Base in rapid red

frankgoss
Mar 17, 2021

Rank V

Mar 17, 2021

Well I joined the family . Had Eddie Bauer gen 3 Bronco great seats, but gave to one of my sons. Still have my Eddie Bauer luggage and leather coat. So here is my question .
How to prevent salt water damage? Have 2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6l, but lots if rust due to ramping sever boats. Just was told $500 ti $1000 to weld plates on frame to mount new upper control arms. Also brake fluid supply steel lines are ready to explode.
Does Bronco by Ford still mean" Fix or repair daily". Should I cancel 2022 order on red base with hard top? My dealer only had 34 allotment for Broncos out of 170 reservations.20% Any replies.
TorgSurv
Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2021

Home, home on the range

Mar 18, 2021

Living in the North we don't have salt water issues but do have road salt issues. I lost my last "little" SUV to rust (frame rusted through and too expensive to repair). Since I'll be buying the Bronco brand new i do plan on undercoating. I have seen trucks with a coating of rubberized material almost like a bedliner on rocker panels and fenders to protect against rust. Don't know how well it works. I know some guys replace their brake line with another material that doesn't rust like steel. Washing the salt off as soon as possible is another idea. I guess it all comes down to how you choose to handle it. It's not just one brand's issue. I've owned several Ford trucks over the years and actually had more mechanical issues with another brand than i ever had with Ford.
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
Bronc96, 14U

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Mar 24, 2021

I agree, just wash the salt off as soon as possible. When I pull a boat out of salt water I make sure to spray off the undercarriage of the tow vehicle really well, and it seems to do the trick.

I say keep your order. Even if you're pushed to a 22, it will be worth the wait. And welcome to the Base club!
Bronc96, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Mar 24, 2021

Did that but control arm in upper area are recessed where ball joints are pressed into. No way to drain the middle of the upper control arms. Ford may use different steel since frame has no rust to speak of. Poorly engineered parts. Different steel grade for hanger brackets that are welded on so upper control arm can be bolted onto.
PS SAW RAPID RED METALLIC TINT CLEARCOAT AT ANOTHER DEALERS. HAS JUST HINT IF BROWN (RED/BLACK) BUT HAS SOME METAL FLAKES.
14U

Rank VI

Mar 25, 2021

Welcome aboard! I do a lot of beach driving in the OBX and have similar concerns. The Rover guys have been using a product, Waxoyl, for years that seems to work well but once you coat the undercarriage there is not going back. Worth checking out for extreme environment usage. (y)

https://www.waxoyl-usa com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2OijiJbK7wIVaUpyCh1CogUREAAYASAAEgI_f_D_BwE
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
Summit981

Rank V

Mar 27, 2021

Living in the North we don't have salt water issues but do have road salt issues. I lost my last "little" SUV to rust (frame rusted through and too expensive to repair). Since I'll be buying the Bronco brand new i do plan on undercoating. I have seen trucks with a coating of rubberized material almost like a bedliner on rocker panels and fenders to protect against rust. Don't know how well it works. I know some guys replace their brake line with another material that doesn't rust like steel. Washing the salt off as soon as possible is another idea. I guess it all comes down to how you choose to handle it. It's not just one brand's issue. I've owned several Ford trucks over the years and actually had more mechanical issues with another brand than i ever had with Ford.
Replacing your brake lines with stainless helps. I worked years ago (40+) at a Buick dealership for two years. They were a generational Family owned business which really cared about their customers. Giving them rides to work, or back home. Then pick them up at said location when their their vehicle was done. If it wasn't they would produce a vehicle for them to drive until their vehicle was completed. Many single women bought Buick Regals from this Dealership because of their reputation, and how they understood, PEOPLE rely on their cars. Sorry for the rant. A couple times a year this said dealership would give away "undercoating" with every Buick sold. They would sell so many cars, it wasn't funny. The service building was awash with new deliveries waiting to be completed. So, if you get your vehicle undercoated>>>>>before any water hits the belly, you can stave-off the rust and corrosion a bit. The manufacturers are much better about rust now. But it still happens because of chipping from rocks, and scrapping from anything. If you use your vehicle for towing a boat to a salt water boat ramp..... there isn't anything that can help but watering your vehicle immediately. The "undercoating" resembled coal tar, but I'm not for sure what the dealership used. They undercoated my new 1978 Chevy Van for free, because I worked there. It also made that Van quieter! Baja On!
Baja on! As Ford Spanked the competition in 1969, in the Baja 1000, NO OTHER AUTOMAKER HAS, replicated in 50 plus years
Sdakotabronco