Black Diamond or Badlands...I can't decide!

Bronc96
Oct 24, 2020

Rank VI

Oct 24, 2020

I was hoping to enlist the assistance of my fellow BN friends to weigh in on my decision making dilemma with my Bronco build. :)

Should I go Black Diamond with Sasquatch and the 2.7 w/auto or step up to the Badlands (no Sasquatch) and the 2.3 w/the manual? I am disappointed on the late availability for manual and Sasquatch, however not sure I can wait. Looks like you get close to a Sasquatch capability with the Badlands less the 35s and I can still have the manual. The other concern is will the attraction to the manual wear off after a short time and wish I had the bigger engine...

My other goal here is to keep my build cost under $50k which is tough to do with all of the cool options we can add!

Thanks all for the input!

Black Diamond Squatch...
1603559310595.png
Badlands...
1603559521449.png
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
Commodore

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Oct 24, 2020

Badlands and FE have a unique heavy duty Badlands Suspension that you can't get on any other trim. Even the Wildtrak has "standard duty suspension". Although we don't know all of the details yet, the Badlands Suspension includes more than just the lift and upgraded shocks you get with the Sasquatch package and the stabilizer bar disconnect. Per a Ford rep at the Super-Cel West, there are frame reinforcements where the suspension components attach. I haven't found any other info yet, but I think there may be more. If you want to do a lot of serious off-roading or rock-crawling, I'd go with Badlands. In my opinion, Sasquatch is unnecessary on the Badlands. I'm currently wavering between stock Badlands and Base with Sasquatch.
Commodore, Bronc96

Rank VI

Oct 24, 2020

Badlands and FE have a unique heavy duty Badlands Suspension that you can't get on any other trim. Even the Wildtrak has "standard duty suspension". Although we don't know all of the details yet, the Badlands Suspension includes more than just the lift and upgraded shocks you get with the Sasquatch package and the stabilizer bar disconnect. Per a Ford rep at the Super-Cel West, there are frame reinforcements where the suspension components attach. I haven't found any other info yet, but I think there may be more. If you want to do a lot of serious off-roading or rock-crawling, I'd go with Badlands. In my opinion, Sasquatch is unnecessary on the Badlands. I'm currently wavering between stock Badlands and Base with Sasquatch.
Interesting, thanks for the info! I was thinking the Sasquatch gave you similar suspension to Badlands with an adjustment for the larger tires, however this could be a game changer with the new info. (y)
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
Commodore, TorgSurv

Rank VI

Oct 24, 2020

I was originally a Wildtrak guy but after messing with B&P I’m 100% going Badlands. I think Badlands is the cream of the crop and if you can swing it, I’d go this route! My build is sitting at 57k yikes!!!
Commodore, TorgSurv

Rank VI

Oct 24, 2020

After playing with B&P I am truly torn between Wildtrak or Badlands. Just not a fan of that brown/tan/sand color inside the Wildtrak. However, concerned about the hold up of the vinyl in Badlands, especially with a large dog. So confused on what to do!?!?!
Commodore, jmtseven

Rank VI

Oct 24, 2020

After playing with B&P I am truly torn between Wildtrak or Badlands. Just not a fan of that brown/tan/sand color inside the Wildtrak. However, concerned about the hold up of the vinyl in Badlands, especially with a large dog. So confused on what to do!?!?!
Same boat for me. I reserved a wildtrak but the interior colors have me going for a badlands I think.
Commodore, jmtseven

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Oct 24, 2020

I think the vinyl will be tough, it's designed to hold up to the elements. Whatever seat material, if you dog is going to ride on the seat instead of in the cargo area, I'd put a seat cover in.
Commodore, Bronc96

Rank VI

Oct 24, 2020

Same boat for me. I reserved a wildtrak but the interior colors have me going for a badlands I think.
That interior was the first thing that got me on the Badlands Bandwagon. Not a fan. Plain black works for me
Commodore, jmtseven

Rank VI

Oct 24, 2020

I agree as well. Orvis has some really nice seat covers and door protectors for the rear. We have them in our MDX and they work great to protect the leather.
Commodore, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Oct 24, 2020

Wish I could swap out the orange interior trim accents on the Badlands for the BD blue. Would compliment the Velocity Blue paint nicely. ;) I love how the 2 door has exposed painted metal on the interior side of the doors!
RandallLohn, tbk115

Gladesmen

Oct 25, 2020

As per the interior materials video the Badlands is the top trim level, so the resale might be higher. It is The only trim level you can get the 7 speed in any option level. So a 7speed will be fairly rare. As said before the badlands is basically a Sasquatch less wheels and tires and a slight lift. All that can be added later and you get a choice of wheels and tires. My original build was going to be a black Diamond mid package, but the wife wants at least the high package and we want the 7-speed. So now we will do the BL, high pkg, hard top, towing, 7-speed. I figured if I’m time when the Bronco is paid off if I find the 2.3 is too anemic I will do an engine swap or just tune the snot out of it. But I really don’t think it will be a problem.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
GToddC5, Commodore

