33 inch tires or 35 inch tires

gothavit
Aug 28, 2020

Rank II

Aug 28, 2020

this will be my first suv with that big of tire question badlands comes with 33 all terrain tires wild track come with 35 mud tires is there a differences in ride and noise between them
SaddleUpWild
Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2020

Rank V

Aug 28, 2020

this will be my first suv with that big of tire question badlands comes with 33 all terrain tires wild track come with 35 mud tires is there a differences in ride and noise between them
yes there is a difference. typically all terrain tires will produce less road noise than the "knobier" mud terrain tires due to the space between the rubber knobs for dirt and earth material to be moved by the tire. also many mud terrain tires are built with either stiffer sidewall material, more layers of the material. or even both. this will result in a much stiffer ride on the road. if you will only hit medium to heavy off road terrain occasionally and this is a big issue for you. you should err on the side of going with all terrain tires. otherwise it is recommended you have the mud tires for the extra traction, capability, and strength/endurance of the heavier tires. this also depends on the type of off road terrain you drive on. if its mostly dirt roads with only some light to a few medium sized rocks. youll handle just fine with all terrains. but the denser and bigger stuff will be handled better with the mud terrain tires.
Eric Johnson, SaddleUpWild

Rank IV

Aug 28, 2020

Depends on what you do. If you do Rubicon trail alot then 35's are kinda small. If you just out to adventer and do old roads etc. then 33's are fine."
2019 Ford F-150 Raptor
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands (reserved, ordered with note for My22)
SaddleUpWild, CamoflaugeMan

Rank II

Aug 28, 2020

Thank for all that love the look of the 35 but not sure what to give up quiet softer ride for looks specially for something ill only be doing once maybe twice a month
NC_Pinz

Aug 28, 2020

I don't think the M/T tire that Ford is saying will come with the Sasquatch package will be an actual mud terrain tire. It is a new Goodyear tire coming out with the Bronco that I suspect will be closer to the Duratrac than the MT/R tires Goodyear currently has. The term Mud Tire can be used a little loosely and has different meanings for those of use that have had actual mud tires. If it doesn't say Interco on the side or have a tractor type V-tread, its not a mud tire.

You won't go wrong with 33s. Personally, 35s are where I'm going for nothing more than I like the look and will be much happier with the purchase for the life of the vehicle.
Mal, Fstfrd00

Rank II

Aug 28, 2020

For me, I love the look of the 35's, but will be getting the 33's. I don't need such a large tire, and this will decrease fuel economy. With the type of offroading I will be doing (99% more than most other SUV owner) I am confident a good all terrain tire will be perfect. My expedition has 32's and this will be fine. I likely may get an Outer Banks which comes standard with 32's and when they need to be replaced get them in 33's to match that of the Badlands. Curious to see what other tire sizes fit the rims, and I am hoping the OB has the same width as the BL rim. Ideally I would also like a half inch wider tire in addition to one inch high (again hoping they can clear). Going to see what other Bronco owners do and likely follow suit.
SaddleUpWild, CamoflaugeMan

Rank V

Aug 28, 2020

Depends on what you do. If you do Rubicon trail alot then 35's are kinda small. If you just out to adventer and do old roads etc. then 33's are fine."
i would agree that regular trail driving on rubicon like trails a 35 would be atleast the bare minimum for many vehicles without getting hung up every 2 ft.
I don't think the M/T tire that Ford is saying will come with the Sasquatch package will be an actual mud terrain tire. It is a new Goodyear tire coming out with the Bronco that I suspect will be closer to the Duratrac than the MT/R tires Goodyear currently has. The term Mud Tire can be used a little loosely and has different meanings for those of use that have had actual mud tires. If it doesn't say Interco on the side or have a tractor type V-tread, its not a mud tire.

