Any concerns on the manual trans holding up?

Bronc96
Sep 15, 2020

Rank VI

Sep 15, 2020

Sorry if this has been discussed in another post, but was wondering if anyone had concerns on the manual trans reliability knowing it likely will be built in China? I was really excited about the possibility of having another manual trans 4x4, however this concerns me. Not sure why Ford went this route when we have some great USA potential options.:unsure:
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2020

Official unofficial BN Photographer

Sep 15, 2020

this is why new cars come with a warranty.
Reservation: 7/20/20 | MY '21 order: 2/1/21 | MY '22 order: 10/22/21 | Blend 8/5, built 8/8, 'built' status 8/27, in my driveway 10/12/22
Auto Photographer in Sacramento CA:
www.instagram.com/photographybymarkbrooks
shoelessjoe444

Rank 0

Sep 15, 2020

this is why new cars come with a warranty.
How does a warranty help when you're off road and now stuck?
The least you could expect with a transmission on the bronco is for it to be reliable enough.
However it is concerning and will for sure be something to watch the first year or two for initial (not medium or long term) reliablility.
Bronc96

Rank VI

Sep 16, 2020

Geopolitics aside, I don't really understand your concern. Made/Manufactured in China does not mean poor quality. Are terrible quality goods manufactured in China? Without question. However, some of the most complicated and sophisticated products in the world are also made in China. I would hope that Ford's quality control people are just as vigorous on parts manufactured anywhere in the world.

Maybe somebody else with far more knowledge than I can chime in, but is catastrophic transmission failure a common cause of being stranded offroad? I had a '97 Ford Mustang GT with a manual transmission, and the only issues I had with it was a bad bearing (covered by warranty at ~12K miles) and a new clutch at about 95K miles. Granted I didn't do any offroading in that car other than some ill-advised trips through snowy mountain passes, but modern drive trains tend to be pretty rock solid and don't just have catastrophic failure out of the blue.
‘22, 4 door Badlands, 2.3l, MT, MIC top, lux, Sasquatch, tow. Velocity Blue.
Build Complete --> 5/5/2022. Delivered 5/25/2022.
Bronco Nation #1115
Silver-Bolt, pilonfx

Gladesmen

Sep 16, 2020

Geopolitics aside, I don't really understand your concern. Made/Manufactured in China does not mean poor quality. Are terrible quality goods manufactured in China? Without question. However, some of the most complicated and sophisticated products in the world are also made in China. I would hope that Ford's quality control people are just as vigorous on parts manufactured anywhere in the world.

Maybe somebody else with far more knowledge than I can chime in, but is catastrophic transmission failure a common cause of being stranded offroad? I had a '97 Ford Mustang GT with a manual transmission, and the only issues I had with it was a bad bearing (covered by warranty at ~12K miles) and a new clutch at about 95K miles. Granted I didn't do any offroading in that car other than some ill-advised trips through snowy mountain passes, but modern drive trains tend to be pretty rock solid and don't just have catastrophic failure out of the blue.
The new Trans is a Getrag and is supposed to be all new. And yes the mustang has been plagued with shift issues in the past. This new design is supposed to fix that. My only hope is that the test mules that have the 7 speed were really worked over and have been dialed in. Only time will tell. This new transmission is supposed to be good for up to 490 ft/lbs of torque so the 2.3 shouldn’t stress it too much.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery

Rank III

Sep 16, 2020

If you have to ask about manual durability you should go auto. A 100k clutch replacement is considered a long run, automatics commonly do 200k-300k.
Those who must have a manual will not be dissuaded.
Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Sep 16, 2020

He's probably referring to the poor reliability of the MT-82, which was made in China.

The new Getrag should be much better.
Raptor w/ lux package, orange belts. Code Orange.
BN #306

Gladesmen

Sep 16, 2020

If you have to ask about manual durability you should go auto. A 100k clutch replacement is considered a long run, automatics commonly do 200k-300k.
Those who must have a manual will not be dissuaded.
I have a 5 speed in a 2008 that has 356772 miles on it. Original everything I have ever touched the transmission ever.
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
Roberto, Thane

Rank VI

Sep 16, 2020

Been rocking the Mazda M5OD-R2 in my 1996 Bronco for 25 years... and no complaints. I owned a 1993 Ford Explorer with a M5OD-R1 and drove that thing across the country a few times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_M5OD_transmission
probably the best Small block manual you can pick up would be a ZF transmission from Germany.... and it is a direct swap replacement of the M5OD-R2... hell you can even use the same drive shafts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ZF_transmissions
Not sure why would even go down the road of reliability and manual transmissions??? That is biggest selling point on getting a stick. Heat kills.... and a slush box automatic produces loads more heat than any manual.

