ARB Recovery Bag

BuzzyBud
Nov 09, 2020

Rank VI

Nov 09, 2020

As I “patiently” wait for the Bronco June/July delivery dates, I am preparing to hit the trails in Maine/New Hampshire next summer. Part of the preparation involves buying recovery gear.

Although many potential buyers may purchase their recovery gear from Ford Performance, I am going a different route. I will assemble each component individually and store them in my recovery bag. With that approach, my first purchase was a recovery bag. See the pics below.

Although my ARB Recovery Bag is brightly colored, that was by design. In my previous outdoor activities, it was not uncommon to accidentally leave gear behind. Especially if the gear is not brightly colored. It should be difficult to leave this orange bag behind!

The bag does appear to be well made and the removable interior sleeve can hold wet/muddy gear.

ARB Bag 1.jpg

ARB Bag 2.jpg
bdawson24, Bronc96
Last edited by a moderator: Nov 09, 2020

Rank VI

Nov 09, 2020

Nice. That will pair great with my ARB easy deflater... (y) (y) :alien: :alien:
2021 4 door Badlands Sasquatch, Rapid red. 2.7, high package. Reserved on 07-19-2020, ordered 01-20-2021, delivered 12-05-2021
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Nov 09, 2020

So what is your advice to novice off roaders like myself for items to purchase? I like that bag, what equipment would you recommend? I think for now, i'm planning on purchasing the winch as part of my build.

Rank VI

Nov 09, 2020

My opinion only depending on how rough the trails are your going on...
1. Snatchblock
2. Tree saver strap
3. Shackles.
4. gloves (impact gloves preferably)
5. Small shovel, saw(folding)
6. Winch cable repar kit (cable clamps.)
Just to start.
2021 4 door Badlands Sasquatch, Rapid red. 2.7, high package. Reserved on 07-19-2020, ordered 01-20-2021, delivered 12-05-2021
Bronc96, TXBronco

Rank VI

Nov 09, 2020

Bronc96, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Nov 09, 2020

My opinion only depending on how rough the trails are your going on...
1. Snatchblock
2. Tree saver strap
3. Shackles.
4. gloves (impact gloves preferably)
5. Small shovel, saw(folding)
6. Winch cable repar kit (cable clamps.)
Just to start.
This is awesome. I appreciate it!
bdawson24, Slownstddy

Rank VI

Nov 09, 2020

So what is your advice to novice off roaders like myself for items to purchase? I like that bag, what equipment would you recommend? I think for now, i'm planning on purchasing the winch as part of my build.

When it comes to off-road skills, I am a newbie. Please keep that is mind regarding my planning.
I am guided by two objectives.
  • Enroll in an off-road skills class to gain a working knowledge using my own vehicle and gear.
  • Spend the first-year off-roading in New Hampshire and Maine where we have an abundance of trees, rocks, mud, snow, and ice.
The school I will be using will open enrollment on January 1, 2021 at 12:00Noon. If all goes well, the classes will take place in Sept/Oct. They have a specific list of mandatory gear. The list includes:
  • A GMRS radio, external antenna, and GMRS license.
  • A well maintained 4X4 vehicle with at least 8” of ground clearance.
  • Tires that are at least 31” tall with AT or MT tread and a full-size spare in good condition.
  • At least 1 front and 1 rear recovery points. A Class III+ hitch may use a shackle adaptor.
  • Recovery gear must include at a minimum, 2 shackles (soft or solid), 1 tree saver or strap for a minimum of 2X vehicle weight, a pair of work gloves.
  • Basic tools including a tire plug kit.
  • First aid kit.
  • Fire extinguisher easily accessible (ABC preferred) 2.5lbs minimum.
  • A DeLorme (Garmin) paperback Gazeteer for NH/VT and ME.
For me, gear simply looks nice if I do not know how to use it. As a newbie, I will need to practice gaining the knowledge I seek. The risk a newbie can encounter is learning the wrong way and the time and effort it takes to unlearn a poor approach. In addition, when you possess the gear, others will assume you know how to use the equipment.

Hope this is helpful.
JoePostman, Bronc96

Rank VI

Nov 09, 2020

When it comes to off-road skills, I am a newbie. Please keep that is mind regarding my planning.
I am guided by two objectives.
  • Enroll in an off-road skills class to gain a working knowledge using my own vehicle and gear.
  • Spend the first-year off-roading in New Hampshire and Maine where we have an abundance of trees, rocks, mud, snow, and ice.
The school I will be using will open enrollment on January 1, 2021 at 12:00Noon. If all goes well, the classes will take place in Sept/Oct. They have a specific list of mandatory gear. The list includes:
  • A GMRS radio, external antenna, and GMRS license.
  • A well maintained 4X4 vehicle with at least 8” of ground clearance.
  • Tires that are at least 31” tall with AT or MT tread and a full-size spare in good condition.
  • At least 1 front and 1 rear recovery points. A Class III+ hitch may use a shackle adaptor.
  • Recovery gear must include at a minimum, 2 shackles (soft or solid), 1 tree saver or strap for a minimum of 2X vehicle weight, a pair of work gloves.
  • Basic tools including a tire plug kit.
  • First aid kit.
  • Fire extinguisher easily accessible (ABC preferred) 2.5lbs minimum.
  • A DeLorme (Garmin) paperback Gazeteer for NH/VT and ME.
For me, gear simply looks nice if I do not know how to use it. As a newbie, I will need to practice gaining the knowledge I seek. The risk a newbie can encounter is learning the wrong way and the time and effort it takes to unlearn a poor approach. In addition, when you possess the gear, others will assume you know how to use the equipment.