You won't go wrong with 33s. Personally, 35s are where I'm going for nothing more than I like the look and will be much happier with the purchase for the life of the vehicle.
i agree that the "mud" terrain tire they are providing from the factory is barely mud... more like a extra aggressive all terrain in my opinion. i would say that if there is not at least a 1 inch gap between the treads then its not really a MUD tire
Deano Bronc

Rank V

Aug 28, 2020

For me, I love the look of the 35's, but will be getting the 33's. I don't need such a large tire, and this will decrease fuel economy. With the type of offroading I will be doing (99% more than most other SUV owner) I am confident a good all terrain tire will be perfect. My expedition has 32's and this will be fine. I likely may get an Outer Banks which comes standard with 32's and when they need to be replaced get them in 33's to match that of the Badlands. Curious to see what other tire sizes fit the rims, and I am hoping the OB has the same width as the BL rim. Ideally I would also like a half inch wider tire in addition to one inch high (again hoping they can clear). Going to see what other Bronco owners do and likely follow suit.
you will lose some MPG with larger tires however the vast majority of that MPG can be recovered by re-gearing the differentials. my dad did that with his jeep JL because he had 37s. he had issues with highway speeds, low speed acceleration, and transmission shifting. much of the time he did'nt have his overdrive gear at all at highway speeds because his gearing was too low. then he overcompensated a few years ago by going too high. he solved the shifting issue but now he lost a lot of highway mileage because he was now at higher rpm's than stock. then he lowered his ratio a 3rd time. F***ed up his diff, his locker, etc. doing literally in the backyard tent and while the new ratio fixed the mileage, he now has it sitting in the tent waiting on new gears because the oil drained out from one of teh sensors or something blowing out of the diff and chewing up teh new gears.... i honestly dont know how he did this but yea. re-gearing helps with mpg. a quick equation will help determine the proper gear for the tire you want. you take your tire size you want and then multiply by your original stock gear ratio. then divide by your original tire size and you'll get the closest matching gear ratio needed. example from my girlfriends jeep 35X3.55/28=4.4375 round UP for performance to the nearest gear ratio and we get 4.56 ratio gears. she currently has 31s but wants 35s.

Road trip!!!

Aug 28, 2020

you take your tire size you want and then multiply by your original stock gear ratio. then divide by your original tire size and you'll get the closest matching gear ratio needed. example from my girlfriends jeep 35X3.55/28=4.4375 round UP for performance to the nearest gear ratio and we get 4.56 ratio gears. she currently has 31s but wants 35s.
Shouldn’t your equation be 35x3.55/31=4.008 or 4.10?
2021 Badlands, 4 door, 2.7L, Auto, LUX, SAS, Tow Package, MIC, Velocity Blue.
CamoflaugeMan

Rank V

Aug 28, 2020

Shouldn’t your equation be 35x3.55/31=4.008 or 4.10?
no because we currently have stock gearing in the diffs. we currently have issues with shifting at highway speeds and sluggish take off which I wanted to fix for some time. should have mentioned that. but she liked the look of the 31s we got the jeep with. so we kept them. the 28 represents the stock tire size and proper torque being applied to the wheels for the transmission to shift properly, and the engine to achieve designed power and MPG. if we used the 31s currently on the jeep as the part of the equation we would still have those issues. thanks for pointing that out

Road trip!!!

Aug 28, 2020

no because we currently have stock gearing in the diffs. we currently have issues with shifting at highway speeds and sluggish take off which I wanted to fix for some time. should have mentioned that. but she liked the look of the 31s we got the jeep with. so we kept them. the 28 represents the stock tire size and proper torque being applied to the wheels for the transmission to shift properly, and the engine to achieve designed power and MPG. if we used the 31s currently on the jeep as the part of the equation we would still have those issues. thanks for pointing that out
I picked up that you had 31’s on it from your post. Didn’t see in there that it originally had 28’s on it.
Was wondering where the 28 came from.
CamoflaugeMan

Rank VI

Aug 28, 2020

My F150 FX4 has aggressive tread and there is a definite difference from the stock tires in terms of noise, but since it goes off-road on a regular basis and needs to handle winter conditions, there also is a huge difference in how it handles what I use it for. It rarely goes on long freeway drives, but it did, I would use something less aggressive. The original Scorpions that were on there were slippery on everything. So, you need to decide your tire by how you will use it. If you are a commuter and mall warrior, you will likely be happier without the more aggressive tread.
I wasn't there...
CamoflaugeMan

Rank IV

Aug 30, 2020

Question for those more knowledgeable than me. If I get the Sasquatch package in a lower model, say Base or BB. And I really don’t like the 35’s and after they wore down I replaced them with AT 33’s wouldn’t that be the same basic set up as Badlands? Minus the interior differences and sway bar disconnect.

And follow up question, wouldn’t that give me slightly more wheel travel?

Would the gearing need to be changed?

thx.

