SCOTT
Last Name
BAIN
Cb is where its at for me. I'm gonna try a magnet mount on the roof but might switch it to a glass mount. Not sure which way will work best...

Buckin Bronco

Rank V

Supporter III

Jul 13, 2020
Canada
First Name
Neil
Last Name
DSam
CBs are 10-7.

You'll want to pick up a solid GMRS unit. 2.1 or 3dbi antenna for hills/mountains/city. 6 to 9dbi for the flat wide open/prairie areas.