Promoter II

Mar 19, 2020
Southgate, MI, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Liebmann
Member #

I, like many of you, have been a little confused regarding the bumpers on Bronco. We've done some digging and this is what we've found.

We currently see three options scattered across build and price. In the Bronco Build and Price tool there are three bumpers: the standard bumper, the Heavy Duty Modular Bumper, and the Capable Bumper.
  • The standard bumper is plastic and is the default bumper for Base, Big Bend, Outer Banks, and Wild Track. It includes tow hooks that can be used for flat towing and can have fog lights installed as part of the Big Bend equipment group so you'd also see those on the Outer Banks and Wildtrack.
  • The Heavy Duty Modular Bumper is standard on Black Diamond, Badlands, and First Edition. It has a slew of features and is a required add for the brush guard and front steel bash plate options. Also, if you plan to order a winch from the factory, you'll be getting this bumper added to your order. If you're ordering a Big Bend, Outer Banks, or Wildtrack and want to bring your own foglamps since it will not include the foglamps that come with those trims, this the option to get.
  • We've confirmed with Ford that the Capable Front Bumper that you see in the Base, Big Bend, Outer Banks, and Wildtrack accessory options in the Bronco Build and Price tool has been listed in error and is not available as a 2021MY option.

Jakob1972

Rank VI

Champion I

Aug 17, 2020
Guadalupe River State Park TX, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jakob
Member #

Thanks for posting this. Even though the capable bumper is not available this year. What is the difference between that and the modular bumper. Is it less heavy duty than the modular?

Reactions: nic

guzie

Rank V

Champion I

Jul 25, 2020
Grand Rapids mi
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Guzniczak
Member #

I, like many of you, have been a little confused regarding the bumpers on Bronco. We've done some digging and this is what we've found.

We currently see three options scattered across build and price. In the Bronco Build and Price tool there are three bumpers: the standard bumper, the Heavy Duty Modular Bumper, and the Capable Bumper.
  • The standard bumper is plastic and is the default bumper for Base, Big Bend, Outer Banks, and Wild Track. It includes tow hooks that can be used for flat towing and can have fog lights installed as part of the Big Bend equipment group so you'd also see those on the Outer Banks and Wildtrack.
  • The Heavy Duty Modular Bumper is standard on Black Diamond, Badlands, and First Edition. It has a slew of features and is a required add for the brush guard and front steel bash plate options. Also, if you plan to order a winch from the factory, you'll be getting this bumper added to your order. If you're ordering a Big Bend, Outer Banks, or Wildtrack and want to bring your own foglamps since it will not include the foglamps that come with those trims, this the option to get.
  • We've confirmed with Ford that the Capable Front Bumper that you see in the Base, Big Bend, Outer Banks, and Wildtrack accessory options in the Bronco Build and Price tool has been listed in error and is not available as a 2021MY option.
Well that is crappy. I was wanting the capable one.

David

Rank VI
Staff member
Super Moderator

Promoter II

Mar 19, 2020
Southgate, MI, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Liebmann
Member #

What is the difference between that and the modular bumper. Is it less heavy duty than the modular?
We don't have any confirmed information on that. Looking at them both, it seems that the Capable Bumper has different tow hooks and can be fitted with foglamps.

vintage

Rank IV

Supporter III

Jun 9, 2020
NC
First Name
David
Last Name
Lanzi
Ah I get it. If I want a better, more "capable" bumper, then get a 2022. Don't buy a 2021 with an "incapable" bumper. Does the 2022 bumper actually allow for a license plate bracket? lol

Thanks for always finding answers for us. I certainly appreciate it.
I'm going with the Heavy-Duty Modular bumper. I figure if I'm going to spend around the same money, I'd rather have a Heavy-Duty than just a capable.

Vigor

Rank V

Promoter III

Dec 31, 2020
Philadelphia, PA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Farrar
Member #

Thanks for getting us these answers! A little irked that there is yet another b&p error thats been... hanging out for 3 months unfixed but... going to have my morning tea and keep it moving

Last edited:

JRHopp

Rank II

Advocate III

Oct 7, 2020
Peoria, IL, USA
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Hopping

Can you clarify re: foglamps? Is this something the dealership can install in the HDM bumper? I had planned on going with the Capable Front Bumper. I want the option of adding a Hitch aftermarket (about 1/2 the price), but would also like to have foglamps.

TorgSurv

Rank VI

Champion II

Jul 13, 2020
Moab, Ut
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Torgersen
Member #

Can you clarify re: foglamps? Is this something the dealership can install in the HDM bumper? I had planned on going with the Capable Front Bumper. I want the option of adding a Hitch aftermarket (about 1/2 the price), but would also like to have foglamps.
Heavy-Duty Modular front bumper deletes the fog lights. You could get the cowl mounted pod lights instead, or maybe an aftermarket option that will bolt onto the HDM bumper.

TorgSurv

Rank VI

Champion II

Jul 13, 2020
Moab, Ut
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Torgersen
Member #

I have found them to helpful in two instances:
1- In extremely heavy fog, rain, or snow, the foglamps don't reflect as much light directly back into the eyes since they're lower down, increasing the ability to see the road striping (have to turn headlights off to get the benefit).
2- They offer a little extra trail lighting when off-roading (but rock lights, pod lights, or a light bar would be much more effective).

Bronc96

Rank VI

Champion I

Jul 11, 2020
Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Henderson
Member #

Did we figured out if the rear bumper we have been seeing on the BL and BD is the production steel bumper? If so, I assume just has a plastic cap on it? I am curious because looks similar to the bumpers for the other trims.

Reactions: srick76

srick76

Rank V

Supporter III

Jun 11, 2020
Butler, NJ, USA
Member #

If I'm being totally honest...I've always loved the LOOK of fog lamps, but only rarely find them to be a necessary feature.
yea for sure. I love the look but barely notice a difference. I'll be looking for an after market or a Ford accessory after the fact to put into the HDMB. Like the Raptor, there are a couple after market lighting options to fill that open gap in the from bumper on Gen I Raptors from fog lights to LED accent lights.