Airing Down and Beadlocks.

BuzzyBud
Sep 16, 2020

Rank VI

Sep 16, 2020

As you envision trail journeys, will you be airing down and using beadlocks? Different psi for rocks versus sand? Will your gear bag facilitate the process?

As I begin assembling the gear and knowledge to safely enjoy my off-road adventures, the video below was helpful.

SlashRacer, Ian Lacasse
Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2020
SandboxGeneral

Sep 16, 2020

Airing down? For sure. But I don't see myself airing down to the point of requiring beadlocks. I don't intend on doing any rock crawling or exceedingly crazy off roading where that would be necessary.
SlashRacer, Bronco V-8

Rank IV

Sep 16, 2020

I think also the rims are beadlock capable but the tires aren't mounted that way from the factory. You'd need to go to a tire place and have the tires pulled, ring removed, reinstalled and ring screwed down. I don't personally see myself running under 16psi ever so this is interesting but I doubt I'd need it.
SlashRacer, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Sep 16, 2020

Airing down? For sure. But I don't see myself airing down to the point of requiring beadlocks. I don't intend on doing any rock crawling or exceedingly crazy off roading where that would be necessary.

I agree, airing down “somewhat” makes sense to protect the tires and suspension. I do not expect to run on beadlocked wheels. Running beadlocked does require knowledge and skill. Unfortunately, some off- road drivers might not torque the beadlock bolts as needed and a road hazard can occur. Add in the point that most tire shops will not balance beadlocked tires, you have a real challenge for the novice off-road driver.
SlashRacer, Deano Bronc

Rank IV

Sep 16, 2020

I agree, airing down “somewhat” makes sense to protect the tires and suspension. I do not expect to run on beadlocked wheels. Running beadlocked does require knowledge and skill. Unfortunately, some off- road drivers might not torque the beadlock bolts as needed and a road hazard can occur. Add in the point that most tire shops will not balance beadlocked tires, you have a real challenge for the novice off-road driver.

To your point of balance, running 37's/38's for years I've always used balance beads...assume the same is possible in a beadlocked setup.
SlashRacer, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Sep 16, 2020

To your point of balance, running 37's/38's for years I've always used balance beads...assume the same is possible in a beadlocked setup.

I believe the beadlock capable wheels we buy with the Sasquatch package are DOT approved and will be balanced. Once you switch over to beadlock, I suspect they would no longer be DOT approved for highway use. In theory one could switch back and forth based upon your adventure plans. That might require a level of knowledge and skill beyond my pay grade.
SlashRacer, Deano Bronc

Rank IV

Sep 16, 2020

I believe the beadlock capable wheels we buy with the Sasquatch package are DOT approved and will be balanced. Once you switch over to beadlock, I suspect they would no longer be DOT approved for highway use. In theory one could switch back and forth based upon your adventure plans. That might require a level of knowledge and skill beyond my pay grade.

I've heard the same. I think unless you really would require it, dropping below 20psi probably suffices most and having a compressor on board...just fill them up when you hit the street :)
SlashRacer, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Sep 16, 2020

I've heard the same. I think unless you really would require it, dropping below 20psi probably suffices most and having a compressor on board...just fill them up when you hit the street :)

I agree! Perhaps the main point of buying the beadlock capable wheels is to obtain the "cool factor". That is fine! If you journey into beadlocking the wheels, get yourself a really good torque wrench and air pressure gauge and understand the maintenance and risks involved.
SlashRacer, Sdge

Rank IV

Sep 16, 2020

I agree! Perhaps the main point of buying the beadlock capable wheels is to obtain the "cool factor". That is fine! If you journey into beadlocking the wheels, get yourself a really good torque wrench and air pressure gauge and understand the maintenance and risks involved.

So that is the nice part of the advanced pressure monitoring system on the Bronco, you'll see those PSIs. I do wonder though if the vehicle is 'smart' enough to know when you want to lower pressure so it doesn't trip a ton of warning lights/chimes.
SlashRacer, Ian Lacasse

Rank VI

Sep 16, 2020

So that is the nice part of the advanced pressure monitoring system on the Bronco, you'll see those PSIs. I do wonder though if the vehicle is 'smart' enough to know when you want to lower pressure so it doesn't trip a ton of warning lights/chimes.

