An Update on Flat Towing a Bronco

David
Jan 07, 2021

Rank VI

Jan 07, 2021

Spoiler:Spoiler content hidden.

https://community.thebronconation.com/2021-bronco-flat-tow-capable/
Flat towing is when you tow a vehicle that has all four of its wheels on the ground. For many that spend their time on the road in RVs and want to bring alternative transportation with them on their adventures, flat towing is vital. Also, if your vehicle is being recovered from a mishap, flat towing might be the best option for getting the vehicle to where it can be repaired.

Confirmed to Bronco Nation back in July, all 2021 Ford Bronco models will be flat towing capable, regardless of which available transfer case is equipped. Both the standard 4×4 and Advanced 4×4 transfer cases can be towed with all four wheels on the ground. The capability is noted in the Bronco build and price tool under the details for both the 4×4 systems and Bronco Nation has confirmed with Ford that this is correct.

Looking at the current Ranger owner’s manual can give us some clues for what will be required for Broncos to be towed in this configuration. A combination of selecting a setting on the Bronco’s informational display, selecting 2H on the GOAT dial, and shifting the transmission into neutral will probably be required to flat tow the Bronco without damaging the transfer case. Also, typical tips and tricks with flat towing will probably apply. Make sure that you set your climate control system to a recirculating air mode to keep the exhaust fumes out. Happy towing!
Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
Ditchrunner, AD BRONCO

Rank VI

Jan 08, 2021

lol
Build week of 7/26....still....no its 8/16 now

Rank VI

Jan 08, 2021

Thread updated with post.
AD BRONCO

Rank III

Jan 08, 2021

Any verification preferred tow points? I assume the areas I circled on the attached will work for the modular bumper, but I've seen tow loops lower on the frame on other trims. I also assume we'll have to buy after-market adapters to hook up to these.

ford-bronco-black-diamond-profile-header (1)_LI.jpg
DRWright, Bronc96

Rank VI

Jan 08, 2021

Any verification preferred tow points? I assume the areas I circled on the attached will work for the modular bumper, but I've seen tow loops lower on the frame on other trims. I also assume we'll have to buy after-market adapters to hook up to these.

View attachment 7118
Those are the recommended tow points.
AD BRONCO, pilonfx

Rank 0

Jan 15, 2021

Does anyone know if a company that is planning on making base plates to connect a towbar or is this likely a custom job? Thanks
DRWright

Rank V

Mar 16, 2021

Blue Ox is waiting to get there hands on a new Bronco to build a base plate.
I'm hoping we can connect to the d-ring brackets.
Blue Ox makes adapters but they only have a 1" opening, looking a the Bronco they look wider.
I pull our Jeep with the D-ring brackets now, makes for quick and neat hoop up.
Looking for spec's on the brackets.
DRWright

No Ragerts

Mar 16, 2021

- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
AD BRONCO, Slownstddy

Rank IV

Mar 16, 2021

Wow! We flat tow a 5-speed 2wd Jeep Patriot. I've always been worried about accidentally leaving it in gear. Now I know what would happen.
2017 Nissan Titan XD 4x4
2021 Ford Bronco Big Bend 4dr, cactus gray, soft top, 4.27 rear end
June 7--no wait, June 28 build date
AD BRONCO, DRWright

Rank VI

Mar 16, 2021

Wow! We flat tow a 5-speed 2wd Jeep Patriot. I've always been worried about accidentally leaving it in gear. Now I know what would happen.
Can you imagine the sound that engine / transmission made before it blew up?
Whineeeeeeeeeeee!
AD BRONCO, DRWright

Rank VI

Mar 16, 2021

50,000 RPM *low whistle*
kwerking, AD BRONCO

Rank IV

Mar 16, 2021

Can you imagine the sound that engine / transmission made before it blew up?
Whineeeeeeeeeeee!

I could see me leaning over to my wife: "Honey, the RV doesn't seem to have the same zip as it usually does. I wonder what's wrong..."
2017 Nissan Titan XD 4x4
AD BRONCO, Slownstddy

Rank VI

Mar 16, 2021

Is there a Neutral setting for the transfer case on the Bronco? The manual for my J**p specifies that the Transfer Case must be in neutral for Flat Towing as behind a Motor Home. This avoids spinning the transmission gears.

Rank IV

Mar 16, 2021

Is there a Neutral setting for the transfer case on the Bronco? The manual for my J**p specifies that the Transfer Case must be in neutral for Flat Towing as behind a Motor Home. This avoids spinning the transmission gears.

