Bronco already broken- 2 weeks in Dealership Service shop and no ETA

Jolokaij
Oct 29, 2021

Rank III

Oct 29, 2021

Looking for guidance- I loved receiving and driving my new Bronco Outer Banks but a couple of thousand miles in, I started receiving numerous fault/warning lights popped up intermittently (Hill Start assist, Collision Warning, etc). On 15 October, I dropped off my Bronco at my dealer to have them look at it. They have had it for 2 weeks and have called in the experts to help diagnose. Unfortunately, I can not receive a consistent answer on the problem (they think it is a faulty module and may have to completely pull out the dash??) and no ETA on when I will receive it back.

I recognize a new model might have some bumps along the way but I am really disappointed that not only can I not drive my Bronco but my repeated calls to the dealer and Ford Corporate is met with a collective "it will be repaired by the warranty" what more do you want? The last call I had with Ford Corporate I expressed my concern about paying for a Bronco I can not drive and was literally quoted the Warranty regulation that Ford does not compensate for anything other than repairing the vehicle.

I have been a loyal Ford driver since I was 16. I, like many on this forum, was so excited about the Bronco. I am absolutely gutted that Ford does not seem to really be concerned with customer satisfaction.

I'm not crazy right? Two weeks to diagnose is unacceptable, right?
jd-ford-hd, Ditchrunner
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2021

Rank V

Oct 29, 2021

That is a long time for troubleshooting, but they probably haven't put that much time into it. Most shops are struggling to find workers as much as everywhere else, and most of the decent shops around me have at least a 2 week waiting list to even get in the door. You wouldn't believe the hell I went through earlier this year to get *simple* warranty repairs on my camper.

You are stuck in a very frustrating position, and I hope they are able to get your Bronco fixed and back to you very soon. Maybe a little help from @Ford Motor Company ?
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow
jd-ford-hd, Deano Bronc

Moab or bust!!!

Oct 29, 2021

Looking for guidance- I loved receiving and driving my new Bronco Outer Banks but a couple of thousand miles in, I started receiving numerous fault/warning lights popped up intermittently (Hill Start assist, Collision Warning, etc). On 15 October, I dropped off my Bronco at my dealer to have them look at it. They have had it for 2 weeks and have called in the experts to help diagnose. Unfortunately, I can not receive a consistent answer on the problem (they think it is a faulty module and may have to completely pull out the dash??) and no ETA on when I will receive it back.

I recognize a new model might have some bumps along the way but I am really disappointed that not only can I not drive my Bronco but my repeated calls to the dealer and Ford Corporate is met with a collective "it will be repaired by the warranty" what more do you want? The last call I had with Ford Corporate I expressed my concern about paying for a Bronco I can not drive and was literally quoted the Warranty regulation that Ford does not compensate for anything other than repairing the vehicle.

I have been a loyal Ford driver since I was 16. I, like many on this forum, was so excited about the Bronco. I am absolutely gutted that Ford does not seem to really be concerned with customer satisfaction.

Have they provided a loaner vehicle?
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.

Rank III

Oct 29, 2021

Thanks Kenny- good call on staff shortage!

Deano- they have provided a loaner (Escape). Certainly helps! Just wish I knew how long i would be out my Bronco and getting nervous because they said at one point they may have to completely pull out the dash... Just tough to wait all this time to get the vehicle and then lose it only to end up driving an Escape
BroncoNavy75, KennyMac

Moab or bust!!!

Oct 29, 2021

Deano- they have provided a loaner (Escape). Certainly helps! Just wish I knew how long i would be out my Bronco and getting nervous because they said at one point they may have to completely pull out the dash... Just tough to wait all this time to get the vehicle and then lose it only to end up driving an Escape
I totally understand the disappointment. It's not going to help your frustration but it seems like they are doing everything they can do to get it fixed. With a new vehicle, the techs don't have any past experiences to fall back on. Unfortunately, you are the guinea pig.
Hope they figure it out soon for you.
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
goatman, SlashRacer
OBXBroncoGuy

Oct 29, 2021

Yeah, sadly, Not sure what you can do, other than wait. Certain things have to happen before Lemon law applies, and with the shortage of worker…hope it is simple and able to be fixed soon! Let us know how it goes! Sure you wont be the last with this problem
Deano Bronc

Rank V

Oct 29, 2021

that sucks. Hopefully they get your bronco back to you soon.
Jolokaij

Rank VI

Oct 29, 2021

May be a little apples to grapes here but it sometimes happens with mass production. One of my coworkers bought her first new car a couple years ago, brand new camaro that she loves. Spent more time in the shop than in her hands the first six months while they chased gremlins. Ended up replacing several modules and pretty much the entire main wiring harness before they sorted it out. Hasn’t had a single problem since (other than a mild case of curb rash on one of the rims but that’s not a warranty issue) we all hope we will never get the bad apple but it happens. Try to have patience
22 Black Diamond 2dr non sas w tow and roof rails.
Jolokaij, SlashRacer

Rank IV

Oct 29, 2021

I am actually having the same issue but I still have my Bronco. I also have the Outerbanks. Took delivery the first week of July. Since then I have had 30 "Hillstart Assist Warnings", 5 "Antilock Brake Faults", 25 "Restraints Indicator Lamp Warning" and 5 "Pre-Collision Assist Not Available" error messages on both the dash and via the Ford App (which is how I counted them). I told my dealer and they said they would take a look at it during my first oil change next week (3K miles). My warnings started on Day 7 after delivery. They aren't nearly as often now. Maybe spaced out every 3-4 days and the only one as of late has been the Hillstart Assist Warning. The warning goes away after I start the vehicle. It hasn't impacted the drivability of my Bronco at all which is why I haven't rushed to take it in. Keep us posted on your progress and I'll let you know what I find out when I take mine in on November 8th. Best of luck!
OBX 4 Dr / Lux / Leather / Tow / Orange / Soft Top / 2.7L
Res: 7/15/20 - OD: 2/19/21 - IP: 6/23 - Built 6/27 - Rec 7/9
Jolokaij, SlashRacer

