Calling all DIPSTICKS (2.7L engine).......

Broncofly
Jun 09, 2022

Rank VI

Jun 09, 2022

Soooo.......check those dipsticks boys and girls. Its been reported and Its been the case for me, that my dipstick is too long (keep the jokes clean folks.....its a family show). :p

Anyway........the topics been brought up in another forum and I've followed it and have discovered for myself that the OEM dipstick that came with my FE is the incorrect length. Apparently there are some new superseded part numbers so don't take my word for it, do your own looking around. For me, I purchased the new updated part number MB3Z67508B but now as of Feb 22 model year its been superseded once again to MB3Z6750F......... THIS ONLY EFFECTS THE 2.7L Engine!

Ford superseded MB3Z6750B to MB3Z6750F

The old (the one that came with my FE) has an "H" marked at the top of the yellow portion of the dipstick. The new updated dipstick has a "Triangle Symbol" at the top.

Below are my photos. For reference, my FE only has about 2200miles and I haven't touched my oil. With the old dipstick the oil shows the level ABOVE the curve in the dipstick. The new (UPDATED) dipstick shows the oil at about 3/4 full.

1C315C14-DA1C-4B00-BDB1-33B40E2BEA5C_1_201_a.jpeg

According the manual, the level should be something like this......
894BCFF7-410A-4A9F-A21D-7E1FDD66A14E.jpeg

Here is the before and after measurements I took yesterday after replacing the dipsticks.

A4E98A06-463F-47C0-82D7-8E6B0CAB5E99_1_201_a.jpeg

The new dipstick below......
E6B9D815-5A37-45BC-A964-C90A619CDF50_1_201_a.jpeg

Again.....this is my situation, do your own looking around, check with your Ford Buddies or a listening ear with the Ford Parts guy.

From one dipstick to another.......go check them sticks!!;)(y)
A big square Lightening Blue FE with puffy tires.....and a CB antenna for good measure! ;-)
Kenneth, WeakNinja
Last edited by a moderator: Jun 09, 2022

Rank IV

Jun 09, 2022

Soooo.......check those dipsticks boys and girls. Its been reported and Its been the case for me, that my dipstick is too long (keep the jokes clean folks.....its a family show). :p

Anyway........the topics been brought up in another forum and I've followed it and have discovered for myself that the OEM dipstick that came with my FE is the incorrect length. Apparently there are some new superseded part numbers so don't take my word for it, do your own looking around. For me, I purchased the new updated part number MB3Z67508B but now as of Feb 22 model year its been superseded once again to MB3Z6750F......... THIS ONLY EFFECTS THE 2.7L Engine!

Ford superseded MB3Z6750B to MB3Z6750F

The old (the one that came with my FE) has an "H" marked at the top of the yellow portion of the dipstick. The new updated dipstick has a "Triangle Symbol" at the top.

Below are my photos. For reference, my FE only has about 2200miles and I haven't touched my oil. With the old dipstick the oil shows the level ABOVE the curve in the dipstick. The new (UPDATED) dipstick shows the oil at about 3/4 full.

According the manual, the level should be something like this......

Here is the before and after measurements I took yesterday after replacing the dipsticks.

The new dipstick below......

Again.....this is my situation, do your own looking around, check with your Ford Buddies or a listening ear with the Ford Parts guy.

From one dipstick to another.......go check them sticks!!;)(y)
I will check this out tonight... Thanks
Bronco Hueso

I want to go back!

Jun 09, 2022

Just checked. My 4/18/22 Blend date bronco has the ‘H’ dip stick that is too long. I guess I’m supposed to buy a new one myself? Why isn’t Ford paying for these?

Attachments

Bronco Hueso, DRWright

Rank VI

Jun 09, 2022

Great information. Thank you for sharing.
22 Badlands | Eruption Green | 4Dr | 2.7L | Sasquatch | Lux | Tow | MGV | MIC | Mod Bumper
Ordered
: 11/27/21 | Production: 10/25/22 | Blend: 10/26/22 | Built: 10/26/22 | Shipped: 11/08/22 | Delivered: 11/09/22
Progress pics and full build details can be found in my profile posts.

