Bronco Sport Badlands Does Colorado – You Should Too

Laura
Sep 01, 2022
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Sep 01, 2022

It was this time last year Bronco Nation set out from Detroit, Michigan to Buena Vista, Colorado. I had dropped off my Jeep in a holding lot so I could leave with a 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, and I’d be tailing our Bronco out to Super Celebration West.

The goal? To see how the Bronco Sport handled the trails of Colorado.

Dispelling the Myth
You’ve heard what people say about the smaller Bronco. You may have said it yourself: The Sport, with its Escape-based construction, is not a “real” Bronco. Coming from XJs, I got that all the time: Only Wranglers were true Jeeps, not the unibodies I drove.

However, I’m betting most of the people who speak ill of the Sport have never taken a First Edition or Badlands off road. In our Badlands, we accomplished just as much stock with 8” of clearance as the Broncos did on 33s and 37s .

Did we have to be choosy with our lines? Yes. Was the hardest trail we did rated moderate? Yes. Did we still dent in the lower portion of the front bumper a little? Yep. But we made it miles into the backcountry and up to 13,000 feet while having a ton of fun, making that vehicle, in my opinion, a real Bronco.

Read how the trails on the trip went down.
2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
Keeping the Jeeps: stock '89 XJ and 3.5" lifted '00 XJ on 31s
BRUNCLE, TorgSurv
Last edited by a moderator: Sep 01, 2022

Burrito Connoisseur

Sep 01, 2022

Awesome write-up.

The original plan was get Bronco Sport as the general purpose family vehicle, and then get a full-sized Bronco as the weekend fun / vacation vehicle. Unfortunately a suicidal oak tree smashed my wife's Focus... so... needless to say a Plan B was warranted. Instead of a Bronco Sport, I ended up with an Escape AWD.

For the past year the Escape has been our do-everything vehicle—cause... well... still waiting for the Bronco. And that Escape is WAY more capable than I expected. A handful of camping trips, ski trips during snow storms, trips to the beach in sand—that thing is fantastic. I would imagine the Bronco Sport Badlands with its psuedo-rear locker and GOAT modes would be plenty of capability for the vast majority of people.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
TorgSurv, Laura

Gladesmen

Sep 01, 2022

It was this time last year Bronco Nation set out from Detroit, Michigan to Buena Vista, Colorado. I had dropped off my Jeep in a holding lot so I could leave with a 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, and I’d be tailing our Bronco out to Super Celebration West.

The goal? To see how the Bronco Sport handled the trails of Colorado.

Dispelling the Myth
You’ve heard what people say about the smaller Bronco. You may have said it yourself: The Sport, with its Escape-based construction, is not a “real” Bronco. Coming from XJs, I got that all the time: Only Wranglers were true Jeeps, not the unibodies I drove.

However, I’m betting most of the people who speak ill of the Sport have never taken a First Edition or Badlands off road. In our Badlands, we accomplished just as much stock with 8” of clearance as the Broncos did on 33s and 37s .

Did we have to be choosy with our lines? Yes. Was the hardest trail we did rated moderate? Yes. Did we still dent in the lower portion of the front bumper a little? Yep. But we made it miles into the backcountry and up to 13,000 feet while having a ton of fun, making that vehicle, in my opinion, a real Bronco.

Read how the trails on the trip went down.
The sport has done hells revenge. That’s a bit of a mic drop moment really. It gets you out on the trail so it’s good in my book.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
TorgSurv, RagnarKon

No Ragerts

Sep 01, 2022

I really love my Bronco and the Sport is also quite capable.

I just ordered a pair of 2023 Bronco Sports for my company and expect delivery end of the year. I think my employees will like them and enjoy their capabilities!
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Laura, TorgSurv

Rank VI

Sep 01, 2022

Sounds like a fun trip. The Sport is great for "Overlanding" and dirt roads. You can still get out there and see the scenic country side but owners of sports have to just know their limitations. Still a unibody vehicle that shouldn't be pushed too hard on the trails. Doing it like you did is perfect though and still fun! I hope to see more bronco sports on trails and I wouldn't mind getting a bronco sport for my daily driver one day. Hope to make it to a super celebration next year
MY21 2dr Black Diamond 7MT Velocity Blue!
Laura, TorgSurv

Rank IV

Sep 01, 2022

Very cool! Thanks for the read.
- seatback covers from amazon.com - DIY windshield film from grab-gard.com - grab handles from bartact
Laura