Rank 0

Aug 31, 2020

Tires are a gateway drug.
You're going to get the 33's, go down a dirt road and scrape the bottom and say fawk it, I'm getting 35's
You get the 35's and dirt roads become boring so you adventure into some rockier terrain. You go down a trail and scrape on rocks. Darn it! Shoulda started with 37's!
You get 37's, wish you had the 4.7's (or higher)of the sqatch, and you wheel rocky terrain. You get rock rails and under armor (the steel kind, not lycra) and you have a mega sheet load of fun and realize that this is why you bough the bronco in the first place.
You day dream about 40's but realize 37's are a good happy place and smile with contentment as you gaze lovingly upon your totally sick Bronco, a machine that unbridles your spirit and allows you to gallop into the proverbial sunset

Long story short, unless you know for a fact you'll only mall crawl splurge on the Squatch. Its a better starting off point
B MIller, CamoflaugeMan

Road trip!!!

Aug 31, 2020

You get 37's, wish you had the 4.7's (or higher)of the sqatch, and you wheel rocky terrain. You get rock rails and under armor (the steel kind, not lycra) and you have a mega sheet load of fun and realize that this is why you bough the bronco in the first place.
Well said!

Rank 0

Aug 31, 2020

Well said!
Thank you! I've been there, gotten the tshirt, and lived it. Buy once, cry once. Its cheaper that way.
Mal, SlashRacer

Rank V

Aug 31, 2020

Question for those more knowledgeable than me. If I get the Sasquatch package in a lower model, say Base or BB. And I really don’t like the 35’s and after they wore down I replaced them with AT 33’s wouldn’t that be the same basic set up as Badlands? Minus the interior differences and sway bar disconnect.

And follow up question, wouldn’t that give me slightly more wheel travel?

Would the gearing need to be changed?

thx.
that depends on how they set up the suspension from the factory. if they lift it with just taller coil over springs/shocks and control arms, then yes but only slightly. this also wont change if you go down a tire size. however if they add spacers and taller bump stops then no. all you will have is more clearance in the wheel well. it would in essence be nearly identical to the badlands. as for gearing. at the very least your programming would need to change for accurate odometer/speedometer readings. if you decide that you want to stick with the smaller tires then it would be recommended to change your gearing if MPG is a big concern for you. otherwise no you don't absolutely have to. it wont affect shifting in auto transmissions and it will give you better torque when goin over obstacles. really depends on what you plan to do in the rig.

Rank IV

Aug 31, 2020

Tires are a gateway drug.
You're going to get the 33's, go down a dirt road and scrape the bottom and say fawk it, I'm getting 35's
You get the 35's and dirt roads become boring so you adventure into some rockier terrain. You go down a trail and scrape on rocks. Darn it! Shoulda started with 37's!
You day dream about 40's but realize 37's are a good happy place and smile with contentment as you gaze lovingly upon your totally sick Bronco, a machine that unbridles your spirit and allows you to gallop into the proverbial sunset

Long story short, unless you know for a fact you'll only mall crawl splurge on the Squatch. Its a better starting off point

I got chills...
SlashRacer, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Aug 31, 2020

I know that on the fullsize Broncos the TTB suspension is good up until 35"s. I have seen guys run 44"s with a 6 inch lift and 2 inch body lifts but really why???

I have a 1993 with a 6 inch lift and 35" BFG mud terrains. Yes it is a beast. A very thirsty beast at 9mpg. When I first did the lift and bigger tires it had no acceleration. Re-geared to 4:56 and she has a ton more pep…. and as stated above a raving acholic for gas.

My 1996 is all stock and I run 33" BFG all terrains. I can get 15mpg to 17mpg all day long. I daily drive this thing everyday.... and everyday it puts a smile on my face.

If you want a beast get the 35" tires and suck it up at the pump. That will be the price you pay.
If you want to drive a capable rig that can still get above 20mpg then 33"s.

let's say you put 50 miles per day on your Bronco. 350 miles a week. 18,200 miles per year.

Stock
18,200 23mpg = 791 gallons of gas per year. 1,582 dollars if gas stays at 2.00 per gallon

35" tires and re-gear
18,200 17 mpg = 1,070 gallons per year. 2,141 dollars if gas stays at 2.00 per gallon

That is about $560 per year just in gas to have bigger ties. They are both badass Broncos … whatever makes you happy.
Broncofly, gothavit