Best way to tow any Bronco behind an RV?

Commodore
Apr 29, 2021

Rank VI

Apr 29, 2021

Been working on a tow rated rig. Lots of considerations involved! Thought I’d specifically ask this group for opinions.

...Not that anyone here would be too shy.
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2021

Rank VI

Apr 29, 2021

I heard there is a trick regarding wheel base length

like you want the tires in the trailer to be the same distance away from the rear tires as the rear tires are from the front tires
???
...Thanks

Rank V

Apr 29, 2021

That question has already been answered. You can read all about it here:
https://thebronconation.com/2021-bronco-flat-tow-capable/
Rgwinn, Commodore

Rank VI

Apr 29, 2021

???
...Thanks
nevermind i completely didnt read the OP fully lol
Commodore

Rank VI

Apr 29, 2021

nevermind i completely didnt read the OP fully lol
No No... @Mdbeachguy
You’re correct! The Bronco Sport cannot be flat towed while the BRONCO can be.

Rank VI

Apr 30, 2021

I’m looking for 2-wheel or trailer tow options.

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Apr 30, 2021

If you tow your Bronco put a dummy holding a cell phone behind the wheel.
Slownstddy, Deano Bronc

Gladesmen

Apr 30, 2021

I’m looking for 2-wheel or trailer tow options.
If you are looking to use either the Two wheel dolly or a flatbed trailer. I’d go with the trailer. I don’t care for the uneven wear you will put on a vehicle towing it on a dolly. If your going Bronco flat tow or trailer. If you are going sport, trailer it. Just my two pennies.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Commodore

Rank 0

Mar 11, 2022

To tow my bronco on a two wheel dolly do I have to go through the flat tow release steps or just put it in neutral ?

Gladesmen

Mar 11, 2022

To tow my bronco on a two wheel dolly do I have to go through the flat tow release steps or just put it in neutral ?
Welcome to the Nation! Dolly and a manual I think you can just put it in neutral. Dolly and Automatic I would follow the flat tow protocol.
Best to verify with the owners manual before towing it.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery

Rank 0

Mar 11, 2022

Welcome to the Nation! Dolly and a manual I think you can just put it in neutral. Dolly and Automatic I would follow the flat tow protocol.
Best to verify with the owners manual before towing it.
Ok Thanks

Rank 0

Mar 31, 2022

So I did tow my Bronco on a dolly behind my Motor Home. Let me tell you this story, there no information anywhere that I could find about towing a bronco other than a flat tow. I called Ford Tech service and they have no information either.
So I hooked it up to the dolly, strapped it down and placed it in neutral tow mode. I rolled fine and the first trip was about 2 hours or 90 miles. Once at my destination I proceeded to remove the Bronco and put it back down on the ground. I opened the door to get in and the dashboard was indicating almost 6 faults. 1. Your ABS has failed, 2. Parking Brake failure, 3. track control failure, 4. hill assist failure. and 2 more I can't remember. All of the failures were indicating to press OK, that did nothing. So after I calmed down I took it out of Neutral tow and it back off the dolly. I tried several tricks to clear the faults but nothing worked. My only thought was to get in it and drive it to the nearest dealer. Got in it and drove it about 1/4 miles and all the faults cleared themselves and it was back to normal.
This did also happened again when I towed it home on the dolly, but again the faults cleared themselves after about a 1/4 of a mile.
The only thing I can think of is the computer gets scrambled when the rear wheels are turning and the fronts are not. Once you drive it the computer clears itself. anyone else seen or heard of this?

Rank V

Mar 31, 2022

FORD IS VERY CLEAR IN THERE RV AND TRAILER TOWING GUIDE YOU CANNOT TOW THE BRONCO ON A DOLLY, EITHER FOUR WHEELS DOWN OR FOUR WHEELS UP.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/...ilerTowingGuide_Calculator-Fleet_r4_Mar16.pdf
Jakob1972

Rank 0

Apr 01, 2022

OK, but is the problem a software issue or is there a mechanical issue?

Rank V

Apr 01, 2022

OK, but is the problem a software issue or is there a mechanical issue?
My best guess is both. When towing with a dolly the rear part of the transfer is turning and the front part is not. Also there all kinds of sensors monitoring wheel rotation and it may not like the rear turning and the front not.

Rank 0

Apr 01, 2022

It's true the computer and sensors do not like it. But if it was being flat towed the rear part of the transfer case would be turning anyway.

Rank V

Apr 02, 2022

It's true the computer and sensors do not like it. But if it was being flat towed the rear part of the transfer case would be turning anyway.
Yes but the front part is also turning. I don't know maybe less oil agitation and less heat when they are turning together. Also depending which transfer case you have there are some clutches involved.

Rank 0

Apr 02, 2022

I'm not sure its mechanical, just a confused computer.

Rank 0

Jun 17, 2022

So an update on towing my Bronco with a dolly.
As I previously mentioned I was experiencing a confused computer whenever I would tow my Bronco in neutral tow mode on a dolly.
so after towing it about ten times, the computer no longer gets confused. I think it's a learning computer. I can now tow it with my dolly and
nothing happens when I unload it, just like normal.

Rank V

Jun 17, 2022

May the Force be with you.