Hope this is helpful.
This is totally helpful, as I'm in the same boat.. (so to speak). I am also interested in an off-road skills class.

I'm also in the NE area and that's my plan as well. There are not too many off roading places here in MA, but I was just up in NH and I can't wait to bring the Bronco up here and start doing some small trips to get started. (I dont plan on driving out to MOAB until i have a few trips under my belt locally)

This is all extremely helpful!! Thanks for posting - Jeff

Rank VI

Nov 09, 2020

Jeff, I am glad it was helpful. I live in Atkinson, NH, and spend most weekends camping in the Waterville, Maine area year-round. I have located three possible off-road schools that may work. My first choice is the Northeast Adventure Company. The Overland Experts have classes in Connecticut. The Northeast Off-Road Adventures have classes in upstate NY. See the links below.

https://www.northeastadventurecompany.com/
https://overlandexperts.com/?v=893f26889d1e
https://www.nyoffroaddriving.com/
It is never wise to go off-roading alone, especially as a newbie. I hope our schedules and planning intersect.

Warren (aka Buzzy. My dog is named Buddy. Resulting in BuzzyBud)
Bronc96, Slownstddy

Rank VI

Nov 09, 2020

Among those already mentioned:
50-ft recovery strap
Hi-lift jack - very handy but very dangerous if you are unaware of the hazards of them.
A couple ratchet straps. Good for setting tire back on beads and holding various things on..
Basic tool set for things on the rig

I used to bring some pneumatic tools with me when I had an FSB as I had a really good OBA set up. These days, cordless impacts are a great tool to have.
Slownstddy, jlaliberty

Rank VI

Nov 09, 2020

Also, go buy a treated 2x6 from your local lumber supply. Cut it into 12” lengths and keep a couple in the rig. They work great for jack bases in soft terrain and other random things on the trails (like putting between steel and a hammer to keep from denting stuff)
Deano Bronc, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Nov 09, 2020

Jeff, I am glad it was helpful. I live in Atkinson, NH, and spend most weekends camping in the Waterville, Maine area year-round. I have located three possible off-road schools that may work. My first choice is the Northeast Adventure Company. The Overland Experts have classes in Connecticut. The Northeast Off-Road Adventures have classes in upstate NY. See the links below.

https://www.northeastadventurecompany.com/
https://overlandexperts.com/?v=893f26889d1e
https://www.nyoffroaddriving.com/
It is never wise to go off-roading alone, especially as a newbie. I hope our schedules and planning intersect.

Warren (aka Buzzy. My dog is named Buddy. Resulting in BuzzyBud)
Oh sweet! This is great! My hope is to start a round up out here.. I"m not too far from Atkinson.. actually have family living there. I was up in North Conway hiking and just kept thinking to myself, the bronco would eat this trail up..lol
Slownstddy, BuzzyBud

Rank V

Nov 09, 2020

For the folks who don’t plan on buying a winch, get a good kinetic rope.
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 4 Door. Delivered on 10/1/2021
Jakob1972, jlaliberty

Rank VI

Nov 10, 2020

For the folks who don’t plan on buying a winch, get a good kinetic rope.
now that you mentioned winch, someone else called out that Ford is offering the Warn Zeon 10 with galvanized wire rope. I also am aware there is great debate over wire vs syntetic. Can the rope/wire be replaced easily post purchase if that is what I would want to do?

Rank VI

Nov 10, 2020

Contents for the recovery bag arriving daily. Got Shackles?

Shackles.jpg
PC Austin, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Nov 10, 2020

Deano Bronc, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Nov 10, 2020

i got these with this kit. Im looking into this brand for more gear.
BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Nov 10, 2020

now that you mentioned winch, someone else called out that Ford is offering the Warn Zeon 10 with galvanized wire rope. I also am aware there is great debate over wire vs syntetic. Can the rope/wire be replaced easily post purchase if that is what I would want to do?
I found my answer.. (thanks google and youtube). You can swap these out but i would probably not do that until one of these has some wear and tear.
PC Austin, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Nov 10, 2020

BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Nov 10, 2020

A good set of recovery boards or tracks can be very helpful, especially in sand or mud. Even a piece of old carpet or plywood is good to have at a minimum.
1605029970363.png
I don't want to sound too much like my Dad, however Buzzy brings a good point...training is key with some of these tools as can be very dangerous. Ford is making it easy to add some of these great items to our rigs, however safe use is critical. If anyone is considering a winch for the first time then I highly recommend training similar to what Buzzy mentioned or at least some very thorough research on safe usage. :)
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
JoePostman, Jakob1972