Rank V

Jun 09, 2022

Incredible, a 100 year old auto manufacturer can’t get the dipstick right.
“BCH BRNC“ BlkDia 2Dr/MIC/2.7/AT/Carbon Gray/Mid Pkg
Res:10/20, Orders: MY ‘21 04/21, MY ‘22 10/21, Prod 8/8, Del 8/29
DadChris44

I want to go back!

Jun 09, 2022

A typical car has 30,000 parts. And Ford has well over 1,000 different suppliers. A small change in design for one part can have enormous downstream impacts across several different suppliers. Stuff like this happens.
Crawler Green, 210superair

Burrito Connoisseur

Jun 09, 2022

A typical car has 30,000 parts. And Ford has well over 1,000 different suppliers. A small change in design for one part can have enormous downstream impacts across several different suppliers. Stuff like this happens.
Unfortunately… it does.

Especially on a brand new vehicle. An issue like this is exactly why many people refused to by the first year of a new generation vehicle.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
Bronco Hueso, J.bell

I want to go back!

Jun 09, 2022

Unfortunately… it does.

Especially on a brand new vehicle. An issue like this is exactly why many people refused to by the first year of a new generation vehicle.
While I hope that Ford will pay for a replacement, I’m just thankful this is literately the easiest part of the engine to replace. It could be far worse. Can you imagine if the dipstick was correct but the engine block was made wrong? Pretty lucky if you ask me.
Bronco Hueso, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jun 09, 2022

They are at the mercy of suppliers. You can assume it’s a design flaw but it could be mistake by the supplier. Either way, EVERY manufacturer runs into issues like this with new models.
Bronco Hueso, Crawler Green

No Ragerts

Jun 09, 2022

Awwww crap - I have the “H” dipstick!
9/9/21 Blend Date & engine code 21207

And, I just had the oil changed last week at my dealership.

WHAT IS THE FIX HERE? Is @Ford Motor Company supplying replacement dipsticks?

8D871D3A-269A-4CDC-BE57-AB0DAF09F708.jpeg
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)

Rank V

Jun 09, 2022

This is quite possibly the funniest thing I've read all week... nice work. :ROFLMAO:
Wildtrak ⁞ 4 DR ⁞ HOSS 3.0 ⁞ Area51 ⁞ Lux+Leather ⁞ Tow ⁞ MIC+Sunrider Top ⁞ Res 5/11/21, Rec'd 9/30/22
Bronco Hueso, Crawler Green

Rank V

Jun 09, 2022

7qts out, 7 qts in, no dipstick needed other than to keep dust out of the dipstick tube lol.
2D BL, Sas, 2.7l, High, Silver 10:22pm 7/13/20 Res, 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/28 3/7 build dates
built 3/11/22, delivered 4/16/22
Mikey D, Sdge

Beers, Broncos, and Battlestar Galactica

Jun 09, 2022

Thank you for raising our collective awareness of this matter, Paul! Readings are meaningless if the measuring device itself is flawed. :oops:
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch • 2-Door • Velocity Blue • 2.7L V6 • 10-Speed • Lux • Various Mods...
"True happiness is to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future." - SENECA
Bronco Hueso

Rank VI

Jun 10, 2022

The old stick works fine as long as you know where full is. That being said, I’ll take a new one when/if Ford provides a free one through a recall.
kimmiemom

Rank VI

Jul 14, 2022

And all this time I thought a dipstick was just there to use as a Slim Jim incase you get locked out of your car. :geek:

Learn something new everyday. Lol
Wildtrak, 4DR, Iconic Silver, High, Camo Seats.
Mikey D, Bronco Hueso

