Bronco [Disambiguation]

TorgSurv
Feb 22, 2021

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Feb 22, 2021

This post will hopefully help to clarify some terminology related to various Bronco models and generations. Some terms being thrown around on the forums are potentially confusing and inconsistent with their historic use, and I think a little more awareness of the history will help avoid confusion.
  • Gen 1 Bronco (1966-1977), commonly referred to as "Classic Bronco" or "Early Bronco", is classified as a Compact SUV.
    • Gen 1 Broncos came in three configurations: Roadster (U13, no roof or doors), Sports Utility or Pickup (U14, 2 doors with a half-cab and a pickup style bed), and Wagon (U15, 2 doors with a full-length hard top).
    • The "Sport Bronco" was introduced in 1967, available for the Wagon or Pickup, which included, among many other features, a "Sport Bronco" emblem.
      (Note: 1968 Bronco brochure states that there are five models available: "Bronco Wagon, Pickup and Roadster, plus Sport Broncos — Wagon and Pickup".)
  • Gen 2-5 Bronco (1978-1996), commonly referred to as "Full-Size Bronco", is classified as a Full-size SUV.
    • Gen 2 (1978-1979) is also commonly referred to as "Dentside Bronco" or sometimes "Big Bronco".
    • Gen 3 (1980-1986) is also commonly referred to as "Bullnose Bronco".
    • Gen 4 (1987-1991) is also commonly referred to as "Bricknose Bronco".
    • Gen 5 (1992-1996) is also commonly referred to as "Aeronose Bronco".
    • Centurion and Metropolitan (and a few other companies and individuals) converted Full-Size Broncos into custom Four Door Bronco vehicles.
  • Gen 6 Bronco (2021+), commonly referred to as "New Bronco" (is that gonna stick?), is classified as a Mid-size SUV.
    • Gen 6 Bronco is available in both 2 Door and 4 Door configurations (technically 3 Door and 5 Door, because the rear swing-gate into the enclosed cargo area counts as a door).
    • Gen 6 Bronco is available in 7 sub-models (note that Ford documentation usually refers to them as "Models", while most forum users have been referring to them as "Trims"): Base, Big Bend, Black Diamond, Outer Banks, Badlands, Wildtrak, and First Edition.
  • Bronco II (1984-1990) is classified as a Compact SUV.
  • Bronco Sport (2021+), commonly referred to as "Baby Bronco" (I hope that one doesn't stick), is classified as a Subcompact Crossover SUV.
    • Bronco Sport is available in 5 sub-models: Base, Big Bend, Outer Banks, Badlands, and First Edition.
Because of the historic use of these terms, it is therefore confusing (and technically incorrect because of the classifications) to refer to the 2 Door and 4 Door New Bronco as the "Full-Size Bronco" or "Big Bronco". Depending on your audience, clarification might also be needed to distinguish between the new 4 Door Bronco and the older full-size four door Bronco conversions.

Use of the term "New Bronco" generally implies the 2 Door or 4 Door Gen 6 Bronco, but I've seen several instances of confusion and need for clarification between the Gen 6 and the Bronco Sport. When talking about new vehicles, "Bronco" should be taken to imply a mid-size Gen 6 2 Door or 4 Door Bronco. When referring to the subcompact crossover, "Bronco Sport" should be used. When needed for clarification, Ford seems to use "Bronco 2 Door" and "Bronco 4 Door" to distinguish it from the Bronco Sport. When discussing your new Bronco Sport with Gen 1 folks around, care should be taken to avoid confusion with the 1966-1977 Sport Bronco sub-model and/or Sport Package.

Note that there was also a Ranger Package available for the Gen 1 Bronco beginning in 1973 (first referred to as simply "Bronco Ranger" in 1977), not to be confused with the Ranger package available on the F-150 and full-size Bronco, or the later compact Ranger pickup model (which shares a platform with the Bronco II), or the current mid-size Ranger pickup model (which shares a platform with the Gen 6 Bronco).

SAS: In relation to the new Bronco, SAS (or sometimes SASQ or Squatch) is shorthand for the Sasquatch Package. In relation to the '80-'96 full size Bronco, SAS means Solid Axle Swap, a popular modification replacing the front twin i-beam suspension with a solid axle taken from an F-250 or similar donor vehicle.
BaBump, Marmot

