Audio Upgrade with Sub and Amp

Mattwings
Apr 19, 2022

Rank VI

Apr 19, 2022

I was disappointed with the factory audio from day one. I made several "stepped" upgrades, each time getting better sound, the first two versions left me wanting more volume and bass, particularly with the top open/off.

My steps included-

1. Swapped the stock 4" dash speakers for more efficient/lower resistance Infinity Reference 4" speakers. Much clearer, slightly more volume and better overall sound. Still not "good" but good enough as I worked on other priorities.
2. Added Audio Control L2CI line converter/processer and an old MTX amp, swapped front 4" and kick panel 6.75" for Kicker KS series. Better volume, slightly better bass. This would be where I thought it was "good". Enough volume to hear with the top off and decent bass at lower volumes with the top on. It was still a bit disappointing on the low frequencies and the kick panel and dash speakers struggled when they had to try and reproduce the lower frequencies and or louder volumes.
3. What I ended up with-

Amp- Kenwood KAC M3004
Processor- Audio Control L2CI
Speakers Kicker KS Series 4&6.75” front
Infinity reference 4” rear (waiting for warranty replacement)
Polk Audio 8” DB+ shallow mount woofer
Custom .44 cu ft cabinet

About $100 in parts and materials 8 hours of wiring, installation and “box building”.

Overall a decent value ($750 total budget +\-) and fun project.

Some additional details, pics and specs here-
https://michiganbroncos.club/forums/viewthread/20/
BarryHo, Jonesbald2008
Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2022

Rank III

Apr 21, 2022

any more pics?
Badlands... on order... still...

Rank VI

Apr 21, 2022

any more pics?
Everything else is hidden. There are a few of the enclosure being constructed in the MI Bronco Club posting.

The last one is kind of cool, shows the mounting system. so far it's working really well, very solid.

Rank III

Apr 22, 2022

Thanks
Badlands... on order... still...