2.3L vs 2.7L

llv1980
Oct 20, 2021

Rank II

Oct 20, 2021

I just had to redo my 2021 Outer Banks order to a 2022 and was told by the dealer I could make some changes. I didn't make any changes but after watching some videos I am wondering if I should have gone with the 2.7L engine vs the 2.3L. Is there anyone here who have received their new Bronco that can tell me how they like the 2.3 or 2.7 engines?
Sad my 21 Bronco will now be a 22 and I hope not 23? Outer Banks, 4 door, Cactus Gray, Lux with towing and hardtop.
the poacher
Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2021

Rank VI

Oct 20, 2021

I just had to redo my 2021 Outer Banks order to a 2022 and was told by the dealer I could make some changes. I didn't make any changes but after watching some videos I am wondering if I should have gone with the 2.7L engine vs the 2.3L. Is there anyone here who have received their new Bronco that can tell me how they like the 2.3 or 2.7 engines?

I test drove a mannequin in the 4 cyl. It was completely fine driving on paved roads, including the Interstate. The Bronco didn't feel underpowered. I didn't get to drive it off-road, uphill or loaded up with gear so I don't know about that. There was nothing exciting about the power or drive. Just a nice, smooth engine to drive around. I enjoyed driving it!! It will get a bit better mpg than the 6 cyl of course. So it's cheaper and more practical if you want that. If you mostly drive around town and the occasional hill or Interstate trip, I think you will be fine.

I'm getting the 6 cyl. I will be loading my Bronco up with people and gear, driving up mountains and towing toys, both on and off road. So I know I will need it.

Both engines can be tuned down the road for more performance. Ford Performance sells tuning kits so I assume they will with the Bronco as well. That 2.7L 6 cyl can be tuned quite nice and is what I plan on doing. Not because the 6 cyl Bronco needs it, but for the performance that I love.
JgaryB, Bt_ostate

Rank 0

Oct 20, 2021

I test drove a 2.3 badlands and was very impressed with it, with 3 adults in the vehicle on road and freeway (not off road). I have not yet driven a 2.7. I have ordered a 2.7 as I will be off roading a lot with a fully loaded vehicle.
Yankdawg, WeakNinja

Life is a Highway

Oct 20, 2021

I test drove the 2.3 and it was good on the street. Did the Off-Roadeo last week in the 2.7. Spectacular!
Toy Drive, NiceBronco

Rank VI

Oct 20, 2021

I test drove the 2.3 and it was good on the street. Did the Off-Roadeo last week in the 2.7. Spectacular!
I'm envious!! Haven't driven the 2.7 yet.
llv1980

Rank V

Oct 20, 2021

I currently have a 2.3 manual Big Bend and loving it. I should have the 2.7 auto Badlands and Black Diamond at the end of the year to do a comparison. One SAS and one none SAS.
Bronco Badlands, Bronco Black Diamond, Bronco Big Bend, & Bronco Sport Badlands
www.youtube.com/1five1garage
richtor, FM58

Don't Follow Me ,I'm about to do something Stupid

Oct 20, 2021

I purchased a 2020 Ranger FX4 to get me by until the Bronco arrives and it has adequate power but nothing to get excited about . I was instantly glad that I had opted for the 2.7 in the Bronco .
2Dr Badlands - MIC - Area51 - 2.7 Auto - MGV - Headliner - High Pkg
Reserved 7/20/20 Delivered 5/6/23
"Ford said, hey we're gonna fulfill all reservations and pre-orders before we build stock units."
IceSoldier88, NiceBronco

Rank IV

Oct 20, 2021

I want manual transmission, thus my only option was the 2.3 I4 engine. My Bronco is 2-door, so likely weighs a bit less.
2021 Black Diamond - 2Door - Black - Manual
Res: 09/20 Order: 01/21 Delivered: 12/21
richtor, Crawler Green

No Ragerts

Oct 20, 2021

I have not driven the 2.3L and ordered and received the 2.7L but I am still in the break-in period so I don’t have a side-by-side comparison for you HOWEVER, there is a reason that +90% of the Broncos utilized at the Off Roadeo venues are 2.7L.
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
RdCrom86, TK1215

Rank V

Oct 20, 2021

I got to drive both before I ordered and couldn't tell a big difference. If you are going to get squatched and be doing a bunch of crawling on the weekends get the 2.7. If you'll spend most of your time on the road get the 2.3.
Velocity Blue, Black Diamond, Soft Top, 2.3L, Auto, Tow, Mid. In production since 2/1. Rotting on Ice Mountain.
oldred57, Smoothmove

