Bronco Nation Member #144
David in the Bronco Nation Forums
BroncoTroubadour on Instagram
rk105rider, Cooppierce
Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2021

Rank VI

Feb 15, 2021

Return to Bronco Knoll
On the fifth of February, three Broncos set out from Hammertown in Johnson Valley, California. In the lead, a ‘91 XLT carrying me and two other Bronco Nation members wound through the crazy King of the Hammers traffic to get out of the valley and onto Old Woman Springs Road. We had to keep our speed around 45-50 mph since the ’72 Bronco following us was a bit unstable at higher speeds. We had done our preliminary checks on the vehicles prior to rolling out, but I was still nervous about the ’72 making it to our final destination, a hilltop about 10 miles from Hammertown, as the drone flies. Our route would be closer to 30 miles since we had to avoid the race loop for King of the Hammers.

About ten minutes down the road, the third Bronco, a 2021 Area 51 First Edition 2-Door blew by us and passed out of sight within a minute or two. The driver, Vaughn Gittin Jr, knew the route we planned to take and apparently didn’t feel like being third in line. Understandable for a racer that ended up in the top ten in the King of the Hammers race the next day. For now, he seemed to be doing just fine without a V8. In fairness, he had Loren Healy, 2-time King of the Hammers champ, as well as the Ford Bronco Brand Manager and consummate gear head, Esteban Plaza-Jennings in the Bronco with him. Both of whom probably had some other things to do that day.

Once we left the pavement, we met Vaughn waiting at a crossroads. Our caravan of three turned onto a broad, graded dirt road and then onto a bumpier desert trail that threw the ’91 around a bit. Bronco follower and photographer Cooper Pierce, who was riding in the back seat of the ’91, radioed back to the ’72 to see how they were doing. Mike Clouds, president of the Lonestar Early Bronco Club, and thus affectionately known around the Bronco side of Hammertown as Texas Mike, radioed back that she was doing just fine. I was glad to hear it, but the tougher part of the trail was still to come. Mike’s passenger, Jake Gertsch of MontanaBroncos on Instagram, cracked a joke about the ’72 having a better chance of getting where we were going than the ’91. At the helm of the XLT, the trail boss for our expedition, Blake Torgersen, aka Bronco Nation forum moderator Torgsurv, just smiled, refusing to be baited by the light ribbing of his Bronco.

The end goal of our trail ride requires some explanation for the uninitiated. But avid followers of Bronco Nation (and those who read the title of this article) will have already guessed where we were headed.

On January 1st 2021, Blake made the first recorded enthusiast ascent, in a Bronco, to a special hilltop in Johnson Valley. We wrote an article about his adventure, and he provided some additional background in a forum post that you can find here. Torgsurv named the spot “Bronco Knoll” in his posts, but what he did not know was that 2021 Bronco test units were already quite familiar with the trail. They had been running a loop, known as the “Mountain Loop” to the testing engineers, for quite a while. According to Vaughn and Loren who had worked directly with the engineering team as external testers for the Bronco, the team had fallen in love with the view from the top of the Mountain Loop and had taken to calling it “Bronco Vista”. The engineers enjoyed the spot so much that they stamped the coordinates in the trim of the sport tubes of the Bronco. Utah.Bronco photographed the coordinates at an event in Arizona in December and posted the picture to the Bronco Nation Forums. Blake, a surveyor by profession saw the post and decided to drive to the mysterious location.

With Blake’s permission, we at Bronco Nation wrote up the story on January 5th, including the name Blake had given the spot in his forum posts. He and I also started talking in a forum DM, and eventually Blake suggested that we commission a survey monument for the site, a monument that wouldn’t have any impact on the environment but would mark the spot with the name. This struck me as a great idea. It’s important for communities to have shared places and lore, and this seemed like a great way to memorialize a cool story while also providing a pilgrimage spot for the Nation. We agreed to move forward and Blake got the monument produced.

Fast forwarding to our trail ride, I hopped out of the truck as we got closer to the top of the hill. We were taking photos of the Broncos on the trail and I wanted to crest the hill on foot. Blake pulled to the top of the hill first and dismounted to see how the other Broncos were doing. To no one’s surprise, the 2021 Bronco First Edition was not challenged by the trail at all and more or less pranced up the last section. The ‘72, hubs locked, Texas Mike at the wheel, and shifted into 4-low, didn’t have much issue either.
After some initial enjoyment of the view, the small group of Bronco people huddled to talk about what we were going to film. Vaughn and Loren filmed a short intro giving the history of the place and then had Blake join them on camera to talk about his first trip to Bronco Knoll and about the survey monument. He did a great job, putting in a concise and articulate appeal to future visitors of the Knoll to leave as little trace as possible.

Then came the best part of the day. Blake brought out the monument. We first drove in a steel pipe, taking turns with the sledgehammer. The rest of us were put to shame by Loren, who has worked in oil fields professionally, in addition to conquering the Sledgehammer trail at King of the Hammers multiple times a year. After the steel pipe was driven in, we drove the internal barbs out of the pipe to lock it in place. Finally, we slammed the monument into the pipe with a neoprene hammer, a compression fit securing the brass plaque to the steel tube now anchored in the rocky top of Bronco Knoll. The plaque is engraved with the coordinates found on the sport tubes of the 2021 Bronco, the name “Bronco Knoll”, and “Bronco Nation 2021”.

