Bronco Brakes Failed: Known Issue?

Oly
Dec 12, 2021

Rank IV

Dec 12, 2021

So I almost died driving my 4 door Outer Banks on the freeway the other day. My wife and I were driving out to Hilton Head for a 10k. Everything was great until…Some jerk swerved in front of me to avoid being behind a semi truck chugging uphill.

This is where I almost died…
When I went to hit the brakes the pedal was impossible to press, the Bronco’s dashboard lit up saying something like brake error: check brake system. I luckily was able to slow down by using the manual shift selector on the side of the gear shift and basically standing on the brake pedal and immediately pulled over. I got out and checked the brakes after turning the car off and on. The brake pedal was now able to depress, but the brakes were super spongey. I drove to the closest Ford dealership and had them check it out. The tech came back after a few min and said it was a known issue with the Brake Vacuum and it has to come from Michigan.

This just happened so I’m getting more info as they can’t order the part until tomorrow, but I’ll update as I have more info.

I know 1st gen products have issues but this one is a really big problem. Good thing I wasn’t on the trail next to a cliff otherwise I wouldn’t be here.

Driving 70 mph on the freeway and you go to hit the brakes and there are none… scared the crap out of me. Driving a rental and now I have PTSD every time I brake.

Anyone else heard of this for the 4doors? I know the sport had a brake recall, but not 100% sure this is the same issue?
Babytruck, AD BRONCO
Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2021

Rank VI

Dec 12, 2021

Happy your ok and no one got hurt. Thanks for letting us know. Please keep us updated.
AD BRONCO, Big Papa

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Dec 12, 2021

Now I just need to see a man eat his own head and I’ll of seen everything

glad you’re ok Oly, just holy shit. Think I saw somewhere you can use pads and rotors for the Ranger for our beasts; if so, time to Upgrayedd.

also, Broncos seem to attract assholes who want to sue us with their shitty driving and guy in the rears at fault shit
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
AD BRONCO, LR48

Rank V

Dec 12, 2021

2.7 gets electronic power brakes. The 2.3 has a vacuum booster. A hard pedal indicates a loss of power assist. If you press really hard, you will get brakes. Ford has been using electric motors to provide brake assist since the late '80s in the early ABS systems. The bronco Sport uses a system similar to the 2.7 motors.
2D Base Mansquatch: Ord 11-24-2021; VIN 3-16-2022; Schd 5/9/22; Sticker 5/4/22; Modules 5/10/22;Built 5/11/22;Shipt 5/12/22;Delv 5/24/22
Babytruck, RedThor

Bill - Enjoy The Journey

Dec 12, 2021

Glad you and yours are okay. Watching for any update.
‘22 Cactus Gray / Badlands / Sasquatch / LUX / Leather / MIC
AD BRONCO

Home, home on the range

Dec 13, 2021

Glad you are all ok! Very smart thiking on your part to use the manual shift. I hope this will not change your feelings for your Bronco. My dad always put us right back on the horse if we fell off. Hope you're able to do the same.
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
AD BRONCO, LR48

Rank VI

Apr 21, 2022

Just happened to me. On my way to Moab, stuck waiting on dealers, tow companies…

does seem like loss of vacuum, scary firm pedal until you stand on it!

@Oly what was the cause and solution for you?

@Ford Motor Company help plz!
2021 badlands, 2.3, MT, rapid red, soft top
Bronco 202?, Jboohound

Rank V

Apr 21, 2022

Just happened to me. On my way to Moab, stuck waiting on dealers, tow companies…

does seem like loss of vacuum, scary firm pedal until you stand on it!

@Oly what was the cause and solution for you?

@Ford Motor Company help plz!
Sorry to hear this and glad all are ok.

What were you doing when it happened?

My wife use to be a Ford service advisor. She said the vac assist brakes on the 2.3 have had issues for a while. At least 10 years on many Ford models. Not just bronco. Example, the brake booster can fail if you hit the brakes really hard especially at highway speeds. This only apply to the 2.3 brakes. We both have a 2.3 MT BL 4 Door. Thankfully you can slow down easier with a MT but still no fun.

I had a similar experience as OP on the highway back in February '22 where a semi truck came way over in my lane without warning on I-40 cruising around 80mph. I had to hit the brakes hard and fast. Whole family in bronco and we were fully loaded with gear. Thankfully no issues with our brakes failing despite the sudden heavy pedal press. But I always keep this possibility in the back of my mind with vac brakes on a heavy vehicle and sometimes wonder how much faster/harder I would have had to press my brake pedal back in Feb to blow out my brake booster.