Rank VI

Oct 20, 2021

I drove the 2.7 at the rodeo also. Plenty of power. My only bitch is the frame stiffener hangs lower than the frame. The 2.3 doesn’t have it.
NiceBronco, SlashRacer

Rank II

Oct 20, 2021

If you do consistent highway driving get the 2.3
Persian, Smoothmove

Rank VI

Oct 20, 2021

I did a 24 hour drive in my dealers Wildtrak mannequin it comes standard with the 2.7 and it was extremely peppy, lots of low end grunt etc. Bronco girl noted that Ford Performance will likely offer some kind of kit for bot engines and K&N currently offers a performance upgrade kit for the 2.3. I wouldn't hesitate a second to get the 2.3 great engine and fully upgradable.
1976BRONCO

Rank V

Oct 20, 2021

Jealous of all these test drives! My dealer, Billy Howell Ford in GA, said I had to rent it for $200 a day… no test drives!
Griffinftw, Pawel Kaliszan

Rank VI

Oct 20, 2021

Jealous of all these test drives! My dealer, Billy Howell Ford in GA, said I had to rent it for $200 a day… no test drives!
That really sucks, here's couple of pics of the Wildtrak, all my neighbors now keep bugging me about mine which is now MY22. The crew at Mullinax Ford Apopka has been absolutely amazing, no BS on pricing and really helpful.IMG_0001.jpeg64934316854__897B7C09-3711-4F61-A499-574BA8B7D313.jpeg
Griffinftw, Crawler Green

Rank VI

Oct 20, 2021

The 2.7 is a great motor. I'd go with that.
Bronco Nation Member #0000
Instagram: bdawson24
llv1980

Burrito Connoisseur

Oct 20, 2021

Driven three different 2.7L Broncos, and one 2.3L.

Pros of the 2.3L
  • Better fuel economy. Roughly 2-3 MPG.
  • Cheaper
  • Traditional all-metal oil pan and spin-on oil filter. (2.7L has a plastic composite oil pan to save weight.)
  • Lighter. Therefore, more room for cargo, and the ability to option in some extra factory options (such as the roof rails on the Badlands trim)
  • Available in manual transmission
Pros of the 2.7L
  • More power... through in my opinion the power difference wasn't really that noticeable.
  • More torque... which was definitely noticeable
  • Better for towing
  • Better for more extreme off-roading
  • Better for larger tires (> 37")
I talked to my buddy who works at a Ford dealer and he said he has seen WAY more 2.7L engines with issues than 2.3L engines. BUT, I'm fairly confident that has more to do with the fact that the 2.7L engine is available on the F-150... which as we all know is the most popular vehicle in America.

I think most people would be happy with both. In my opinion,. if your Bronco is going to be a daily driver the 2.3L is probably the better choice. Otherwise, the 2.7L makes the most sense. Personally, I want the manual transmission, so I'm locked into the 2.3L.
2022 4dr Badlands, 2.3L Manual, Mid pkg
YouTube: youtube.com/@ragnarkon
Big Papa, NiceBronco

Rank IV

Oct 20, 2021

observation: There are a lot of posts here saying they drove the 2.3 and were impressed by it...only to turnaround and order the 2.7. That might be the statement the OP was looking for...
Reformed Wrangler, TBBroncoTN

Rank II

Oct 20, 2021

I like how everyone is like "get the 2.7L for extreme offroading".... That statement couldn't be further from the truth! Unless your going mud bogging (I mean deep ruts with big tires) or bajaing through the desert on 40" tires the 2.3L will follow the 2.7L anywhere! You don't need high horsepower or even huge torque bands to go trail riding or rock crawling! A big motor does not make a vehicle a great off roader!

IMO- if you plan to DD the bronco with bigger than 35" tires then you probably want to opt for the 2.7L, it will handle going up hills(on comute) better and take offs with the bigger tires! If you like to drive stuff with a snappy acceleration then get the 2.7L. If you don't plan to DD with bigger than 35" tires, it doesn't bother you to not be the fastest car on the road, and would prefer a little better mpg... then get the 2.3L!

I will also say, if your already not sure, then go with the 2.7L... It's easier and better to have the extra hp & torque and not need it then to wish you had it and not have it!
4 door, big bend, 222A options, auto, 2.3L. Ordered 9/15/2021, Delivered 12/7/2021.
Big Papa, TorgSurv

Rank V

Oct 20, 2021

I got the 2.3L Outer Banks four door and it has plenty of power! It is my daily driver and is averaging 22.8 mph. Keep in mind I didn't buy her for major off-roading or towing, although she does have the towing package.
kwerking, Roshang98