Trying out the 2.3 liter Ecoboost!?!

ZWSMITH
Aug 04, 2020

Rank VI

Aug 04, 2020

I was at the Ford/ Jeep dealership today getting a recall completed on the Cherokee trailhawk. I wore my Bronco Nation shirt there of course!;) Anway, while I was waiting I walked out in the lot to check out colors. Bumped into a salesman and started talking to him about the Bronco I have reserved. He was really intrigued about them himself. I went on to explain to him about how bummed I am that I can't get the 2.7 with the manual trans. He said can I help you with anything? I said yes since you can't help me with my issue on specs on the Bronco how about you let me test drive that Rapid red(my color of choice) Ranger over there.
That 2.3 liter blew me away with how it got up and went! It felt like twice the motor in displacement. I really believe now that the 2.3 with the manual or automatic will be a blast to drive in the Bronco. He didn't realize it but he did help me out tremendously on powertrain choice. Now I just need to test drive a Bronco with the manual in it!! Where are they Ford? Get them to the dealership ASAP for sit in's and test drives!! The 2.3 isn't pretty to look at under the hood but it really is an amazing little engine!!
4-DR Badlands MT MY23 Velocity Blue MIC Top High Trim beadlock rims KO2's Reservation 7/14/20 Ordered 10/03/22 Build Date 12/03/22 Arrived at Dealership 12/15/22 Home in garage 12/16/22
SaddleUpWild, BuzzyBud
Last edited by a moderator: Aug 04, 2020

Rank V

Aug 04, 2020

That's great to hear. Now we just need the Sasquatch/manual combo.
BroncoMax, nic

Rank II

Aug 04, 2020

I have a 2017 Mustang with the 2.3 and 6 speed...the engine pulls strong and is very tune-friendly if you want to up the ante on the HP department. It's just the lack of a formidable soundtrack that disappoints many here, but as others have mentioned before, the Bronco is intended to be an offroad monster, not a muscle car.
- 2021 Ford Bronco Big Bend - Iconic Silver or Cactus Grey or Area 51 - 7 Speed Manual - Sasquatch Package!? -
Deano Bronc, Commodore

Rank IV

Aug 05, 2020

I rented a Mustang when the 2.3L first came out and I blew me away. Felt stronger then my 1996 Camero V8 (probalby not but it shocked me) and got 31 mpg (best) but still.Of course the mustang is much lighter car then bronco but I think people will be surprised when/if they test drive them.
2019 Ford F-150 Raptor
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands (reserved, ordered with note for My22)
LoneRanger, ZWSMITH

Standing Grumpy Face

Aug 05, 2020

I was pretty impressed with the 2.3 when I test drove a Ranger when they first came out. But after owning a 2.7 I don't think I could settle for the 2.3. Most will be pretty happy with it though.
ZWSMITH, ericmario

Rank II

Aug 05, 2020

I was pretty impressed with the 2.3 when I test drove a Ranger when they first came out. But after owning a 2.7 I don't think I could settle for the 2.3. Most will be pretty happy with it though.

no doubt....i was really excited and had my mind set on the 2.7, but the dealbreaker for me is the lack of manual (I wouldn't even get the bronco if this wasn't offered), but the 2.7 is a sweet engine
- 2021 Ford Bronco Big Bend - Iconic Silver or Cactus Grey or Area 51 - 7 Speed Manual - Sasquatch Package!? -

Rank V

Aug 05, 2020

I was at the Ford/ Jeep dealership today getting a recall completed on the Cherokee trailhawk. I wore my Bronco Nation shirt there of course!;) Anway, while I was waiting I walked out in the lot to check out colors. Bumped into a salesman and started talking to him about the Bronco I have reserved. He was really intrigued about them himself. I went on to explain to him about how bummed I am that I can't get the 2.7 with the manual trans. He said can I help you with anything? I said yes since you can't help me with my issue on specs on the Bronco how about you let me test drive that Rapid red(my color of choice) Ranger over there.
That 2.3 liter blew me away with how it got up and went! It felt like twice the motor in displacement. I really believe now that the 2.3 with the manual or automatic will be a blast to drive in the Bronco. He didn't realize it but he did help me out tremendously on powertrain choice. Now I just need to test drive a Bronco with the manual in it!! Where are they Ford? Get them to the dealership ASAP for sit in's and test drives!! The 2.3 isn't pretty to look at under the hood but it really is an amazing little engine!!
“Bumped into” a salesman. Rather the sales man “bumped into” you lol
BroncoMax, Kipling79

Rank VI

Aug 05, 2020

Those turbos are zippy. I have a 2.0 in the '17 Escape and gets ~25mpg. So I imagine it'll be around there (mpgs)
Build week of 7/26....still....no its 8/16 now

Rank V

Aug 05, 2020

2 years ago at the Seattle Auto Show, my son and I test drove 3 trucks back to back. 2019 Ranger with the 2.3, the latest V6 Tacoma, and the diesel ZR2 Colorado. Each manufacturer had their own booth area but drove similar routes around CenturyLink Field. All the demo folks were encouraging to run each truck to see what they had. Hands down the EB 2.3 would run circles around the other two. With tentative spec of the Bronco's 2.3 same as the Ranger and a clutch pedal, this unit should scoot!
'06 Ranger FX4- headers, MBRP, tuner & Mickey Thompsons
'65 F100 with a crunchy 390 & a lot of good parts
ZWSMITH, pilonfx

Standing Grumpy Face

Aug 05, 2020

Those turbos are zippy. I have a 2.0 in the '17 Escape and gets ~25mpg. So I imagine it'll be around there (mpgs)

I got 22/26 with the 2.7 in an F-150.