My F150 utilizes an internal tire pressure monitoring system. I run a normal pressure of 35psi. I have never intentionally dropped the pressure to 25psi or less. I would guess the warning light on the dash should illuminate at lower pressure. Interesting point! Perhaps I will test that system soon.

I do utilize an external tire pressure monitoring system with alarms for temperature (to detect brake issues) and pressure for my dual axle travel trailer. Love that system!

I am in the habit of checking the tire pressures via the dash system each morning (Detected a nail in one tire before it became a serious issue.) and torqueing the lug nuts (Detected faulty tire mounting at a tire shop where they set their power wrench incorrectly and stripped all my lug nuts.) prior to any long journey. I guess I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy!
SlashRacer, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Sep 17, 2020

I've run 12 in the front and 8 in the rear on 36" swampers crawling for years without beadlocks. Rolled off one front tire a couple of years ago. Stickier the rock the less you'll have to air down as well. Slick. loose rocks in AR, MO, and TN will be way different than "sticky" rock in TX and at Moab.
2D BL, Sas, 2.7l, High, Silver 10:22pm 7/13/20 Res, 1/31 2/7 2/14 2/28 3/7 build dates
built 3/11/22, delivered 4/16/22
SlashRacer, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Sep 23, 2020

A lot depends on rim selection too with non-bead locks. This was on 10” rims and 15psi. Had to run 18 to keep them on the rim until I switched to 8.25” and could run down to 10psi with no issue. 01870FE9-BBFE-4A15-B222-A038BFEAC487.jpeg
SlashRacer, okie4570

Rank VI

Sep 23, 2020

A lot depends on rim selection too with non-bead locks. This was on 10” rims and 15psi. Had to run 18 to keep them on the rim until I switched to 8.25” and could run down to 10psi with no issue. View attachment 3662
i was assuming you would have to run tubes if you got down that low to keep from doing just that.
SlashRacer

Rank VI

Sep 23, 2020

i was assuming you would have to run tubes if you got down that low to keep from doing just that.

Nope. Still stayed tubeless. Running low pressures and tubes just leads to pinched tubes and flat tire.
SlashRacer, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Sep 23, 2020

Nope. Still stayed tubeless. Running low pressures and tubes just leads to pinched tubes and flat tire.

I found the attached YouTube video interesting for those who plan to air down to less than 10psi. Have you ever tried this approach? If so, does it work? Curious!

SlashRacer

Rank VI

Sep 23, 2020

I found the attached YouTube video interesting for those who plan to air down to less than 10psi. Have you ever tried this approach? If so, does it work? Curious!

Can’t say I’ve ever done that but for the 90% of the hobby wheelers, single beadlocks are sufficient. These are hardcore wheelers with purpose built buggies. I think I’ve seen a few people even weld a piece of rebar to the inner bead to help but again, I don’t think 90% of people even see that as an issue.

The duct tape just builds up the bead a bit more and puts some grip on the wheel and tire. Loosing one bead is not to hard to reseat. In the picture I posted, I was able to reseat all of those with the OBA I had without taking the rim off the Bronco.
SlashRacer, BuzzyBud

RedNexican X Apalacian American: Goofyness!

Sep 24, 2020

A lot depends on rim selection too with non-bead locks. This was on 10” rims and 15psi. Had to run 18 to keep them on the rim until I switched to 8.25” and could run down to 10psi with no issue. View attachment 3662

narrow rim + wide tires= poor mans beadlock.

L.R.
SlashRacer, Akfordfan

Rank IV

Sep 25, 2020

Most people will never need them, those that do need to go by the factory torque specs for the outer ring. I know several people who run them as well as myself. They help on heavily rutted trails when running low pressures. They are not necessary though.
SlashRacer, Deano Bronc