2021-Bronco sport-transmission shudder--SSM 49930

Barry Cooper
Feb 27, 2022

Rank 0

Feb 27, 2022

Hello All-I am posting this because i am told that FORD CUSTOMER CARE people actually look at these post and at times open up problem tickets. so i took my 2021 bronco sport to the dealer 2 weeks ago for the transmission shudder problem that happens at certain shift points in normal and eco mode but goes completely away in sport mode. The dealer said many people are having the problem so they loaded a software update and the problem went away--FOR ONE DAY-then it came back. I also have a 2022 bronco sport with same problem so i took that into dealer i week later for the software update and the dealer stated that ford pulled the update and its not available anymore-the service manager at the dealer said he just purchased a 2022 bronco sport 1.5 engine and has the same transmission shudder problem i am having and he said many customers are complaining about this problem.
In speaking with the senior transmission tech at the dealer he says that ford reps tell him if the problem is happening on more than one car then its a normal characteristic of that car and he says if he calls ford tech support they will not help him at all. because it happens on more than one car so i bought the 2021 in dec 2021 and the 2022 in jan 2022--yes i bought two of them--now i am having second thoughts about the purchase. Can someone at ford customer care PLEASE PLEASE help me as i dont know what to do. All i need to be told is that Ford is aware of the problem and are working on fix via a software fix....can anyone confirm that ford is aware that its a major problem and they are working on a software update. I called other local ford dealers and they tell me the have many customers with the same issue. SSm 49930 is not an acceptable answer for me and i am sure lots of others.
Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2022

Gladesmen

Feb 27, 2022

Way back in 01 I bought the first year escape and it had a shudder at a certain speed at 45 it felt like I was driving over a cattle guard. Turns out they used the wrong Automatic transmission fluid. After they replaced it I never had an issue with that suv.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery

Rank 0

Apr 21, 2022

Hello All-I am posting this because i am told that FORD CUSTOMER CARE people actually look at these post and at times open up problem tickets. so i took my 2021 bronco sport to the dealer 2 weeks ago for the transmission shudder problem that happens at certain shift points in normal and eco mode but goes completely away in sport mode. The dealer said many people are having the problem so they loaded a software update and the problem went away--FOR ONE DAY-then it came back. I also have a 2022 bronco sport with same problem so i took that into dealer i week later for the software update and the dealer stated that ford pulled the update and its not available anymore-the service manager at the dealer said he just purchased a 2022 bronco sport 1.5 engine and has the same transmission shudder problem i am having and he said many customers are complaining about this problem.
In speaking with the senior transmission tech at the dealer he says that ford reps tell him if the problem is happening on more than one car then its a normal characteristic of that car and he says if he calls ford tech support they will not help him at all. because it happens on more than one car so i bought the 2021 in dec 2021 and the 2022 in jan 2022--yes i bought two of them--now i am having second thoughts about the purchase. Can someone at ford customer care PLEASE PLEASE help me as i dont know what to do. All i need to be told is that Ford is aware of the problem and are working on fix via a software fix....can anyone confirm that ford is aware that its a major problem and they are working on a software update. I called other local ford dealers and they tell me the have many customers with the same issue. SSm 49930 is not an acceptable answer for me and i am sure lots of others.
Our 2021 bronco sport developed the trans shudder about 4500 miles. Dealer claimed they couldn't verify. At 6000+ miles I took tech for a ride and verified shudder. He ordered new torque converter and valve body. Dealer had it 2 weeks with parts on hand and couldn't get to it. Finally after a sit down with GM and Service manager they got it in and repaired in 3days. Picked it up and no shudder and down shifted properly and was very pleased. 500 miles later the shutters back. Left it with dealer and it sat there again. Left it again and tech drove it a couple days. No call so I called dealer. They said tech verified shudder and Ford told them it's normal. My Butt it's normal. Why was it ok the first 4500 miles and fixed for another 500 miles. Our dealers service was very poor but Ford has come through. They are doing a buyback. I just love the car but can't live with a shudder everytime we drive it. Fix the problem Ford. Until then I'll keep driving my 240,000 mile Toyota.

Rank V

Apr 22, 2022

Our 2021 bronco sport developed the trans shudder about 4500 miles. Dealer claimed they couldn't verify. At 6000+ miles I took tech for a ride and verified shudder. He ordered new torque converter and valve body. Dealer had it 2 weeks with parts on hand and couldn't get to it. Finally after a sit down with GM and Service manager they got it in and repaired in 3days. Picked it up and no shudder and down shifted properly and was very pleased. 500 miles later the shutters back. Left it with dealer and it sat there again. Left it again and tech drove it a couple days. No call so I called dealer. They said tech verified shudder and Ford told them it's normal. My Butt it's normal. Why was it ok the first 4500 miles and fixed for another 500 miles. Our dealers service was very poor but Ford has come through. They are doing a buyback. I just love the car but can't live with a shudder everytime we drive it. Fix the problem Ford. Until then I'll keep driving my 240,000 mile Toyota.