Gotta remember the Bronco weighs more so mpg with the 2.3 will be lower. In the 2.7 it should be right there with the F-150. Maybe even a little better.
Bsooudi, pilonfx

Rank 0

Aug 06, 2020

Please Ford... make a V8 available as an option at some point in the near future. You're starting to use multi-displacement systems in some V8s like other manufacturers; that will keep the fuel efficiency reasonable. Any mechanic will tell you a normally-aspirated motor will last longer in the long run, and is simpler to work on.
BroncoMax

Rank VI

Aug 13, 2020

i HAD NEVER DRIVEN A 2.3 OR A 2.7. I want a manual, but I wanted to see how stout the 2.3 was and compared it to the 2.7. This is my opinion, the 2.3 was inadequate and the 2.7 was adequate. Take the 2.3 out on the highway, get it up to about 60 and accelerate. The engine strains and just squats. Not enough juice to get out of the way. The 2.7 is noticeably stronger. Like everyone else, I wish the 2.7 was offered in manual. BTW, the 2.3 was in a Ranger and the 2.7 was in a F150.

Rank VI

Aug 13, 2020

Did you happen to place the automatic transmission into "Sport" mode during your test drive of the Ranger? I assume the auto on the 2.3 has a Sport mode? I have a 3.5 EB in my F150. That is also a great engine, but it becomes a flying beast once you select Sport mode. For those who might be considering a 2.3 with auto (So you can get Trail Turn Assist!) go test drive a Ranger and select Sport mode if it is available.
Dubya TF, ZWSMITH

Rank 0

Aug 13, 2020

Big question: How expensive is that 2.7? Cuz let's be real... this Bronco is costly at even the base trims :/
pilonfx

Rank VI

Aug 13, 2020

Big question: How expensive is that 2.7? Cuz let's be real... this Bronco is costly at even the base trims :/
I suppose the decision of whether to keep the 2.3 or switch out to a 2.7 could be based on intended use.
Not sure if the 4 door when fully loaded with spouse, kids, dogs and gear would benefit from having the 2.7? I suspect it would. Of course you could go with the 2.3 and leave the spouse and kids behind. Just don't forget the dogs!
Roberto, Ernie's Rig

Rank VI

Aug 13, 2020

Did you happen to place the automatic transmission into "Sport" mode during your test drive of the Ranger? I assume the auto on the 2.3 has a Sport mode? I have a 3.5 EB in my F150. That is also a great engine, but it becomes a flying beast once you select Sport mode. For those who might be considering a 2.3 with auto (So you can get Trail Turn Assist!) go test drive a Ranger and select Sport mode if it is available.
I didn't select "sport" mode on it. That would've been a good idea. Missed an opportunity there. "Sport" mode makes a pretty big difference on my 4-cyl Cherokee as well. Based on some of the crawling videos from testing that I've been watching with the manual 2.3 badlands, i like what I see there. Doesn't appear very under powered at all.
4-DR Badlands MT MY23 Velocity Blue MIC Top High Trim beadlock rims KO2's Reservation 7/14/20 Ordered 10/03/22 Build Date 12/03/22 Arrived at Dealership 12/15/22 Home in garage 12/16/22
pilonfx, BuzzyBud

Rank IV

Aug 13, 2020

I have a 2017 Mustang with the 2.3 and 6 speed...the engine pulls strong and is very tune-friendly if you want to up the ante on the HP department. It's just the lack of a formidable soundtrack that disappoints many here, but as others have mentioned before, the Bronco is intended to be an offroad monster, not a muscle car.
That Stang with 2.3 sings pretty to my ear... that’s just me.... potatoes/ potawtaos

As for your soundtrack dilemma...try the soundtrack from 1986 Little Shop of Horrors Movie- greatest movie ever, right behind Mr. Tarantino’s Resevior Dogs, of course....
Here’s a little taste:
Hope this helps my friend; you are most certainly welcome- in advance
ericmario

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Aug 14, 2020

Please Ford... make a V8 available as an option at some point in the near future. You're starting to use multi-displacement systems in some V8s like other manufacturers; that will keep the fuel efficiency reasonable. Any mechanic will tell you a normally-aspirated motor will last longer in the long run, and is simpler to work on.
Not a fan of power adders myself. If Ford doesn't offer it I will drop a V-8 in mine when its off warranty. Could be a 5.0 Coyote, or Windsor 5.0 or 347 or Godzilla.