You really want something to worry about.... try researching the Ford DCT transmission produced by the Ford motor company... before you go down the rabbit hole of a imported manual... you just might want an imported manual after reading.

transmission.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_PowerShift_transmission

Ford has faced class-action lawsuits and fraud investigations in the United States,[7] Australia[8] and Canada[9] over the PowerShift gearbox as being defective and potentially dangerous in the Ford Focus, Ford Fiesta and Ford EcoSport. The lawsuits allege that vehicles equipped with the PowerShift gearbox "continue to experience the transmission defect, including, but not limited to, bucking, kicking, jerking, harsh engagement, and delayed acceleration and lurching." U.S. courts tentatively approved a settlement of the U.S. lawsuit on April 25, 2017.[10]

Ford has claimed that the defects were caused by either a faulty throwout bearing or input shaft and rear main seals that leak fluid onto the clutch causing it to slip. Ford has released fixes of the seals and updated clutch kits, but transmissions that have been repaired are still having repeated issues.[citation needed] There were also issues with the transmission control module such as faulty connector pins, shifter motors failing, and a poorly connected main ground wire due to paint on threads or an incorrect bolt being used during assembly. These transmissions were still installed into Focus and Fiesta until Ford ceased production of them.

However, subsequent journalistic investigations conducted after the Focus and Fiesta models were discontinued has revealed that Ford engineers and executives were aware of the problems before and after the release of it, with developmental engineers even stating in company e-mails that there was "no driveable calibration" of the transmission, and with pre-production test engineers having to pull over out of traffic due to the transmission shifting into neutral. However, Ford has repeatedly denied systematic problems even to their own dealerships, instead directing them to replace the transmission over and over even though it was never truly fixed

Rank III

Sep 16, 2020

... will not be dissuaded...

Rank VI

Sep 16, 2020

I have a 5 speed in a 2008 that has 356772 miles on it. Original everything I have ever touched the transmission ever.
Manual Transmission? 356K without replacing the clutch? wow!
‘22, 4 door Badlands, 2.3l, MT, MIC top, lux, Sasquatch, tow. Velocity Blue.
Build Complete --> 5/5/2022. Delivered 5/25/2022.
Bronco Nation #1115
Thane

Rank IV

Sep 16, 2020

The new Trans is a Getrag and is supposed to be all new. And yes the mustang has been plagued with shift issues in the past. This new design is supposed to fix that. My only hope is that the test mules that have the 7 speed were really worked over and have been dialed in. Only time will tell. This new transmission is supposed to be good for up to 490 ft/lbs of torque so the 2.3 shouldn’t stress it too much.
This is why when I was thinking of getting a Mustang back in 2016 I ended up buying a car that came with Tremac 6060 instead of buying a Mustang only to toss the Getrag for a Tremac 6060 which was pricey at the time.
2019 Ford F-150 Raptor
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands (reserved, ordered with note for My22)

Gladesmen

Sep 16, 2020

Manual Transmission? 356K without replacing the clutch? wow!
Yep. The only motor related thing I have replaced was the alternator and belt at 349700 miles. It has the original spark plugs and fluids. Except oil I change that twice a year if it needs it or not.
Deano Bronc

Gladesmen

Sep 16, 2020

This is why when I was thinking of getting a Mustang back in 2016 I ended up buying a car that came with Tremac 6060 instead of buying a Mustang only to toss the Getrag for a Tremac 6060 which was pricey at the time.
I would take a Tremac over a Getrag any day. But I am willing to give them a chance since my options are limited. Although this hi mileage trans is a Getrag F23

Rank V

Sep 17, 2020

I'm sorry but I don't trust the Red Chinese Communist party for nuthing! I hate most of their garbage they produce. So if the tranny is made in China....it's history for me. Sorry, just me.....yes and unfortunately this country has moved most all it's industrial strength to Red China, why? Your friendly snakes that are politicians is why. There was absolutely NO reason to do that. None! But lies overcome reason, in the majority of cases in life. The Chinese didn't have toilet paper in the '90's!!!! That is the truth. The western world GAVE everything to China on a silver platter, and they give the world Corona Virus. Facts. It's not the Chinese people, it's the government. Sorry for the rant. Just me growing up in a industrial city and watched it die..... it's hard to get over. So I buy Chinese stuff when there isn't an option, but if there is .......I run from it as fast as I can.
Baja on! As Ford Spanked the competition in 1969, in the Baja 1000, NO OTHER AUTOMAKER HAS, replicated in 50 plus years

Rank VI

Sep 17, 2020

Thanks all, many good points! I agree reliability can be an issue no matter where produced. I had an 87 full size with the Borg Warner T-18 and really miss having a manual shift 4x4, that thing was tough! I will likely still sway toward giving the Getrag a chance, however just a little disappointed we don't produce this stuff in the good old USA like we used to. :)
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
Blas L Armas, SaddleUpWild

Rank IV

Sep 20, 2020

Saw something says 2 issues with 2.7 and manual:

1. Alignment (they won' t fit together in bronco atm)
2. Gears are not strong enough for 2.7

The 2nd one would scare me away from manual.
2019 Ford F-150 Raptor
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands (reserved, ordered with note for My22)

Rank VI

Sep 20, 2020

That was my worry, hopefully durability testing goes well. If not, guess I will be unfortunately going auto.