Rank III

Jul 15, 2022

H on my dipstick too. Wont fret much over it, but I did think the oil level was "higher" than it should be, til now. Thanks for this post.
'22 2.7 Auto 4dr A51 Bad Sas Lux MIC
Bronco Hueso

Rank III

Jul 15, 2022

curiously i was just reading about the old Pontiac Fiero, a early 90's vehicle cobbled together with parts from the entire GM catalog. They also had dipstick issues- heh - and it led to such widepread engine fires, that Ralph Nader blackballed it.
SittinWaitinWatchin.'22 Outer Banks 4D Velocity Blue Outer Banks LuxSquatch
05 Escape LTD-RIP 86 Bronco II&97 Explorer

Rank IV

Jul 18, 2022

Literally nobody has these. I ordered from 3 websites that were all canceled, I called 38 dealers across the US and there's one, robert horne ford, in Arizona that has a few, but won't ship even to another dealer, without an explanation. I even offered them $50 over the price to ship it. Their parts manager is a joke. If anyone lives near them I will pay you to buy it and ship it to me.

Please ford get on this! I just had my oil changed at a ford dealership and they filled it to the line, 6 quarts. I had to tell them to check specs and they fixed it, but they had no idea about the issue.
Bronco Hueso, Bronco 202?

Rank III

Aug 05, 2022

Just a little update on this issue. Found out yesterday that the "updated" dipstick is allegedly on national back order with no resolution date according to parts mangers at two different Ford dealerships. And to make things even more confusing, read a snippet that Ford allegedly released an update to the service manual for the 2.7 in the Bronco LOWERING the oil fill capacity to 6 quarts from what it had been, 7 quarts. I guess making that small electronic change is way cheaper than replacing thousands of dipsticks. I am in the process of trying to find independent confirmation of the capacity change in the service manual. If that winds up to be confirmed, something is not right at Ford.
2022 Bronco "Black Diamond" 4DR hard top, 2.7 V6 in "Area 51"
Bronco Hueso, Deano Bronc

Rank III

Aug 05, 2022

Just a little update on this issue. Found out yesterday that the "updated" dipstick is allegedly on national back order with no resolution date according to parts mangers at two different Ford dealerships. And to make things even more confusing, read a snippet that Ford allegedly released an update to the service manual for the 2.7 in the Bronco LOWERING the oil fill capacity to 6 quarts from what it had been, 7 quarts. I guess making that small electronic change is way cheaper than replacing thousands of dipsticks. I am in the process of trying to find independent confirmation of the capacity change in the service manual. If that winds up to be confirmed, something is not right at Ford.
Just did some checking, and the electronic version of the owners manual I downloaded when receiving my Bronco clearly states a 7 quart maintenance fill after changing oil and filter. So does the electronic service manual I purchased. The latest electronic owners manual for the Bronco, MY 22, on the FORD site, now shows a 6 quart maintenance fill.

So either the part number for the 2.7 engine oil pan has changed mid model year which requires less oil, or the documentation was incorrect initially showing 7 quarts, vs 6, or Ford simply lowered the oil fill capacity, so the level would read correctly on the original dipsticks, rather than send out new slightly shorter dipsticks. I've no way to check oil pan part numbers to see if there has been a mid model year change, which would logically explain the lower oil fill capacity. It's impossible to know what the right answer is here, but what is suspicious, is the fact that on my Bronco, and on the OP's, the oil level was significantly over the "normal" full mark from the factory, AND Ford has an updated part number for the oil dipstick which indicates correctly for a 7 quart fill, but is mysteriously not available.
So thanks to Broncofly, the OP, I've now scribed my dipstick to show where 7 quarts should show and will continue to use the 7 quart maintenance fill quantity.
It will be interesting to see what, if any issues materialize on 2.7 Bronco's where 6 quarts are used as the fill capacity vs 7.
2022 Bronco "Black Diamond" 4DR hard top, 2.7 V6 in "Area 51"
Bronco Hueso