Hello! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer.
I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this shudder concern. Thanks!

Rank 0

Apr 22, 2022

Hello! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer.
I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this shudder concern. Thanks!
Frontier ford Anacortes Washington. We deliver it back on Monday the 25th it's to late for us but hope Ford will fix the issue for other bronco sport owners.

Rank 0

Jun 29, 2022

My Ford Bronco sport is a 2021 bought in September. It has a shudder and it jerks when gears are shifting. It also makes a crackling noise when shifting gears. It makes for not a smooth ride. I have taken it to the dealership twice and both times they reset the software on the car. This did not fix the problem. After they told me it’s a characteristic of the car. It doesn’t drive right so not sure how that is a characteristic. Any help on how to get this problem fixed because I will have to use the lemon law if the problem isn’t fixed a third time. Thanks

Rank 0

Aug 25, 2022

I also have a Ford 2021 Bronco that is experiencing an engine shudder. Specifically, I notice the shudder more while driving at lower speeds (40 mph and below). At times when I break, the rpm spikes to 3,000 rpm’s while breaking before the car comes to a stop, the engine then shudders. Other times, while changing lower speeds, the engine will also jump before it shifts into the next gear. I have taken my car in twice to the dealership and I was also told that this is a characteristic of the vehicle. I have had other Ford’s before that had a similar engine and it did not have that characteristic. The guy at the dealership who test drove my car said he could see what I was describing but when it came time for the car to be taken in to the mechanic he said the characteristic was normal for the engine. This absolutely does not feel normal! Next time I take it in will be my third time visiting the dealership and I am not confident that the issue will resolve. This will likely be my last time buying a Ford vehicle.

Rank 0

Aug 27, 2022

How did you go about getting the buyback ? I’m having this issue too . Transmission bucks slips and it’s terrible to drive . I did everything they asked even drove another Bronco to see if it had the problem and it did not . They updated software and it’s worst . The first 5,000 miles I had no issues then all of a sudden transmission issues . My car has been at the dealer over 20 days in 8 months of owning .

Rank IV

Jun 16, 2023

Reading this thread and I have exactly the same story to share… our 2021 transmission began shuddering at low speeds around 15,000 miles. We have a son with Autism and he is in a running group. As he can wander off, we have to follow him, and this requires low speed. Our dealership Joe Cooper Ford on (2) occasions when I took it in for service (oil change) and told them about the issue, refused to put anything about my compliant and concerns in a report, resulting in me taking it to the GM then contacting Ford and filing a compliant. I was told they cannot write anything unless the appointment is specifically for the transmission. We scheduled and left it with the dealership to look at the transmission issue for over a week, without a courtesy loaner vehicle, (our dealership offered that as a perk at purchase but due to shortage of vehicles they revised their policy). We were told nothing wrong but to just drive it in sport mode. Sport mode does not resolve the issue, had it in again, finally told their transmission expert definitely felt it and that they don’t have an answer or fix and that this may be normal for the car! On a trip in December the electronic display, radio- Sirius went blank/ non-operational couldn’t turn off or on, just a crackling sound in the speakers for about 600 miles, then came back on. This has happened (3) times now… Back to the transmission, the speed range the shudder occurs at widened from initially 7- 15 mph to then occurring also at 21- 35 mph. Our dealership did not have a transmission tech available to look at it for a couple months and was told we would just have to leave it with them with zero estimation of when they could get to it, or just drive it, it’s still under warranty… We changed dealerships due to the ongoing debacle and they did a programming reset which has resulted in very sluggish performance, poorer fuel efficiency, the transmission still shudders but now it also doesn’t always shift, it has stayed in low gear until 30mph before shifting and also once downshifted to low, revving the rpms while going about 22 mph and they have been more open about the issue but they don’t have a fix or an answer still. The new dealership is having difficulty retaining a qualified transmission tech as well and so again we’re back to leave it until they can look at it, hopefully just a few days… It’s currently back in with them as I type, at 58,500 miles. Also after we fill with gas (and no we’re not topping off) let the pump stop, it doesn’t want to start, very hard start and getting progressively worse. I suspect this to be the recall for a drain tube, that the parts won’t be available for until at least October… Service manager tells me yesterday it’s most likely a purge valve (not covered under warranty)… Have been a loyal Ford Customer since 1986, owned over 140 Fords new and classics, going to go buy a Hyundai for quality and warranty. BTW- only bought the Sport to hold us over until our 2021 full size comes in, Ford could NEVER deliver our order, even after changing color and a few other things for THEM. No more Fords… DONE.