Feb 22, 2021

This post will hopefully help to clarify some terminology related to various Bronco models and generations. Some terms being thrown around on the forums are potentially confusing and inconsistent with their historic use, and I think a little more awareness of the history will help avoid confusion.
  • Gen 1 Bronco (1966-1977), commonly referred to as "Classic Bronco" or "Early Bronco", is classified as a Compact SUV.
    • Gen 1 Broncos came in three configurations: Roadster (U13, no roof or doors), Pickup (U14, 2 doors with a half-cab), and Wagon (U15, 3 doors with a full cab).
    • The Sport package was introduced in 1967, and "Bronco Sport" became a freestanding sub-model in 1970.
  • Gen 2-5 Bronco (1978-1996), commonly referred to as "Full-Size Bronco", is classified as a Full-size SUV.
    • Gen 2 (1978-1979) is also commonly referred to as "Dentside Bronco" or sometimes "Big Bronco".
    • Centurion and Metropolitan (and a few other companies and individuals) converted Full-Size Broncos into custom Four Door Bronco vehicles.
  • Gen 6 Bronco (2021+), commonly referred to as "New Bronco" (is that gonna stick?), is classified as a Mid-size SUV.
    • Gen 6 Bronco is available in both 2 Door and 4 Door configurations (technically 3 Door and 5 Door, because the rear swing-gate into the enclosed cargo area counts as a door).
    • Gen 6 Bronco is available in 7 sub-models (note that Ford documentation usually refers to them as "Models", while most forum users have been referring to them as "Trims"): Base, Big Bend, Black Diamond, Outer Banks, Badlands, Wildtrak, and First Edition.
  • Bronco Sport (2021+), commonly referred to as "Baby Bronco" (I hope that one doesn't stick), is classified as a Subcompact Crossover SUV.
    • Bronco Sport is available in 5 sub-models: Base, Big Bend, Outer Banks, Badlands, and First Edition.
Because of the historic use of these terms, it is therefore confusing (and technically incorrect because of the classifications) to refer to the 2 Door and 4 Door New Bronco as the "Full-Size Bronco" or "Big Bronco". Depending on your audience, clarification might also be needed to distinguish between the new 4 Door Bronco and the older full-size four door Bronco conversions.

Use of the term "New Bronco" generally implies the 2 Door or 4 Door Gen 6 Bronco, but I've several instances of confusion and need for clarification between the Gen 6 and the Bronco Sport. When talking about new vehicles, "Bronco" should be taken to imply a mid-size Gen 6 2 Door or 4 Door Bronco. When referring to the subcompact crossover, "Bronco Sport" should be used. When needed for clarification, Ford seems to use "Bronco 2 Door" and "Bronco 4 Door" to distinguish it from the Bronco Sport. When discussing your new Bronco Sport with Gen 1 folks around, care should be taken to avoid confusion with the Sport package available on the Early Broncos or the Gen 1 Bronco Sport sub-model.

Note that there was also a Gen 1 Bronco Ranger, not to be confused with the Ranger package available on the F-150 and full-size Bronco, or the later compact Ranger pickup model (the platform for the Bronco II), or the current mid-size Ranger pickup model (the platform for the Gen 6 Bronco).
Wow, taking in this info is like drinking from a fire hose! lol Good job on the thorough explanation of the Breed!
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Feb 22, 2021

• Gen 1 Broncos came in three configurations: Roadster (U13, no roof or doors), Pickup (U14, 2 doors with a half-cab), and Wagon (U15, 3 doors with a full cab).
    • The Sport package was introduced in 1967, and "Bronco Sport" became a freestanding sub-model in 1970.

Use of the term "New Bronco" generally implies the 2 Door or 4 Door Gen 6 Bronco, but I've several instances of confusion and need for clarification between the Gen 6 and the Bronco Sport. When talking about new vehicles, "Bronco" should be taken to imply a mid-size Gen 6 2 Door or 4 Door Bronco. When referring to the subcompact crossover, "Bronco Sport" should be used. When needed for clarification, Ford seems to use "Bronco 2 Door" and "Bronco 4 Door" to distinguish it from the Bronco Sport. When discussing your new Bronco Sport with Gen 1 folks around, care should be taken to avoid confusion with the Sport package available on the Early Broncos or the Gen 1 Bronco Sport sub-model.

Note that there was also a Gen 1 Bronco Ranger, not to be confused with the Ranger package available on the F-150 and full-size Bronco, or the later compact Ranger pickup model (the platform for the Bronco II), or the current mid-size Ranger pickup model (the platform for the Gen 6 Bronco).
Wow! Thank you!
Now I will hunt for a pic of the Gen 1 Bronco Ranger! Fascinating!
Bronc96, tlowell01

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Feb 22, 2021

So this is a 4 dr Bronco ? I thought they were not supposed to be out until later this year :)

