Bronco Fails Inspection..

Bronc95
May 23, 2021

Rank 0

May 23, 2021

Dear 5th Gen owners,
My 1995 Ford Bronco went in for its annual inspection, and sadly it failed for numerous items. The oil pan is leaking heavily from its gasket and the head of a bolt on the exhaust manifold snapped off. I was curious on if I need to pull the motor out to do a quality job on the oil pan, secondly how to manage the snapped head and the stuck bolt? It seems to be leaning more to pull the motor and fix it all but I would like to avoid it if I could!

Thanks,
John

Attachments

TK1215
Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2021

Gladesmen

May 23, 2021

If you pull the motor it might be time for a full rebuild. I don’t know about the Bronco but it was pretty easy on my F250. I did it in my gravel driveway I had to pull the truck out from under the engine hoist.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Rgwinn, TK1215

Rank VI

May 23, 2021

Supposedly you can change the pan without pulling the motor but you have to pull the mounts and lift it to get the pan to clear the crank and pump pickup. I would be more worried about the broken bolt. You may have to pull the motor if it needs the easy out.
TK1215, 1Five1 Garage

Rank 0

May 23, 2021

At that point, it would make sense to just take it out as you mentioned. Thank you men!
TK1215, Rgwinn

Rank VI

May 23, 2021

At that point, it would make sense to just take it out as you mentioned. Thank you men!
I would do a compression check before you pull it out, that will give you an idea of how the rings are. You may want to do a top end rebuild, and change out some of your other gaskets, here is an article on when to know to rebuild;
https://www.onallcylinders.com/2016...-needs-a-rebuild-without-a-complete-teardown/
Ordered: 4-Door First Edition - Rapid Red - Black Seats - MIC Top - Build Date: 10/25
In Garage: ‘62 Red Vette - ‘07 Black Shelby Ragtop - ‘21 F150 Platinum PowerBoost - Rapid Red
Deano Bronc, TK1215

Rank VI

May 23, 2021

And just saw this old brochure on Ford.com; kind of cool that they still have these;
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...sovers/bronco/pdf/95_Ford_Bronco_Brochure.pdf
Ordered: 4-Door First Edition - Rapid Red - Black Seats - MIC Top - Build Date: 10/25
In Garage: ‘62 Red Vette - ‘07 Black Shelby Ragtop - ‘21 F150 Platinum PowerBoost - Rapid Red
TK1215, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

May 23, 2021

And just saw this old brochure on Ford.com; kind of cool that they still have these;
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...sovers/bronco/pdf/95_Ford_Bronco_Brochure.pdf

Thank you for posting the brochure. I found the exterior color options fascinating. Not many gray options. Haha! Times have changed!
TK1215, Rgwinn

Rank VI

May 23, 2021

Thank you for posting the brochure. I found the exterior color options fascinating. Not many gray options. Haha! Times have changed!
Apparently it’s under the Bronco Family on the website, and all the generations are listed;
https://www.ford.com/bronco/history/1966-1977/?intcmp=brnco-brand-cta-history
TK1215, BuzzyBud

Rank V

May 23, 2021

How much is left of the bolt? I have heated up the broken bolt with a torch and was able to remove it. Otherwise, you will have to drill it out. If you aren't sure you can do it without drilling into the head, get a machine shop to do it.
Bronco Badlands, Bronco Black Diamond, Bronco Big Bend, & Bronco Sport Badlands
www.youtube.com/1five1garage
TK1215, Sdakotabronco

Rank VI

May 24, 2021

Second on pulling the motor out.

Those exhaust bolts are prone to snapping. If you want to try and remove them ... having the motor out will make it easier. I would just cut the exhaust manifold off at the connector for removal and replace with some shorty headers on re -installation. Do the rear main seal with the motor out ...... and defintely replace the oil pump ( while it is out) unless it has already been replaced. As stated check compression to ensure she still has plenty more miles left. If you have to pull the heads to get a machine shop to remove the bolts ... It wouldn't be a ton more work to put in a mild cam .. and replace the timing chain.

With some shorty headers and a mild cam she will gain some decent POWER.
Rgwinn, Deano Bronc