Rank VI

Oct 25, 2020

As per the interior materials video the Badlands is the top trim level, so the resale might be higher. It is The only trim level you can get the 7 speed in any option level. So a 7speed will be fairly rare. As said before the badlands is basically a Sasquatch less wheels and tires and a slight lift. All that can be added later and you get a choice of wheels and tires. My original build was going to be a black Diamond mid package, but the wife wants at least the high package and we want the 7-speed. So now we will do the BL, high pkg, hard top, towing, 7-speed. I figured if I’m time when the Bronco is paid off if I find the 2.3 is too anemic I will do an engine swap or just tune the snot out of it. But I really don’t think it will be a problem.
Good plan, think I am leaning that way as well. Wish I could afford to have all the options but trying to be keep an eye on budget and keep it reasonable. I think you are right...in the future if anyone went manual Badlands they might have a rare and sought after piece of machinery. No tellin how long Ford keeps the manual option around if it doesn't sell well. ;)
Commodore, Jakob1972

Rank III

Oct 29, 2020

First Edition doesn’t show tube side steps , only show rock panels. Also doesn’t show tow setup?
Commodore

Rank 0

Nov 03, 2020

This seems to be the never-ending question that I bounce back and forth on...every day. I signed up for the Black Diamond but after specn' out my Bronco, I am leaning towards Badlands. I want a bit more creature comforts than what the BD has to offer and the sig lighting. I initially was going to Sasquatch my BD or BL but the more I think about it, I would be happy with the 33s on the BL or upgrading the BD tires. I am not an expert off-roader and although I like the "it's about the look mentality", I also don't want to just throw away $2500-$5000 for no reason. The BL appears to really be the best bang for the buck but even with BD, I am happy.
Bronc96, Commodore

Gladesmen

Nov 03, 2020

This seems to be the never-ending question that I bounce back and forth on...every day. I signed up for the Black Diamond but after specn' out my Bronco, I am leaning towards Badlands. I want a bit more creature comforts than what the BD has to offer and the sig lighting. I initially was going to Sasquatch my BD or BL but the more I think about it, I would be happy with the 33s on the BL or upgrading the BD tires. I am not an expert off-roader and although I like the "it's about the look mentality", I also don't want to just throw away $2500-$5000 for no reason. The BL appears to really be the best band for the buck but even with BD, I am happy.
It is funny how we are talking like 33” tire are small. That is why I am leaning to the no squatch BL. It gets me the high pkg and I can get the manual transmission. My little brother has 33” on 20” wheels on his four runner TRD an it looks really good. There looks like there is enough side wall to actually do some off roading. My buddy and I drove all over Hidden Falls in his black widow F150 that had 33” on 22” wheels it looks like rubber bands stretched around the wheels and we did fine just had to take it slow. Made some of the tough spots more technical but that was the fun part. The only thing about the BL 33” is they could be a little wider but that is an easy fix.
Oh and I have 20” 33s on my F250 and that is plenty of tire for my needs.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
TorgSurv, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Nov 03, 2020

It is funny how we are talking like 33” tire are small. That is why I am leaning to the no squatch BL. It gets me the high pkg and I can get the manual transmission. My little brother has 33” on 20” wheels on his four runner TRD an it looks really good. There looks like there is enough side wall to actually do some off roading. My buddy and I drove all over Hidden Falls in his black widow F150 that had 33” on 22” wheels it looks like rubber bands stretched around the wheels and we did fine just had to take it slow. Made some of the tough spots more technical but that was the fun part. The only thing about the BL 33” is they could be a little wider but that is an easy fix.

Axles locked front and back with 33" tires will take you over and thru some pretty incredible terrain. The majority of crawling obstacles is driver and spotter experience imo. Mud, I have no idea lol.
2D BL, Sas, 2.7l, High, Silver 10:22pm 7/13/20 Res, 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/28 3/7 build dates
built 3/11/22, delivered 4/16/22
TorgSurv, Bronc96

Rank 0

Nov 03, 2020

Agreed, I think everyone just has a "more is better" mentality. I think 35s on all these broncos is going to be overkill, but likely for the look. I don't blame them, I just think the actual utility will be low. 32" and 33" tires for those who have never even had that large, is going to make a big difference aesthetically and for utility. Trying to keep myself restrained from just "throwing it all in".
BroncoMax, TorgSurv

Rank V

Nov 05, 2020

I really wanted to keep the price down because of my retirement coming up. I have two girls dogs, that I want to bring with me everywhere. ( I also have a significant other) So... I thought after all, well the 2-door base is for me. With Sasquatch, v-6, and few other options. It came to 37K. I decided to serious look at all the Broncos.....that I could afford. I can order a Black Diamond, with that bad ash interior, v-6, and keyless entry for 39,950! When you compare them all, with it comes with>>>>>the best, deal to me. Unless you have to all the pampering stuff, which I don't. I don't want to dissuade anyone, just for those who are wanting some SANE pricing, if you can call it that! My first house in California was 43,000K. The last house in the sub-division, the Builder model, in Bakersfield. Jesus....actually 40 years ago, 1980, man! Sorry listening to Donnie Iris Ah Leah. Forgive me. Got off on a tangent....THE BLACK DIAMOND>>>>>>is for me! Is this not awesome? I just can't wait. Ps I'm going to change my Avatar from McKinley Thompson Jr. To my new Ride. I had to say that in Tribute to him. Awesome Ford designer and his grand daughter help design the new 2021 Bronco's.......OLD STYLE>>> believe it. With clay and hand made tools to carve clay....I could only wish to be so talented. Peace, and safety to you all. Be safe, and well. Baja ON! BRONCO STYLE

Attachments

Baja on! As Ford Spanked the competition in 1969, in the Baja 1000, NO OTHER AUTOMAKER HAS, replicated in 50 plus years
tbk115, Fstfrd00