With the monument installed, we lingered at the summit for another 45 min or so. Blake brought out some fancy surveying equipment to take a hyper-accurate reading of exactly where the monument is. Loren, Mike, and Jake discussed doing a trail ride to Bronco Knoll each year as part of the King of the Hammers festivities. Coop continued taking great pictures and Vaughn headed down the road with Esteban to film a Sittin’ with Gittin segment for his YouTube channel.

Finally, it was time to head back to Hammertown. The whole experience was a highlight of our time in Johnson Valley and of my time with the Bronco Nation. The cairn that Blake set up on his initial ascent is still there, and we each added a rock to the pile. Next year, we hope to head back to Bronco Knoll with as many members of the Nation as can make it. Those who haven’t been before can add their rock to the cairn, we’ll pick up any trash that’s been left on the summit and take in the Bronco Vista that we’ve earned together. We can’t wait.

NiceBronco, rk105rider

Rank VI

Feb 15, 2021

All photos from the article where taken by @Cooppierce. If you haven't already, follow him on IG. He's one of the best.
WeakNinja, rk105rider

Rank IV

Feb 15, 2021

That is awesome. Thank you for sharing with the community!
Cooppierce, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Feb 15, 2021

Good times! Thanks!
Badlands 2dr, Sas, 2.7, Lux, Erupt Grn, Res 8/27/20, MY21-1/29/21
MY22-10/21/21, Sch 8/22/22, Blt 8/29/22, Ship 9/1/22, Del 9/16/22
Cooppierce, Deano Bronc

No Ragerts

Feb 15, 2021

Amazing story and fantastic history made! Kudos to all involved.
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
Cooppierce, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Feb 15, 2021

Great ride and story Gentlemen. Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to placing a stone with everyone else.
Thank you @TorgSurv for the monument. It looks awsome and cant wait to see it.
2021 4 door Badlands Sasquatch, Rapid red. 2.7, high package. Reserved on 07-19-2020, ordered 01-20-2021, delivered 12-05-2021
Cooppierce, Hobgoblin

Rank VI

Feb 16, 2021

Very cool story Gents, thanks for sharing! Sounds like an epic and fun event! Hope to get out there someday myself! (y)
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
Cooppierce, Deano Bronc

Life is a Highway

Feb 16, 2021

Great article! Can’t wait to hit the road with the rest of the Nation
Cooppierce, Gutter Clown

Rank VI

Feb 16, 2021

Excellent story. Sounds like it was an epic ride. Congratulations to all of the first official Bronco Knoll Club Initiates.
Cooppierce, Gutter Clown

Gladesmen

Feb 16, 2021

Can’t wait to add a rock. And to leave the spot better than I found it. Let’s keep these trails clean.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
RedCo, Cooppierce

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Feb 16, 2021

Thanks @David for writing the story of this adventure! It was a great day, and I enjoyed every minute of it. I look forward to going back yet again. An annual ascent during KOH is a great idea!
PSUTE, Cooppierce

Trusted and Carefree

Feb 16, 2021

Awesome. Looking forward to taking the future rig there sometime in 22
2023 Wildtrak. "Sometimes you got to get lost, to get found" -J Bronco
TorgSurv, Cooppierce

Rank VI

Feb 16, 2021

Awesome. Looking forward to taking the future rig there sometime in 22
Here's the additional info that @TorgSurv posted on the route.

https://community.thebronconation.c...tion-travel-logs-bronco-knoll.2835/post-34825
Cooppierce, Bronc96

Rank V

Feb 16, 2021

Great article, David!
Cooppierce, Bronc96

Moab or bust!!!

Feb 16, 2021

Love the write up.
What an epic trip! You all made history and it should be a destination for Bronco enthusiasts for years to come.
Maybe once I'm retired, I'll be able to make a journey to the west coast and witness it for myself.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
TorgSurv, Hobgoblin

Rank V

Feb 17, 2021

All photos from the article where taken by @Cooppierce. If you haven't already, follow him on IG. He's one of the best.
Thanks bruh!!
BN #702
Utah.bronco on IG
TorgSurv, Jakob1972

Have Bronco Will Travel

Feb 19, 2021

Thanks for sharing. I’ll be there next year for sure.
From infinity and beyond
2023 Badlands 4dr / Sasquatch / High / 2.7 / MIC / Mod bumper / Trailer Tow / Eruption Green

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Dec 13, 2021

Resurrecting an old thread. Is that bad forum etiquette? Just wanted to post this link here for an update:
TK1215, SlashRacer

Home, home on the range

Dec 13, 2021

Resurrecting an old thread. Is that bad forum etiquette? Just wanted to post this link here for an update:
When does KOH run? Would love to be a part of the group going up to Bronco Knoll in 2022. I plan on bringing a piece of South Dakota to join the rock pile.
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 2dr 2.3L manual Hot Pepper Red. Reserved 8/7/20. Ordered 1/23/21. Reordered 10/08/21. Scheduled week of January 24th 2022, delivered 2/24/2022
TorgSurv