Bronco Bumpers Explained

David
Jan 09, 2021

Rank VI

Jan 09, 2021

I, like many of you, have been a little confused regarding the bumpers on Bronco. We've done some digging and this is what we've found.

We currently see three options scattered across build and price. In the Bronco Build and Price tool there are three bumpers: the standard bumper, the Heavy Duty Modular Bumper, and the Capable Bumper.
  • The standard bumper is plastic and is the default bumper for Base, Big Bend, Outer Banks, and Wild Track. It includes tow hooks that can be used for flat towing and can have fog lights installed as part of the Big Bend equipment group so you'd also see those on the Outer Banks and Wildtrack.
  • The Heavy Duty Modular Bumper is standard on Black Diamond, Badlands, and First Edition. It has a slew of features and is a required add for the brush guard and front steel bash plate options. Also, if you plan to order a winch from the factory, you'll be getting this bumper added to your order. If you're ordering a Big Bend, Outer Banks, or Wildtrack and want to bring your own foglamps since it will not include the foglamps that come with those trims, this the option to get.
  • We've confirmed with Ford that the Capable Front Bumper that you see in the Base, Big Bend, Outer Banks, and Wildtrack accessory options in the Bronco Build and Price tool has been listed in error and is not available as a 2021MY option.
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
TitsLaRue, Duffman303
Last edited by a moderator: Jan 09, 2021

Gladesmen

Jan 09, 2021

Thanks for posting this. Even though the capable bumper is not available this year. What is the difference between that and the modular bumper. Is it less heavy duty than the modular?
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
nic

Rank VI

Jan 09, 2021

I, like many of you, have been a little confused regarding the bumpers on Bronco. We've done some digging and this is what we've found.

We currently see three options scattered across build and price. In the Bronco Build and Price tool there are three bumpers: the standard bumper, the Heavy Duty Modular Bumper, and the Capable Bumper.
  • The standard bumper is plastic and is the default bumper for Base, Big Bend, Outer Banks, and Wild Track. It includes tow hooks that can be used for flat towing and can have fog lights installed as part of the Big Bend equipment group so you'd also see those on the Outer Banks and Wildtrack.
  • The Heavy Duty Modular Bumper is standard on Black Diamond, Badlands, and First Edition. It has a slew of features and is a required add for the brush guard and front steel bash plate options. Also, if you plan to order a winch from the factory, you'll be getting this bumper added to your order. If you're ordering a Big Bend, Outer Banks, or Wildtrack and want to bring your own foglamps since it will not include the foglamps that come with those trims, this the option to get.
  • We've confirmed with Ford that the Capable Front Bumper that you see in the Base, Big Bend, Outer Banks, and Wildtrack accessory options in the Bronco Build and Price tool has been listed in error and is not available as a 2021MY option.
Well that is crappy. I was wanting the capable one.
sterusmall, Rusty Shackleford

Wank ER

Jan 09, 2021

So the capable bumper is incapable?
2021 FE Cactus Grey
TigerRN, Black&Blue

Rank VI

Jan 09, 2021

What is the difference between that and the modular bumper. Is it less heavy duty than the modular?
We don't have any confirmed information on that. Looking at them both, it seems that the Capable Bumper has different tow hooks and can be fitted with foglamps.
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
BroncoMax, Slownstddy

Rank IV

Jan 09, 2021

Brief description from Ford site.

Screenshot_20210109-015845_Chrome.jpg
BroncoMax

Rank V

Jan 09, 2021

Ah I get it. If I want a better, more "capable" bumper, then get a 2022. Don't buy a 2021 with an "incapable" bumper. Does the 2022 bumper actually allow for a license plate bracket? lol

Thanks for always finding answers for us. I certainly appreciate it.
Big Papa, tracythemighty

Rank IV

Jan 09, 2021

Ah I get it. If I want a better, more "capable" bumper, then get a 2022. Don't buy a 2021 with an "incapable" bumper. Does the 2022 bumper actually allow for a license plate bracket? lol

Thanks for always finding answers for us. I certainly appreciate it.
I'm going with the Heavy-Duty Modular bumper. I figure if I'm going to spend around the same money, I'd rather have a Heavy-Duty than just a capable.
RedCo, Jakob1972

Rank V

Jan 09, 2021

Thanks for getting us these answers! A little irked that there is yet another b&p error thats been... hanging out for 3 months unfixed but... going to have my morning tea and keep it moving
BroncoMax, JRHopp

Rank V

Jan 10, 2021

Bummer about the capable bumper. They've shown it off quite a bit.

Rank IV

Jan 14, 2021

Can you clarify re: foglamps? Is this something the dealership can install in the HDM bumper? I had planned on going with the Capable Front Bumper. I want the option of adding a Hitch aftermarket (about 1/2 the price), but would also like to have foglamps.

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jan 14, 2021

Can you clarify re: foglamps? Is this something the dealership can install in the HDM bumper? I had planned on going with the Capable Front Bumper. I want the option of adding a Hitch aftermarket (about 1/2 the price), but would also like to have foglamps.
Heavy-Duty Modular front bumper deletes the fog lights. You could get the cowl mounted pod lights instead, or maybe an aftermarket option that will bolt onto the HDM bumper.
Jakob1972, Bronc96

Rank IV

Jan 14, 2021

If I'm being totally honest...I've always loved the LOOK of fog lamps, but only rarely find them to be a necessary feature.
TigerRN, Pazzo

Moab or bust!!!

Jan 14, 2021

If I'm being totally honest...I've always loved the LOOK of fog lamps, but only rarely find them to be a necessary feature.
Right there with you. I've just never found that they really help although maybe its because factory fog lights are more show than go.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
Pazzo, Jakob1972

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jan 14, 2021

I have found them to helpful in two instances:
1- In extremely heavy fog, rain, or snow, the foglamps don't reflect as much light directly back into the eyes since they're lower down, increasing the ability to see the road striping (have to turn headlights off to get the benefit).
2- They offer a little extra trail lighting when off-roading (but rock lights, pod lights, or a light bar would be much more effective).
Big Papa, BroncoMax

Rank VI

Jan 14, 2021

Did we figured out if the rear bumper we have been seeing on the BL and BD is the production steel bumper? If so, I assume just has a plastic cap on it? I am curious because looks similar to the bumpers for the other trims.
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
srick76

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Jan 14, 2021

I think so. If that's it, I'm disappointed. I was hoping it would look more like the modular front bumer.
GToddC5, Bronc96

Rank VI

Jan 14, 2021

yea for sure. I love the look but barely notice a difference. I'll be looking for an after market or a Ford accessory after the fact to put into the HDMB. Like the Raptor, there are a couple after market lighting options to fill that open gap in the from bumper on Gen I Raptors from fog lights to LED accent lights.
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Rank IV

Jan 14, 2021

1610649276235.png I'll be looking to add grill lights and a tail light break light

1610649326385.png
Commodore, GToddC5

Rank VI

Jan 14, 2021

View attachment 7608 I'll be looking to add grill lights and a tail light break light

View attachment 7609
nice! I'm liking the grill light idea!
Commodore, Jakob1972