I initially thought this was an easy question to answer...of course the transfer case will be in neutral. But after rereading the original post, I'm not so sure. It says 2h and the transmission in neutral. That's odd.
2017 Nissan Titan XD 4x4
DRWright

Rank VI

Mar 16, 2021

So the rear diff spins, but it's disconnected at the t-case. Your differential, rear shaft is kind of free-spooling.

ETA: probably similar to the Ranger:

Recreational Towing
Note: Put your climate control system in recirculated air mode to prevent exhaust fumes from entering your vehicle.
Follow these guidelines if you have a need for recreational towing, such as towing your vehicle behind a motorhome. These guidelines are designed to prevent damage to your transmission.
You can put your vehicle in neutral tow for recreational towing by placing the transfer case in its neutral position and engaging the four-wheel-down towing feature. Perform the steps in the following section after positioning your vehicle behind the tow vehicle and properly securing them together.
Note: Make sure you properly secure your vehicle to the tow vehicle.
  1. Put the ignition in the on position, but do not start the engine. If your vehicle has an ignition key, turn the key to the on position. If your vehicle has intelligent access, press the engine START/STOP button once without pressing the brake pedal.
  1. Press and hold the brake pedal.
  1. Rotate the four-wheel drive switch to 2H.
  1. Shift the transmission to neutral (N).
  1. Enable Neutral Tow by selecting Settings in the information display menu.
  1. Then select Vehicle.
  1. Then select Neutral Tow and follow the instructions on screen.
  2. Leave the transmission in neutral (N) and turn the ignition key as far as it can go towards the off position. It does not turn fully off when the transmission is in neutral (N). If your vehicle has an ignition key, you must leave the key in the ignition when towing. To lock and unlock your vehicle, use the keyless entry keypad or an extra set of keys. If your vehicle has intelligent access, press the engine START/STOP button once without pressing the brake pedal. You do not need to leave your keys in the vehicle. You can lock and unlock your vehicle as you normally do.
  3. Release the brake pedal.
2022 Jeep JLR, manual with even more extra guacamole
Sold - 2021 Jeep JLR, manual w/extra guacamole
D190065, Gutter Clown

Rank VI

Mar 17, 2021

Yes, I used to tow my Rubicon behind my motorhome, but I would not look to Jeep for how to flat tow the new Bronco. The Ranger, Raptor and now the Bronco have specific instructions (as posted by AcesandEights) on how to engage flat tow mode - this likely does place the TC in neutral. It just can't be done manually like can be done in a Jeep or earlier generations of Broncos.
2022 Bronco BadSquatch, 1974 Bronco Ranger, 1976 Bronco Crawler, 1978 Bronco Custom
bdawson24, Gutter Clown

Rank 0

Jul 20, 2021

I got this reply from an SME at ford regarding using the D rings for flat towing:

My name is Scott, I am from Ford`s Customer Relationship Center (CRC). I have reviewed your email inquiring about the D-Rings on the modular Bronco.

According to our SME, we do not have the dimensions of the front D-Rings. There is also no available documentation that we know of that states they should or can be used for recreational towing of the vehicle. The rings themselves are meant for vehicle recovery, not towing.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Sincerely,

Scott

Customer Relationship Center

Ford Motor Company

Hope this helps someone else.

I also was told by roadmaster that they are currently seeking a bronco to use for testing....I can only assume that means they are going to have a product at some point.
Sdakotabronco, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Jul 25, 2021

One issue I see is we have Apples, Oranges and few grapefruits that we are trying to put in one basket.
1) The standard plastic bumper as D rings type loops mounted to the bottom of the frame in front and rear. Referred to in the manual as recovery hooks.
2) Then there was the Capable Front Bumper with the actual D-rings attached. This is the one pictured in the owner's manual followed with the do not use recovery hooks for recreationally towing your vehicle.
3) Heavy-Duty Modular Bumper with Tow Hook Brackets. These are made to hold a 3/4" threaded pin D-Ring shackle rated at 4.75 Tons. That 9,500# each.
4) And last but not least the Accessory winch has a different type of Tow Hook Brackets which also support the Winch.
With all that said the Modular Bumper does not have D-Rings it has brackets.
Below are a couple of pictures from the Owners Manual.

Front Recovery Hooks.jpgrecovery hooks text.jpg

Attachments

Slownstddy, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jul 25, 2021

Kind of makes you think we will need a trailer to tow our Broncos. At least that would save the tires a bit.
Slownstddy

Rank V

Jul 25, 2021

When and if We ever get ours (In Production 06/29) with the Molecular Bumper I,m going to pull with the
Tow Brackets. What drawings I have been able to find it looks they look fairly substantial and they are bolted to brackets
that are welded to the frame.
An another gentlemen I'm conversing with as ready got the BlueOx adapters and getting ready to have them machined to fit
the Tow Brackets.
DRWright