Bronco 2.7L EcoBoost Engine Failures EXLAINED

Bschurr
Jun 08, 2022

No Ragerts

Jun 08, 2022

https://fordauthority.com/2022/06/ford-bronco-2-7l-v6-ecoboost-engine-failures-explained-exclusive/
As Ford Authority reported back in January, a number of Ford Bronco owners have had major issues with their twin-turbocharged 2.7L V6 EcoBoost powerplants, to the point where three owners recently filed petitions seeking an investigation from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) into these problems, while 12 others have filed complaints related to that matter as well. Now, sources familiar with the matter have explained to Ford Authority that there are two main sources for these issues, which have led to total engine failure in certain cases.

As some are already aware, part of the problem with these 2.7L powerplants is that they utilize cheaper, sub-optimal valves that were acquired from a new supplier that apparently didn’t properly validate those particular components. But in addition to the faulty valves, the Bronco’s version of the 2.7L V6 EcoBoost also utilizes a less than optimal oil pan design as well, which allows the oil pickup tube to become uncovered and suck in air, which in turn can destroy not only valves, but bearings as well, particularly during spirited or erratic driving when oil is sloshing around inside the powerplant.

These issues aren’t exactly new to The Blue Oval, which experienced similar problems with the twin-turbo Ford 3.0L V6 EcoBoost engine used in the Ford Explorer ST, which is essentially a bored and stroked version of the 2.7. Now, those problems are once again surfacing in certain examples of the sixth-generation Bronco, too.

With a grand total of 32 Bronco owners filing complaints related to engine failure thus far, Ford noted in its NHTSA filing that 25,538 SUVs could ultimately be affected by this issue. So far, affected customers claim that their vehicles experienced a loss of power while driving at highway speeds, after which the Broncos would not restart due to catastrophic engine failure.
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Speed Devil, CarolinaCactusGreyBabe

Rank V

Jun 08, 2022

It didn't mention anything about the wrong dipstick...:cautious:
Big Bend 2-Door Carbonized Grey 2.7, Auto, MIC Res 7/18/2020, Order 1/19/2021, order 10/28/2021, Sticker 2/18/22. Product 2/21/22, Ship 3/4/22. Rec 3/23/22. Tires: 285/70R17/17x8.5 Black Rhino Abrams.
Speed Devil, Bronco Hueso

Rank VI

Jun 08, 2022

Should not have deviated from the MZR Duratec Ecoboost design / specs.
Member # 5650 / 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Bronco Hueso, Big Papa

Burrito Connoisseur

Jun 08, 2022

The issue regarding the valve is more or less what I expected. We know all of the auto manufacturers were scrambling to fix their supply chains so it was only a matter of time before they encountered a new supplier that didn’t have their act together.

The oil pan is surprising though. Having looked at it myself, it seems a lot more well thought-out compared to the F-150 variant. And I had assumed a fair amount of design work went into it to support the higher pitch/roll angles an off-roading vehicle would go though. Interesting in learning more about it, hopefully more info gets released as the investigation continues.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
Deano Bronc, SlashRacer

No Ragerts

Jun 08, 2022

Agreed @RagnarKon - the oil starvation issue is new news to me as well. Perhaps the next version will have a dry sump setup (LOL)
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Deano Bronc, SlashRacer

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Jun 08, 2022

Finally some news that makes me happier about not getting my July 2020 Bronco yet , LOL
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
Rhiostatic, Bronco Hueso

Rank VI

Jun 08, 2022

I’ve had multiple vehicles with the 2.7 Ecoboost since 2016. We’ve had zero engine problems and no warranty repairs of any kind on them. We currently have two 2.7 Ecoboosts in our driveway. My 2019 F150 Super Crew 4X4 and my wife’s 2020 Edge ST.
Bronco Hueso, Rydfree

Rank VI

Jun 08, 2022

Here's a PDF of the article if you can't click on the link

Attachments

Libations MOD

Jun 08, 2022

I’ve had multiple vehicles with the 2.7 Ecoboost since 2016. We’ve had zero engine problems and no warranty repairs of any kind on them. We currently have two 2.7 Ecoboosts in our driveway. My 2019 F150 Super Crew 4X4 and my wife’s 2020 Edge ST.
different valves on those
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
Bronco Hueso, Bschurr

Rank VI

Jun 08, 2022

Ford's spin is that it's covid caused supply chain issues. Although as RagnorKon points out, the redesign oil pan is concerning if it's the cause of oil starvation. Your Edge ST came with a 2.7? I thought the biggest engine they came with, was the 2.3

Rank V

Jun 08, 2022

The issue regarding the valve is more or less what I expected. We know all of the auto manufacturers were scrambling to fix their supply chains so it was only a matter of time before they encountered a new supplier that didn’t have their act together.

