Bestop Sunrider Option for Bronco?

David
Nov 23, 2020

Rank VI

Nov 23, 2020

Earlier this year we saw a Bestop accessory option for Bronco that converted the front row of a hard top on a 4-Door into a retractable soft top in this video.

Closer inspection of the accessory from promotional photos seems to show a Bronco version of one of Bestop's Sunrider products. The video below demonstrates what installing one of the current Bestop Sunrider top accessories looks like. Could it be any different for Bronco? Would you consider this a good project for a novice in vehicle customization?

Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
Gutter Clown, nic
Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2020

Looking for rocks!

Nov 23, 2020

Hmmm, I would consider it fairly easy to install but I don't know if I would consider it a novice installation. I've met some really inept people mechanically which probably wouldn't be a "typical" Bronco owner, but I'm sure they're out there.
I also think that most novices would be too intimidated to try this installation.

Anyone have any experience with a top like this? I would think you would get a lot of wind noise from the bunched up top and buffeting inside without a front deflector like most sunroofs have.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.

Rank V

Nov 23, 2020

I have the Trektop NX Glide for my Wrangler. With anything I think you just have to have patience and time. The fact there was no drilling of new holes and everything went into existing slots/screw holes/etc. made the overall process less daunting. I remember it took me half a day to set it it up by myself. Once you install it, then taking it off and putting it back on is pretty easy (just keep the instructions lol).

What I don't like about the top I have is the rear access for putting in items and dealing with the window. I found myself wishing I had waited one more year for the 2018 Wrangler with the retractable roof. The top looks cool with the fast back, but just not practical for my daily use.

As for the wind noise, I honestly can't remember the last time I just flipped it open without just taking out the windows and putting it all the way down. I'm a little ocd and never could get it to fold all nice n pretty when flipping open the first part. After driving I know it would be sagging in the back seat vs all nice and uniform across the back seat. Probably user error on my part. From what I saw with the soft top for the Bronco, having the straps to hold it in the open position and the lack of a crossbar in the back seat probably make it easier to properly stow the first section.
Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Nov 23, 2020

The fact there was no drilling of new holes and everything went into existing slots/screw holes/etc. made the overall process less daunting.
This. I think there's a stark line of demarcation when the drills and saws come out.
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
Deano Bronc

Rank V

Nov 23, 2020

This. I think there's a stark line of demarcation when the drills and saws come out.
100%

Rank 0

Dec 31, 2020

I've installed this on my JKU and it is essential a must have for the Bronco. I can't remember where I read / heard it but from what I know, this top may only be available for the 4 door. I've been trying to find out if it will be available for the 2 door. If anyone has any solid info please share.

Rank V

Dec 31, 2020

I mention this in almost every thread with the Sunrider, but I hope that they make an extended version for the 4-door that replaces the back seat panel as well

I've installed this on my JKU and it is essential a must have for the Bronco. I can't remember where I read / heard it but from what I know, this top may only be available for the 4 door. I've been trying to find out if it will be available for the 2 door. If anyone has any solid info please share.
If the freedom panels are the same size on the 2-door and 4-door, then I can't imagine it being available for only the 4-door. So I guess the question is: are they the same size? I would think so.
Bald Eagle, Deano Bronc

Rank IV

Dec 31, 2020

I mention this in almost every thread with the Sunrider, but I hope that they make an extended version for the 4-door that replaces the back seat panel as well

If the freedom panels are the same size on the 2-door and 4-door, then I can't imagine it being available for only the 4-door. So I guess the question is: are they the same size? I would think so.

The front roof panels aren't the same length on the 2 door and 4 door.

I sent a note to Bestop a few weeks ago asking if they were going to make a Sunrider top that covered the full opening size on the 4 door without the front and middle panel. They said at the moment they weren't planning on making 2 Bronco Sunrider tops. Only one that covered the front panels.
Buckin', Deano Bronc

Rank 0

Dec 31, 2020

The top in the accessory guide specifically says it's for the 4 door so that is a big reason I'm not sure if it would fit the 2 door. Of course with Ford having so many issues with B&P it is possible no one paid attention to it saying 4 door. I had emailed Bestop a couple of months ago and they declined to provide any substantial info. Maybe I'll try reaching out again.
Buckin'

Rank 0

Dec 31, 2020

The front roof panels aren't the same length on the 2 door and 4 door.

I sent a note to Bestop a few weeks ago asking if they were going to make a Sunrider top that covered the full opening size on the 4 door without the front and middle panel. They said at the moment they weren't planning on making 2 Bronco Sunrider tops. Only one that covered the front panels.

I was typing my reply (above) when you posted this. Any mention by Bestop if they are making the 2 door sunrider?

Rank IV

Dec 31, 2020

I was typing my reply (above) when you posted this. Any mention by Bestop if they are making the 2 door sunrider?

You can read the response they gave me below. I didn't ask about a 2 door when I sent the note. I'm only interested in buying one if it replaced both rows on the 4 door. I have no interest in one only replacing the front row panels.

Attachments

ChrisKz225

Rank 0

Dec 31, 2020

You can read the response they gave me below. I didn't ask about a 2 door when I sent the note. I'm only interested in buying one if it replaced both rows on the 4 door. I have no interest in one only replacing the front row panels.

Thanks! As someone that owns one on a 4 door Jeep I will say there is zero comparison of the speed and convenience of flipping back this top vs removing the Jeep's panels. No exaggeration, I can put it up or down in 10 seconds. To remove the panels on the Jeep, 3-5 minutes or more. Plus you have to store them somewhere. My wife HATES riding around at highway speeds with the panels off / top down so if we're going somewhere on the highway I'll have the top down until we get close to the highway and flip it back up before we get going on the highway and the first stop sign / stop light we come to after we get off the highway it's going back down. Also super convenient when the weather changes. This is impossible with panels. Maybe the Bronco panels will be easier to remove than the Jeep's but they're not going to be that quick or convenient. Unless you have rear seat passengers most of the time, I'd suggest giving this some additional consideration. I've owned hard top and soft top Jeeps and this is the only way I'll ever drive again. People may think I'm joking, but this is a must have. I won't buy a Bronco unless I know this is available (I'm only considering a 2 door).
doublebullout, BroncoATX

Rank III

Jan 19, 2021

Uh both of those options are awesome. I plan on living with my top down in the Bronco.
Shadowblade