Bronco Fails Inspection..

Bronc95

Rank 0

Advocate II

May 22, 2020
Pennsylvania, USA
Dear 5th Gen owners,
My 1995 Ford Bronco went in for its annual inspection, and sadly it failed for numerous items. The oil pan is leaking heavily from its gasket and the head of a bolt on the exhaust manifold snapped off. I was curious on if I need to pull the motor out to do a quality job on the oil pan, secondly how to manage the snapped head and the stuck bolt? It seems to be leaning more to pull the motor and fix it all but I would like to avoid it if I could!

Thanks,
John

Attachments

Reactions: TK1215

JFord

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 18, 2020
California, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Ford
Member #

Supposedly you can change the pan without pulling the motor but you have to pull the mounts and lift it to get the pan to clear the crank and pump pickup. I would be more worried about the broken bolt. You may have to pull the motor if it needs the easy out.

Rgwinn

Rank VI

Champion III

Jul 20, 2020
Salem, OR, USA
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Gwinn
Member #

At that point, it would make sense to just take it out as you mentioned. Thank you men!
I would do a compression check before you pull it out, that will give you an idea of how the rings are. You may want to do a top end rebuild, and change out some of your other gaskets, here is an article on when to know to rebuild;

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Don't delete

Aug 7, 2020
Atkinson, NH
First Name
Warren
Last Name
Parlee
Member #

Reactions: TK1215 and Rgwinn

Rgwinn

Rank VI

Champion III

Jul 20, 2020
Salem, OR, USA
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Gwinn
Member #

• Love
Reactions: TK1215 and BuzzyBud

1Five1 Garage

Rank IV

Super Supporter III

Apr 26, 2021
port saint lucie
First Name
SHAWN
Last Name
PATTEN
How much is left of the bolt? I have heated up the broken bolt with a torch and was able to remove it. Otherwise, you will have to drill it out. If you aren't sure you can do it without drilling into the head, get a machine shop to do it.

paul rondelli

Rank V

Supporter II

May 21, 2020
Suwanee, GA, USA
Second on pulling the motor out.

Those exhaust bolts are prone to snapping. If you want to try and remove them ... having the motor out will make it easier. I would just cut the exhaust manifold off at the connector for removal and replace with some shorty headers on re -installation. Do the rear main seal with the motor out ...... and defintely replace the oil pump ( while it is out) unless it has already been replaced. As stated check compression to ensure she still has plenty more miles left. If you have to pull the heads to get a machine shop to remove the bolts ... It wouldn't be a ton more work to put in a mild cam .. and replace the timing chain.

With some shorty headers and a mild cam she will gain some decent POWER.