The oil pan is surprising though. Having looked at it myself, it seems a lot more well thought-out compared to the F-150 variant. And I had assumed a fair amount of design work went into it to support the higher pitch/roll angles an off-roading vehicle would go though. Interesting in learning more about it, hopefully more info gets released as the investigation continues.
I agree with you. We've seen engine failures for a lifetime. I remember when the aluminum block first came out - what a disaster that was. But the oil pan design and subsequent failure really surprised me. This was an education point discussed at the Bronco Off-Roadeo that was to help the engine not fail at the steep angles for off roading. Glad they figured that out. And I would love to read what the fix is.
Bronco Nation Member #4410
22my | Outer Banks | Carb Grey | 2.7L V6 | MIC | LUX | Tow
shawn6107, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Jun 08, 2022

Reason 1,000,000,001 that I'm still ok to be sitting in the waiting camp.
WildTrak | MIC | Velocity Blue | HOSS 3.0 | Lux | 4Dr | HD Mod
5.13.022, 10.9.022, 3.9.022, Built: 9.29.2022, SHIPPED: 11.26.2022, Arrived: 12.16.2022
Rhiostatic, Rydfree

Rank VI

Jun 08, 2022

Huge thread about this on 6G. Currently 50 Broncos failures just in that thread.
Raptor w/ lux package, orange belts. Code Orange.
BN #306

Rank IV

Jun 08, 2022

If the oil pan allows the pickup to pull air, the crankshaft bearings will be destroyed long before the valves are affected.
Deano Bronc, Bschurr

Rank VI

Jun 08, 2022

different valves on those

Same 2.7 in the Bronco as the F150. People are claiming they used a different supplier for valves on the 2.7’s that failed but they would be the same specs. That’s a quality control issue.

The 2.7 in the Edge ST is slightly different. It produces 10 more HP, but it’s fundamentally the same engine.

My point is the 2.7 has proven to be a reliable engine over the past several years. This is a fluke and no call for concern.
Deano Bronc, Bschurr

Rank VI

Jun 08, 2022

https://fordauthority.com/2022/06/ford-bronco-2-7l-v6-ecoboost-engine-failures-explained-exclusive/
As Ford Authority reported back in January, a number of Ford Bronco owners have had major issues with their twin-turbocharged 2.7L V6 EcoBoost powerplants, to the point where three owners recently filed petitions seeking an investigation from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) into these problems, while 12 others have filed complaints related to that matter as well. Now, sources familiar with the matter have explained to Ford Authority that there are two main sources for these issues, which have led to total engine failure in certain cases.

As some are already aware, part of the problem with these 2.7L powerplants is that they utilize cheaper, sub-optimal valves that were acquired from a new supplier that apparently didn’t properly validate those particular components. But in addition to the faulty valves, the Bronco’s version of the 2.7L V6 EcoBoost also utilizes a less than optimal oil pan design as well, which allows the oil pickup tube to become uncovered and suck in air, which in turn can destroy not only valves, but bearings as well, particularly during spirited or erratic driving when oil is sloshing around inside the powerplant.

These issues aren’t exactly new to The Blue Oval, which experienced similar problems with the twin-turbo Ford 3.0L V6 EcoBoost engine used in the Ford Explorer ST, which is essentially a bored and stroked version of the 2.7. Now, those problems are once again surfacing in certain examples of the sixth-generation Bronco, too.

With a grand total of 32 Bronco owners filing complaints related to engine failure thus far, Ford noted in its NHTSA filing that 25,538 SUVs could ultimately be affected by this issue. So far, affected customers claim that their vehicles experienced a loss of power while driving at highway speeds, after which the Broncos would not restart due to catastrophic engine failure.

Let's get @Ford Motor Company on the phone because I have a fix for this issue!

Dump the P.O.S. little turbo engines, drop in either the 5.0 Coyote or even the 6.8 Baby Godzilla engine into those 25k affected vehicles (which my guess is I'm in that range for a bad engine as I was within the range posted on B6G last year per when it was build. Though knock on wood, no problems yet). And everyone is happy :love: My guess is a nice big V8 can't do much worse than the 17.2 MPG I'm currently getting :sick:

Or Option #2, Ford can give out LIFETIME Power Train warranties to the 25,537 affected vehicles, and JUST GIVE ME A V8! :)
2021 Broncos - BaseSquatch 4dr. Rapid Red V6 Soft Top
Big Bed 4dr. AMB V6 Soft Top Tow (BIL's)
Nitto tires SUCK! You've been warned.
Speed Devil, Bronco V-8

Libations MOD

Jun 08, 2022

Same 2.7 in the Bronco as the F150. People are claiming they used a different supplier for valves on the 2.7’s that failed but they would be the same specs. That’s a quality control issue.

The 2.7 in the Edge ST is slightly different. It produces 10 more HP, but it’s fundamentally the same engine.

My point is the 2.7 has proven to be a reliable engine over the past several years. This is a fluke and no call for concern.
FMC already said it was a different manufacturer of valves and yes it is QC at the manufacturer end
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
BroncoFred, Bschurr

Rank III

Jun 15, 2022

Do they qualify the 25000 plus vehicles in the filling like made during these dates or from this plan?
2022 murdered OBX SAS

Rank V

Jun 15, 2022

I wouldn’t grant the accuracy regarding the claimed issue with the oil pan without another source verifying it. This author seems to have an axe to grind about the 2.7 and may be conflating old issues or just making unwarranted assumptions. The issue with the valves was reported last year and from multiple sources. It’s just coming back because of the reports of the Fed’s investigation.

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Jun 15, 2022

Let's get @Ford Motor Company on the phone because I have a fix for this issue!

Dump the P.O.S. little turbo engines, drop in either the 5.0 Coyote or even the 6.8 Baby Godzilla engine into those 25k affected vehicles (which my guess is I'm in that range for a bad engine as I was within the range posted on B6G last year per when it was build. Though knock on wood, no problems yet). And everyone is happy :love: My guess is a nice big V8 can't do much worse than the 17.2 MPG I'm currently getting :sick:

Or Option #2, Ford can give out LIFETIME Power Train warranties to the 25,537 affected vehicles, and JUST GIVE ME A V8! :)

I got a 2.3, I still wanna make a claim so I can get a V8
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
Bschurr, AcesandEights