Attachments

2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
Marmot, TK1215

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Feb 22, 2021

So this is a 4 dr Bronco ? I thought they were not supposed to be out until later this year :)
Haha, yeah, there's some confusion there too. My father in law, who still drives truck at 81 :eek: knows that I have a new Bronco reserved. The other day he saw a new Bronco Sport on the freeway for the first time, and he called to tell me to keep my money! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I don't mean to disrespect the Bronco Sport, they really are exceptionally capable and impressive vehicles (for a crossover). We may end up buying one of them for a family vehicle some day.
BroncoFred, TK1215

Rank VI

Feb 22, 2021

Great information and historical context!
‘22, 4 door Badlands, 2.3l, MT, MIC top, lux, Sasquatch, tow. Velocity Blue.
Build Complete --> 5/5/2022. Delivered 5/25/2022.
Bronco Nation #1115
NVSUR, TorgSurv

Rank VI

Feb 22, 2021

As I was searching the web for Gen1 Bronco Ranger info, I found this article.

Oops article found to be inaccurate and removed!
NVSUR, Bronc96

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Feb 22, 2021

As I was searching the web for Gen1 Bronco Ranger info, I found this article.
Good stuff! Thanks!
BuzzyBud

Rank V

Feb 22, 2021

"and "Bronco Sport" became a freestanding sub-model in 1970."

That's not accurate info, I'm not sure where CJ Pony got that info, I believe that's where it originated. Sport was just a appearance package just like the Explorer, Explorer Sport, Ranger, and Special Decor. There was nothing physically different about the truck. There were u14 sports too from 67'-72'.

More accurate early bronco package info here. https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86338&highlight=trim+packages
2D BL, Sas, 2.7l, High, Silver 10:22pm 7/13/20 Res, 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/28 3/7 build dates
built 3/11/22, delivered 4/16/22
NVSUR, TorgSurv

No Ragerts

Feb 22, 2021

Thank you & Please go update Wikipedia with this important information!
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
NVSUR, TorgSurv

Rank VI

Feb 22, 2021

Excellent write up and idea @TorgSurv! Especially with all of our members that might be new to Bronco and wanting to learn more. Thanks for sharing! (y)
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
TK1215, NVSUR

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Feb 22, 2021

"and "Bronco Sport" became a freestanding sub-model in 1970."

That's not accurate info, I'm not sure where CJ Pony got that info, I believe that's where it originated. Sport was just a appearance package just like the Explorer, Explorer Sport, Ranger, and Special Decor. There was nothing physically different about the truck. There were u14 sports too from 67'-72'.

More accurate early bronco package info here. https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86338&highlight=trim+packages
Thanks for the link, I'll do a little more research and verification then update the first post accordingly.
NVSUR, okie4570

Rank V

Feb 22, 2021

Thanks for the link, I'll do a little more research and verification then update the first post accordingly.
CJ Pony's years for Explorer, Ranger and Special decor aren't accurate either after looking closer at their info. Check out Todd Zuercher's Bronco book as well when you get the chance.
2D BL, Sas, 2.7l, High, Silver 10:22pm 7/13/20 Res, 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/28 3/7 build dates

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Feb 23, 2021

CJ Pony's years for Explorer, Ranger and Special decor aren't accurate either after looking closer at their info. Check out Todd Zuercher's Bronco book as well when you get the chance.
Yeah, most of what I posted above came from what I remembered from Todd's book off the top of my head, supplemented with info I found on wikipedia. I didn't consult CJ Pony for this, but their info might have been a source for wikipedia. I'll refer to the book for verification later today.
SlashRacer

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Feb 23, 2021

After further review of @tzuercher 's book and the brochures available for download on the Ford website, I have updated the first post in this thread to more accurately reflect the published information.

It's interesting to note that the 1968 brochure refers to the "Sport Bronco" as a model, not a package, while the other brochures from 1967 to 1976 simply refer to it as Sport Bronco, with no mention of model or package that I could see (except as an asterisk comment noting that certain features from the "Convenience Group" are "Standard on Sport models"). The "Ranger Package" was specifically called a package in the brochures from 1973 to 1976. The 1977 brochure was the first instance I could find of the words "Sport Package", but it also says "Sport Bronco" throughout. The 1977 is the first use I found of "Bronco Ranger" implying that it may be considered a model (or sub-model) instead of a package as it was referred to previously. Special Decor is not a package or model, but is listed in the 1977 brochure as "Special Decor Group for Bronco and Sport Bronco".

