Best GOAT mode for Snow

Narhwal
Dec 04, 2021

Rank 0

Dec 04, 2021

Hello,

I recently bought a 2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks. I am wondering which GOAT mode would be best for conditions like the ones below? I did put factory-sized studded tires on the wheels. It is mostly dry snow but sometimes there is Ice, and on days when it snows a lot there can be a lot of powder before the plows get there (Alaska).

I read the cautions in the manual about only using the 4WD GOAT modes when necessary (only Slippery and Sand in the Outer Banks) so I don't want to needlessly wear out my drivetrain. I've experimented with it a bit and driving in Normal seems OK unless I hit a big patch of Ice or deep powder, especially on a corner or curve. Most of the roads look like what's below though, i.e. plowed. Would it be OK to use slippery all the time in winter or should I be driving in Normal and then only changing to Slippery when I think traction problems are likely?

Yeah, I wanted a Badlands but couldn't find one when I was in the L48 and had the opportunity to get a BS to drive up. Thanks in advance.
snowy.jpeg

On the drive up from the L48 dealership. Cactus gray.
bronco.jpg
Cornwelltoolman

Rank IV

Dec 05, 2021

By no means am I an expert, but we occasionally drive in snow in the winter months when we get it, but I would just leave in normal and use slippery when needed. Because of the studded tires that you already have on. Good Luck
Speed is The Freedom of The Soul !!!

Rank V

Dec 05, 2021

Did you add Advanced 4x4 to your outer banks order? If not, your transfer case is a part-time 4x4 system. That means you should only engage it when you are not on firm ground. This is because the transfer case doesn't have a differential in it. and driving on firm ground where all 4 tires have good traction and you go around a corner, the gears will bind and could damage the transfer case housing.
It should only be used when offroad, on loose ground. You could use it at slow speed on a road, say if you are stuck on some ice or in some snow. Just be careful of driving too far or more importantly too fast.
Choose a goat mode that you would choose for mud when dealing with snow.
If you have the Advanced 4x4, just stick it in 4a.
2D Base Mansquatch: Ord 11-24-2021; VIN 3-16-2022; Schd 5/9/22; Sticker 5/4/22; Modules 5/10/22;Built 5/11/22;Shipt 5/12/22;Delv 5/24/22
Bronco 202?

Rank 0

Dec 05, 2021

Did you add Advanced 4x4 to your outer banks order? If not, your transfer case is a part-time 4x4 system. That means you should only engage it when you are not on firm ground. This is because the transfer case doesn't have a differential in it. and driving on firm ground where all 4 tires have good traction and you go around a corner, the gears will bind and could damage the transfer case housing.
It should only be used when offroad, on loose ground. You could use it at slow speed on a road, say if you are stuck on some ice or in some snow. Just be careful of driving too far or more importantly too fast.

I don't think it has Advanced 4x4. It was purchased off a dealer lot, not ordered.

Rank V

Dec 06, 2021

It's a Sport.

Rank V

Dec 06, 2021

It's a Sport.
Doh! For the sport, Slippery or Rock Crawl. Slippery when just driving around when it's snowing out and sticking on the ground or dealing with black ice on the road. Rock crawl will lock the rear diff and help get you unstuck should you get stuck somewhere.
2D Base Mansquatch: Ord 11-24-2021; VIN 3-16-2022; Schd 5/9/22; Sticker 5/4/22; Modules 5/10/22;Built 5/11/22;Shipt 5/12/22;Delv 5/24/22

Rank IV

Jan 13, 2022

Doh! For the sport, Slippery or Rock Crawl. Slippery when just driving around when it's snowing out and sticking on the ground or dealing with black ice on the road. Rock crawl will lock the rear diff and help get you unstuck should you get stuck somewhere.
"Slippery" or "Sand" - it's an Outer Banks and doesn't have "Rock Crawl"... we've been using "Sand" instead of "Slippery" because we found "Slippery" so sluggish, and only use it when the roads are covered, not dry pavement... we're in New England!
Regards,

JimD - 2021 Bronco Sport "Big Bend" - 2019 F-450 Super Duty 6.7l - 2021 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

Rank V

Jan 14, 2022

"Slippery" or "Sand" - it's an Outer Banks and doesn't have "Rock Crawl"... we've been using "Sand" instead of "Slippery" because we found "Slippery" so sluggish, and only use it when the roads are covered, not dry pavement... we're in New England!
slippery is useful if you are trying to avoid wheel spin / slip and sand will be better if you’re trying to maintain wheel speed (probably for deeper snow scenarios)
jimd1050

Rank IV

Jan 16, 2022

slippery is useful if you are trying to avoid wheel spin / slip and sand will be better if you’re trying to maintain wheel speed (probably for deeper snow scenarios)
Agreed, like "Black Ice" which we see up here in New England when we get freezing rain during our Nor'easters - "Slippery" would be perfect for that! Snow, hard packed snow, etc., we use "Sand" Mode! (or "Normal" if it's only an inch or two)
Regards,

JimD - 2021 Bronco Sport "Big Bend" - 2019 F-450 Super Duty 6.7l - 2021 Keystone Cougar 30RLS
Deano Bronc

Rank IV

Jan 20, 2022

Stick with NORMAL mode. Using any other GOAT mode that engages the 4WD system while on the pavement will cause premature wear.