Gladesmen

Oct 29, 2021

These are extraordinary times a guy at work had his car in the shop for 5 weeks to get a battery covered under warranty. They did give him a loaner for that time.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
KennyMac

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Oct 29, 2021

I also waited 6 weeks to get a part for my 2020 Ranger due to it being on national backorder but it's certainly not just a Ford issue . A friend who owns a body shop told me he can't turn vehicles loose that are otherwise repaired due to not getting a $20 airbag sensor for the seats . My co-workers Honda has been at the transmission shop for 3 months now waiting on a part . My supervisors tractor has been waiting on parts for several weeks now .
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."

Rank V

Oct 29, 2021

I recently took my Sierra in to replace a plastic piece on the tailgate. The service manager was shocked to find it in stock in Florida, said she can't even get brake pads right now. And for those doing a DIY tow package on the Bronco and wanting trailer brakes, I recently went to O'Reilly's for a universal 7-pin trailer connector and they looked at me like I was crazy. They hadn't seen one of those in months, no clue if they ever would again. Crazy times...
7/14/20 Res, took delivery 4/7/22!!
A51 2 door Badlands, 2.7L, Sasquatch, Lux, MGV, MIC, Roof Rails, Tow

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Oct 29, 2021

Wow I don't feel bad about waiting.
AcesandEights

Rank V

Oct 30, 2021

My buddy got his badlands 2 weeks ago. While I was jealous and frustrated because we ordered ours at the same time....less than 1k in his front diff went out. Locked up and not drivable. Estimated repair time is 4 weeks. Happy to wait a bit longer on mine now.
KennyMac, Deano Bronc

Rank II

Oct 31, 2021

Several folks are having issues with the control module. Some of the suggested fixes include unplugging, applying dielectric grease, and reseating the plug located behind the glove box. I believe there's a TSB for it from not sure.
Jolokaij, KennyMac

Rank III

Nov 01, 2021

Thanks all, will be sure to keep all updated. Agree, the supply chain is crazy right now. [U]bbarnshaw[/U] agree it didn't really impact drivability and sorry to hear you are having a similar issue. da_jokker, good info!!
bbarnshaw, Deano Bronc

Rank IV

Nov 08, 2021

Thanks all, will be sure to keep all updated. Agree, the supply chain is crazy right now. [U]bbarnshaw[/U] agree it didn't really impact drivability and sorry to hear you are having a similar issue. da_jokker, good info!!
So took to the dealer this morning. Ironically after having 50 plus alerts, I haven't had one since Oct 22nd. They ran diagnostics for the better part of 2 hours. Didn't find anything wrong. Cleared out some codes and made sure the connection behind the glove box was secure. The longest I went prior to this without any error codes was maybe 3 days and I'm at 17 days now so perhaps it's no longer an issue. They said they were aware of this with some vehicles and to bring back if the error messages start up again.
OBX 4 Dr / Lux / Leather / Tow / Orange / Soft Top / 2.7L
Res: 7/15/20 - OD: 2/19/21 - IP: 6/23 - Built 6/27 - Rec 7/9
jd-ford-hd, KennyMac

Rank III

Nov 08, 2021

Great info. I spoke with the dealer today and they said I should have my bronco back this week. What was interesting is that they could replicate the issues 3ithrr but through the diagnostics found a module was bad. I will learn more this week. I'm just happy I might get my bronco back!! Of course, I still have to take it back to get the hardtop replaced....
KennyMac, Deano Bronc

Rank V

Nov 09, 2021

So took to the dealer this morning.……
They said they were aware of this with some vehicles and to bring back if the error messages start up again.
Thank you for letting everyone know your experience, just as you promised to do on 10/29/21.!!
F ederal O wnership R espectfully D eclined
Sparky 22

Rank V

Nov 09, 2021

So took to the dealer this morning. Ironically after having 50 plus alerts, I haven't had one since Oct 22nd. They ran diagnostics for the better part of 2 hours. Didn't find anything wrong. Cleared out some codes and made sure the connection behind the glove box was secure. The longest I went prior to this without any error codes was maybe 3 days and I'm at 17 days now so perhaps it's no longer an issue. They said they were aware of this with some vehicles and to bring back if the error messages start up again.

Interesting... this sounds like maybe you got an over-the-air update of some sort that might have worked out a few bugs in the code?

@Jolokaij -- generally I'd have said YES, two weeks is crazy. But as others have noted here, the supply chain issues are certainly a big deal right now. Especially if they need a new control module. BUT... I'll also second what @KennyMac said, relative to the dealership struggling to find workers. My dealership was recently down to TWO workers in the shop and I'm not sure one of them didn't just change oil. The service tech said they had a couple of people out due to COVID, one on vacation, and that he and the primary mechanic just couldn't keep up with the load.

I'd guess there's also a 'learning gap' with the Bronco. All at once, mechanics have been faced with MULTIPLE new vehicles from Ford... the Bronco, the Ranger, the Maverick, the Mustang Mach-E, and now the Lightning (though not sure anyone has seen one of those yet). That has to be killer for folks trying to diagnose and chase down gremlins you've never seen before!
Wildtrak ⁞ 4 DR ⁞ HOSS 3.0 ⁞ Area51 ⁞ Lux+Leather ⁞ Tow ⁞ MIC+Sunrider Top ⁞ Res 5/11/21, Rec'd 9/30/22
bbarnshaw, KennyMac