Keep us posted.
2021Bronco☆2.3☆BL☆7MT☆4D☆A51☆SoftT☆ARRIVED 9/9/21☆SOLD 1/21/23☆NT Supports▪Consults▪Supply's Car Dealers, Vehicle Distributors, and Retail Customers Since 1992
AD BRONCO, LR48

Slickrock withdraws

Apr 21, 2022

My BL flashed the check brakes at me last weekend on the Interstate but never had a hard pedal or brake issues. Brakes felt and stopped me as usual. Checked things out and found nothing. No dealers available on Sunday. Drove home another 200 miles trouble free but a tad cautious.
2 Dr BL MGV High 2.3 Auto SAS MIC Tow....
7/13/20 res 1/21/21 order
Got my VIN 9/30.....Build week 11/15 Delivered 1/14/22

Rank VI

Apr 21, 2022

Accelerating to highway speed, put cruise control on. bam. Check brake warning comes up.

pulled over and checked under hood and car, fluid levels fine and no leaks. Brakes worked fine too.

hells revenge and finsnthings didn’t sound like fun with sketchy brakes, so here I sit… ironically…. Waiting for my bronco…
Deano Bronc, Cornwelltoolman

Rank XXXXXXVVVVVIIII

Apr 21, 2022

Accelerating to highway speed, put cruise control on. bam. Check brake warning comes up.

pulled over and checked under hood and car, fluid levels fine and no leaks. Brakes worked fine too.

hells revenge and finsnthings didn’t sound like fun with sketchy brakes, so here I sit… ironically…. Waiting for my bronco…
sorry to hear that hopefully the can get you up and running quick

Rank V

Apr 26, 2022

Any updates ?

Rank VI

Apr 26, 2022

My BL flashed the check brakes at me last weekend on the Interstate but never had a hard pedal or brake issues. Brakes felt and stopped me as usual. Checked things out and found nothing. No dealers available on Sunday. Drove home another 200 miles trouble free but a tad cautious.
Was it with cruise control on? I’d call your dealer and ask them to check OASIS for a brake system issue, just to be safe.
Sven

Rank 0

Apr 27, 2022

I dealt with this issue today driving across interstate in the midwest. With cruise turned on, my brake light came on. I tapped the brake, and pedal did not move at all. Pushing harder it released, chattered, then operated normally. Being in a remote area, no dealers were available, but I stopped and checked fluid levels - all good. I continued driving, and the light came back on - same sensation after several minutes with cruise on. Mileage dropped off over the next hundred or so miles - seems the brakes may have been dragging some when this happened. I then filled the tank and drove without cruise control - issue went away and mileage climbed back up to normal.
Babytruck, AD BRONCO

Rank V

Apr 27, 2022

I dealt with this issue today driving across interstate in the midwest. With cruise turned on, my brake light came on. I tapped the brake, and pedal did not move at all. Pushing harder it released, chattered, then operated normally. Being in a remote area, no dealers were available, but I stopped and checked fluid levels - all good. I continued driving, and the light came back on - same sensation after several minutes with cruise on. Mileage dropped off over the next hundred or so miles - seems the brakes may have been dragging some when this happened. I then filled the tank and drove without cruise control - issue went away and mileage climbed back up to normal.
Do you have ACC?

What engine, trans, bronco trim do you have?
2021Bronco☆2.3☆BL☆7MT☆4D☆A51☆SoftT☆ARRIVED 9/9/21☆SOLD 1/21/23☆NT Supports▪Consults▪Supply's Car Dealers, Vehicle Distributors, and Retail Customers Since 1992

Gladesmen

Apr 27, 2022

Is there a hydro boost conversion for the 2.3L
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery

Rank VI

Apr 27, 2022

Yeah. Don’t totally understand the cruise control link, but seems to be a common trigger!

Stay safe out there!
AD BRONCO, Sven

Rank III

Apr 27, 2022

It's 2022 and we're having issues with brakes, transmissions, faulty tops, electronics, et al... sexy ride and all but is the Bronco ready for prime time?
AD BRONCO

Rank V

Apr 27, 2022

So the problem comes out only when you activate cruise control? I hardly ever use CC, and so far no problem on mine.
Jakob1972

Rank 0

Apr 27, 2022

Do you have ACC?

What engine, trans, bronco trim do you have?
Black diamond. Sasquach pkg. 2.7 engine. Automatic transmission.
Also first time driving at higher elevation - no idea if relevant but it is a change....