Based on all this, it appears that we have several terms which in some instances may have been used interchangeably, but at other times appear to have a material distinction. Maybe we can come to a consensus on retroactively re-assigning some of them based on current understandings. I believe we have, in hierarchical order:
  • Model (some of which I would refer to as sub-model)
  • Sub-model (doesn't appear to be distinguished from model and/or package in the early Bronco literature)
  • Trim (sometimes used interchangeably for package and/or group when discussing the early Bronco, and for the sub-models when discussing the Gen 6 Bronco and new Bronco Sport)
  • Package
  • Group
  • Option (usually factory installed)
  • Accessory (usually dealer installed)
I'm not totally clear yet on how Package is distinguished from Group. Maybe after more discussion of these concepts, I'll add some of it to the top post.

If anyone has recommendations for further edits or other ideas for expansion, please let me know.
NVSUR, Deano Bronc

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Feb 23, 2021

I didn't see "Explorer" in the brochures, but Todd's book says that in 1972 Ford introduced "a new trim package called the Explorer. Although it was offered for several years, 1972 was the only year that it was offered as an add-on to the Sport package."

In other places he seems to use model, trim, trim level, and package almost interchangeably, sometimes combining them (e.g. "trim package"). Maybe it's a distinction without a difference, but I'm just trying to get clarity on the appropriate terms to use.
Bronc96, okie4570

Rank V

Feb 23, 2021

I didn't see "Explorer" in the brochures, but Todd's book says that in 1972 Ford introduced "a new trim package called the Explorer. Although it was offered for several years, 1972 was the only year that it was offered as an add-on to the Sport package."

In other places he seems to use model, trim, trim level, and package almost interchangeably, sometimes combining them (e.g. "trim package"). Maybe it's a distinction without a difference, but I'm just trying to get clarity on the appropriate terms to use.

Trim/Body codes are interchangeable on the warranty plates on the glove box doors 68-77 and on the driver kick panel on the 66 and 67. That trim/body code was the easiest way to confirm weather a bronco was an explorer or ranger if the bronco was in bad shape or missing parts.

Here's the production numbers for each model by year and trim. Lot's of us contributed to gathering this info that Jack started years ago. The 76' Special Decor was never listed on a Marti for some reason.

1967 Sport Bronco - 1,378
1967 Sport Half Cab- 86

1968 Sport Bronco - 2,617
1968 Sport Half Cab- 67

1969 Sport Bronco - 4,449
1969 Sport Half Cab- 73

1970 Sport Bronco - 4,287
1970 Sport Half Cab- 69

1971 Sport Bronco - 4,739
1971 Sport Half Cab- 74

1972 Sport Bronco - 7,732
1972 Sport Half Cab- 75
1972 Explorer Bronco- 3,006

1973 Sport Bronco - 3,407
1973 Ranger Bronco- 5,666
1973 Explorer Bronco- 2,949

1974 Sport Bronco - 3,755
1974 Ranger Bronco - 5,940
1974 Explorer Bronco - 3,163

1975 Sport Bronco - 1,972
1975 Explorer Bronco- Does not exist
1975 Ranger Bronco - 3,964

1976 Sport Bronco - 2,408
1976 Explorer Bronco- 1,610
1976 Ranger Bronco - 2,971
1976 Special Decor - ?

1977 Sport Bronco - 3,243
1977 Ranger Bronco - 3,199
1977 Special Decor - 2,975

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185931
ResidualGenius, Deano Bronc

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Apr 23, 2021

SAS definitions added to the top post.
TK1215, gibsBRonCO

Rank VI

Apr 23, 2021

. . .

SAS: In relation to the new Bronco, SAS (or sometimes SASQ or Squatch) is shorthand for the Sasquatch Package. In relation to the '80-'96 full size Bronco, SAS means Solid Axle Swap, a popular modification replacing the front twin i-beam suspension with a solid axle taken from an F-250 or similar donor vehicle.

Good clarification and good example of the New Bronco folks developing their own lingo. Let me add that the term Solid Axle Swap will apply to the new Bronco as well as enthusiasts and the aftermarket begin to modify them with solid axles. Will a new acronym be developed for SAS on a new Bronco? Maybe SAX? We'll have to wait and see what term will catch on.

Also the D44 from a 78-79 Bronco or 73-79 F150 is often used for an SAS for the 80-96 Bronco. If D60's are used It becomes a "Bronco on tons". Using both front and rear axles from a 73-79 F150 or Bronco (or using D60's) on an Early Bronco is known a s "Full Width Conversion".
2022 Bronco BadSquatch, 1974 Bronco Ranger, 1976 Bronco Crawler, 1978 Bronco Custom
TK1215, Deano Bronc

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Apr 23, 2021

Excellent additions and clarifications @gibsBRonCO !

Do you know what axle people are looking at to swap in on the new Bronco? I haven't heard any specifics yet, maybe it's too soon for people to know what will fit. Maybe some will also do the front and rear full width conversion?
TK1215, gibsBRonCO