Are Mud Flaps Worth It?

benjaminkrawiec
Mar 24, 2021

Rank V

Mar 24, 2021

Is it worth optioning the dealer-installer mud flaps? I believe they retail for around $100 for the set (front/rear) but are hard molded plastic. I suppose it would help stop some of the debris from being kicked up, but would hinder some ground clearance and they could get yanked off since they’re hard molded. Any thoughts?
Jakob1972, ResidualGenius
Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2021

Libations MOD

Mar 24, 2021

Is it worth optioning the dealer-installer mud flaps? I believe they retail for around $100 for the set (front/rear) but are hard molded plastic. I suppose it would help stop some of the debris from being kicked up, but would hinder some ground clearance and they could get yanked off since they’re hard molded. Any thoughts?
IMO nope, I don't like the looks of them, but that's me
WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
benjaminkrawiec, Jakob1972

Gladesmen

Mar 24, 2021

Just my opinion but I am not a fan. I live Down a dirt road and never felt the need for them.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
ResidualGenius

Rank III

Mar 24, 2021

I don't like the looks of mud flaps, but may end up getting some. If you drive on dirt roads in the West (even here in OK) there is a lot of rock on the road. The Broncs are normally FWD and those front wheels will throw a lot of road debris down the side of of the vehicle. Over time this can cause some paint damage, especially if you upgrade to larger tread width tires. People you pass will prefer you to have rear flaps. I plan or running 245/65/17 Falken Wildpeaks on my BSBL. I'll likely get some flaps on at least on the front at a local 4WD accessory store. Will have them tint the front windows to match the factory tint on the rest of the vehicle at the same time.

My build date has been pushed from 4/23 to 5/10. So looking at middle of June for delivery at best. This is going to be a four month delivery date on an in production model. I know the reasons, but when you're told 8-10 weeks delivery, this is unacceptable. In business everyone is held accountable for their promises. Ford will lose some sales to competitors due to the long order process. I just want my damn order as promised. I can deal with getting it rigged.
benjaminkrawiec, 14U
OBXBroncoGuy

Mar 24, 2021

I've gotten them to protect the side and back and normally drive on pavement, but depends on where you take it.
14U

Rank V

Mar 24, 2021

They can tend to get caught up on stuff.
So guess it depends on what your going to do.

Screenshot_2021-03-13-11-13-23-1.png
Or this :)

Screenshot_2021-03-21-15-44-49-1.png
Find Your Happy Place !
benjaminkrawiec

Rank V

Mar 24, 2021

I don't lie the looks of mud flaps, but may end up getting some. If you drive on dirt roads in the West (even here in OK) there is a lot of rock on the road. The Broncs are normally FWD and those front wheels will throw a lot of road debris down the side of of the vehicle. Over time this can cause some paint damage, especially if you upgrade to larger tread width tires. People you pass will prefer you to have rear flaps. I plan or running 245/65/17 Falken Wildpeaks on my BSBL. I'll likely get some flaps on at least on the front at a local 4WD accessory store. Will have them tint the front windows to match the factory tint on the rest of the vehicle at the same time.

My build date has been pushed from 4/23 to 5/10. So looking at middle of June for delivery at best. This is going to be a four month delivery date on an in production model. I know the reasons, but when you're told 8-10 weeks delivery, this is unacceptable. In business everyone is held accountable for their promises. Ford will lose some sales to competitors due to the long order process. I just want my damn order as promised. I can deal with getting it rigged.
Hmmm? Regarding order and delivery time.
Have been searching for the right vehicle for almost 2 years easily.
Here in so.cal.
Very difficult to find vehicles in stock how you want them...or perhaps just these type trims.
While waiting for my Badlands build. Have been pounding the pavement seeking to test drive
Rav4 trd
Subaru outback w turbo
(new engine for that 260hp)
and jeep cherokee trailhawk.

Extremely difficult to find in stock!
Actually only found one
Rav4 trd and one cherokee trailhawk both in white.
Of which i wouldnt want in white regardless.

After the previous years of tremendous fun and searching...
After seeing & driving Badlands sport.
Happily ordered one in Black ;)

Rank VI

Mar 24, 2021

They will get caught on stuff off road, if you're really into the rocks or driving over obstacles. Where I've found they are useful though is in the winter. It's not so much the mud, although they do help with that, but the water and snow. I have running boards and will come out to find them with a layer of ice, from water kicked up from driving that has settled on the running board and then froze. They made a very big difference for that (on a different vehicle).
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
TrailReady

Rank V

Mar 24, 2021

They will get caught on stuff off road, if you're really into the rocks or driving over obstacles. Where I've found they are useful though is in the winter. It's not so much the mud, although they do help with that, but the water and snow. I have running boards and will come out to find them with a layer of ice, from water kicked up from driving that has settled on the running board and then froze. They made a very big difference for that (on a different vehicle).
Ahaa that is good feedback!
benjaminkrawiec

Rank V

Mar 24, 2021

Feel like the mud flap would just end up getting ripped off on the trail.

Rank V

Mar 25, 2021

Has anyone installed, or even seen in-person, the way more expensive Gatorback heavy duty splash guards? They “appear” to be more-flexible than the less-expensive splash guards.

Rank V

Mar 31, 2021

Feel like the mud flap would just end up getting ripped off on the trail.
That’s exactly my concern!

Rank V

Mar 31, 2021

Has anyone installed, or even seen in-person, the way more expensive Gatorback heavy duty splash guards? They “appear” to be more-flexible than the less-expensive splash guards.
I was wondering the same thing. I am shying away from the cheaper one because they appear to be hard plastic that would just snap off if caught on something

Rank V

Mar 31, 2021

yeah... seems like many pros and cons

Rank V

Mar 31, 2021

I've gotten them to protect the side and back and normally drive on pavement, but depends on where you take it.
do you already have your vehicle with them on it? Or is it still on order?
OBXBroncoGuy

Mar 31, 2021

do you already have your vehicle with them on it? Or is it still on order?
On order but was talking about past experiences. I'll be getting them on this one too since I wont be rock crawling/deep mud/snow
benjaminkrawiec