Not sure why this made me so happy....oh wait....I know exactly why!!

BroncoBetty21
Oct 27, 2023

Rank II

Oct 27, 2023

Not sure if anyone keeps tabs on Matt's off-road recovery service out there in southern Utah? A little back story, there's a sand hillside near the river that, when it's warm out, the sand is basically baby powder and you just sink in. Matt complains constantly about recovering off-roaders who go down the hillside and need to be rescued because they can't get back up. His rigs are highly modified machines, he is a very experienced off-road driver and even they struggle in the super soft sand. But, he decided, on a bit of a whim to take all his rigs and some visiting overlander-bloggers to the bottom to see who could get out in the fewest attempts. One of his employees brought his Bronco.
It's long, about an hour of them getting stuck constantly, equipment breaking down and trying every possible shenanigan to get up the hillside.
but if you're a TL:DR kid like me, fast forward to the 34 minute mark and just...enjoy 😆 (link below)

Off-Road Recovery
rws, Thesedays
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2023

Moab or bust!!!

Oct 27, 2023

Not sure if anyone keeps tabs on Matt's off-road recovery service out there in southern Utah? A little back story, there's a sand hillside near the river that, when it's warm out, the sand is basically baby powder and you just sink in. Matt complains constantly about recovering off-roaders who go down the hillside and need to be rescued because they can't get back up. His rigs are highly modified machines, he is a very experienced off-road driver and even they struggle in the super soft sand. But, he decided, on a bit of a whim to take all his rigs and some visiting overlander-bloggers to the bottom to see who could get out in the fewest attempts. One of his employees brought his Bronco.
It's long, about an hour of them getting stuck constantly, equipment breaking down and trying every possible shenanigan to get up the hillside.
but if you're a TL:DR kid like me, fast forward to the 34 minute mark and just...enjoy 😆 (link below)

Off-Road Recovery

Wow, that whole thing was a big cluster! The Bronco was the big winner though.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
Chief Ron, Kenneth

Home again, Home again

Oct 27, 2023

Off-Road Recovery
We’ll done, Bronco!

Crazy video!
Riding OB1, 23 4- door Outer Banks, SAS, MOD, MIC, Lux, Ordered 10/20/22, delivered 1/13/23
Chief Ron, Kenneth

Rank V

Oct 27, 2023

I believe that was a Wildtrak with some modifications? Very impressive.
Experienced off-roaders know there are obstacles and situations you simply must not attempt. It may be because of vehicle or driver limitations, but "Um...looks like fun, but I better turn back." Even though he was an invited guest, the Porsche should have parked at the top and not attempted that sand hill.
I enjoy Matt's videos. They're entertaining, and also cautionary tales to remind me of what tomfoolery I need to avoid.
Anybody knows what kind of bill people get when he has to drive, say, 50 miles with two vehicles and a crew of six or seven?
Kenneth, Laura
Moderator Staff member

Administrator

Oct 27, 2023

Wow, the Bronco attempt was even better if you watched the struggle beforehand. Their videos are always fun to watch but yeah, they do serve as warnings -- fill up and carry extra gear!
2021 Oxford White 2-door non-Sas Mid package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
2021 Carbonized Gray 2-door Sas High package 2.7L/10-speed Badlands with MIC top
Keeping the Jeeps: stock '89 XJ and 3.5" lifted '00 XJ on 31s
robatl067, Mobius 1

Rank V

Oct 28, 2023

did someone really bring a porsche😂 off road . I heard them ask "isn't this porsche off-road vehicle. That's a pavement queen, not an off-road vehicle. Maybe the owners thought all those stickers and decals would make it an off-road vehicle. I heard that every sticker adds 10hp and if you number your car it can add up to 100hp cause it automatically makes it a rally car. And damn, it looked like the bronco didn't even have to try. Yay for the bronco.
Deano Bronc, Jakob1972

Life is a Highway

Oct 28, 2023

That was one long day. Interesting there were no recovery boards?
Deano Bronc, Jakob1972

No Ragerts

Oct 28, 2023

I have been a long time subscriber to Matt’s Off Road Recovery YouTube channel - great stuff!
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Polaris425, Deano Bronc

Rank II

Oct 29, 2023

That was one long day. Interesting there were no recovery boards?

I was just wondering the same thing.
Jakob1972

Gladesmen

Oct 29, 2023

Yeah seems like the Bronco gets to go on several recoveries. I like the Morvair but I want the wrecker that thing is cool in a Mad max kinda way. I like how they explain what they are doing and why they do it that way. My favorite thing is when Matt says we may not have done that the right way… but in my book if nothing breaks and no one gets hurt and you get the folks out it is the right way. There just might be several right ways to do it.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Chief Ron, Roughstock11

Rank II

Oct 30, 2023

Love watching MORR. I've been watching for a year or more now. And I too was very pleased that the bronco made minced meat out of the sand hill.

If you like MORR, check out FabRats too if you're not already. Great videos as well and he too has attempted the famous
sand hill in his custom built wrecker.

My wife and I are planning a trip out west probably in late 2024, or early 2025 (Depends on when I get my Bronco). MORR and FabRats are on our list of shops to stop by and we will definitely be going by Sand Hollow. But NOT that sand hill.... lol
'24 Badlands Sasquatch
Chief Ron, Roughstock11

Rank II

Oct 31, 2023

If you've seen any of Matt's other videos, he hates recovery boards...his contention is, if you get unstuck with recovery boards, you were never really stuck. It is a Wildtrak, running 37's with tie-rod braces, a 2 inch lift (I believe, might be 3?) and replacement bumpers, rockslide steps and some additional bash plates. They did an episode on all the upgrades when he got it (and the next day I emailed him about selling me his oem wheels and steps and he agreed - win-win). It is an overlander Porsche Cayenne with slightly beefy road tires? But it's not at all built for that terrain, it is sooo out of it's league there. Like they said in the video, the computer in it was basically killing it. I definitely want to check out that area and maybe visit Morr and FabRats...seems like a fun place for shenanigans.
Deano Bronc, Chief Ron

Rank II

Oct 31, 2023

I couldn't help but wonder if the porche had a programmer to keep it from cutting power, and at least 1 locker, if it could make it. It definitely has a weight advantage.
'24 Badlands Sasquatch
Chief Ron

Rank II

Oct 31, 2023

I couldn't help but wonder if the porche had a programmer to keep it from cutting power, and at least 1 locker, if it could make it. It definitely has a weight advantage.

He noted, when he hit the gas it would do nothing and that sounds (to me) like the age old Subaru problem where, as soon as it gets stuck the computer freaks out and the throttle response becomes zero. It won't spin one tire, it won't rev up, it won't do anything, the gas pedal effectively becomes dead. So I wonder if the Porsche computer spazzed out and went into "oh crap" mode and killed all the power. Ahh, the good old days of mechanical throttle linkage, where you could burn those spinning tires to the ground and blow out the transmission.
Polaris425, Deano Bronc