2.3L vs 2.7L and Fuel Efficiency

Eugd
Feb 22, 2022

Rank 0

Feb 22, 2022

I just ordered the 2.3L badlands automatic last night the rep told me the 4L cylinder was better on fuel however I started to read about that the 2.7L does better on highway. The 2.3L is more of a gas guzzler for some reason based on the 2021 model info that I found online Just wanted to know what’s everyone experience since I can modify it now. I don’t mind upgrading to the 2.7 if it means better mileage overall. Thanks for your anticipated help.
Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2022

Rank V

Feb 22, 2022

Here you go, real world results: https://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/bronco/2021

You can sort by engine to see the difference.
Eugd

Standing Grumpy Face

Feb 22, 2022

I will say this. I owned a 2.7 and have driven the 2.3. It is hard to resist the temptation of being heavy on the pedal with the 2.7. It is just way fun to drive. Not that the 2.3 is a slouch. But when you get on that 2.7 it just goes. Along with your fuel efficiency. :cool:
Deano Bronc, LR48

Rank 0

Feb 22, 2022

I will say this. I owned a 2.7 and have driven the 2.3. It is hard to resist the temptation of being heavy on the pedal with the 2.7. It is just way fun to drive. Not that the 2.3 is a slouch. But when you get on that 2.7 it just goes. Along with your fuel efficiency. :cool:
Thanks. I am not planning on doing that much off-roading I don’t understand why the 2.3l automatic has bad fuel efficiency reviews. Most of the stats on fuelly is the 2.7L. Not too much on the 2.3l automatic version

Rank VI

Feb 22, 2022

I’ve always looked at this as power equation. Power_in = power_out/efficiency.

So fuel_in = HP/efficiency

If you and I both drive the same bronco model, one 2.3 and the other 2.7. And we drive in similar manner (acceleration/ speed), then really the only difference is going to be the engines efficiency. I doubt that there is more than a 1% efficiency difference between the two and therefore mileage differences are going to be minimal (If driven equally).

“It’s a 4cyl, I should get 30mpg”, doesn’t compute anymore when it’s creating 270-300hp.
2021 badlands, 2.3, MT, rapid red, soft top
Jakob1972, Bronco V-8

Rank VI

Feb 22, 2022

I just ordered the 2.3L badlands automatic last night the rep told me the 4L cylinder was better on fuel however I started to read about that the 2.7L does better on highway. The 2.3L is more of a gas guzzler for some reason based on the 2021 model info that I found online Just wanted to know what’s everyone experience since I can modify it now. I don’t mind upgrading to the 2.7 if it means better mileage overall. Thanks for your anticipated help.
Don’t buy the bronco if your worried about gas. They both suck. Your driving a brick.
Shadowmere.Bronco, Oldhippie

Rank VI

Feb 22, 2022

I had a Badlands with the 2.3l that I was able to use for a week down at the Jersey Shore. With that said, very little highway driving. If I remember correctly I got right around 17.5 MPG.

I've now owned my BaseSquatch for 3 1/2 months. It has the 2.7l. If I don't get on it too much, I'm averaging about 17.1 MPG.

So based on my week with the 2.3l and considerably more with the 2.7l, it sure as hell seems like a wash to me. I've seen some people say they are getting closer to 20 with the 2.3l and no squatch, but it's still nothing to write home about.

Honestly, I don't see the benefit of a little turbo engine, nor do I see the benefit of this 10 speed transmission. I would've been plenty happy with a V8 hooked up to a 6 or 7 speed auto trans. But it is what Ford offered, so it is what I have.
2021 Broncos - BaseSquatch 4dr. Rapid Red V6 Soft Top
Big Bed 4dr. AMB V6 Soft Top Tow (BIL's)
Nitto tires SUCK! You've been warned.

Rank 0

Feb 22, 2022

I had a Badlands with the 2.3l that I was able to use for a week down at the Jersey Shore. With that said, very little highway driving. If I remember correctly I got right around 17.5 MPG.

I've now owned my BaseSquatch for 3 1/2 months. It has the 2.7l. If I don't get on it too much, I'm averaging about 17.1 MPG.

So based on my week with the 2.3l and considerably more with the 2.7l, it sure as hell seems like a wash to me. I've seen some people say they are getting closer to 20 with the 2.3l and no squatch, but it's still nothing to write home about.

Honestly, I don't see the benefit of a little turbo engine, nor do I see the benefit of this 10 speed transmission. I would've been plenty happy with a V8 hooked up to a 6 or 7 speed auto trans. But it is what Ford offered, so it is what I have.
Thanks for the info
EvlNvrDys

Rank 0

Feb 22, 2022

I’ve always looked at this as power equation. Power_in = power_out/efficiency.

So fuel_in = HP/efficiency

If you and I both drive the same bronco model, one 2.3 and the other 2.7. And we drive in similar manner (acceleration/ speed), then really the only difference is going to be the engines efficiency. I doubt that there is more than a 1% efficiency difference between the two and therefore mileage differences are going to be minimal (If driven equally).

“It’s a 4cyl, I should get 30mpg”, doesn’t compute anymore when it’s creating 270-300hp.
Thanks makes sense

Rank VI

Feb 22, 2022

The 2.7 is newer and slightly more sophisticated (DI and twin turbos) so that is likely part of it. I have the 2.7, have driven the 2.3 a few times. The 2.3 should do about 10% better based on everything I have seen. I am getting about 17.5 all around on my non sq badlands. That would equal about 19.25 for the 2.3. Matches most of the reports I have seen. For what it’s worth, my sons Ranger FX4 when driven like the little old man he is as a driver, consistently gets 23+. Driven really conservatively, you could likely do a bit better than 19.25 with the Bronco. 2.7 really sucks it down over 75 mph too btw.

Your unofficial Favorite Author

Feb 22, 2022

I'd probably be better, but I don't reset my computers, so at 15.8ish while also driving with a lead foot and listening to the turbo spool/faint kn woosh

2 & 1/2 ton brick on wheels, you're not getting anything above 20 driving normal
2dr Badlands 2.3 Manual w/Mid, Rapid Red
My blog, Mfcomics.net, my stories: https://payhip.com/MFComics
Shoresy, Mattwings

Rank 0

Feb 22, 2022

I decided I’m upgrading to the 2.7 since it will have better pickup and probably not tax the engine if I start to use it to tow or pull something. Thanks for all the information
Mattwings

Wank ER

Feb 22, 2022

Good conversation. What I am seeing in my 2.7 is the weight as a major factor. It's loaded with off road accesssories thjat it carries around in the city, in the country on and off road. As someone said above, It's a "Brick".
Given you don't plan on doing any serious off-roading, make sure you buy a model with the least added accessories for off roading. I didn't see which one you are considering, but look at the standard packages and reduce weight with interior and exterior options. Then, the 2.3 might make more of a difference in saving on gas over the long haul. Both engines are capable in my opinion. Good luck!
2021 FE Cactus Grey

Rank IV

Feb 23, 2022

I have the 2.7 and have 5K miles on it. 95% of my driving is city (to and from work which is about 2 miles away). I average about 13-15 miles per gallon. About what I was averaging in my 6.2L V8 Denali. I do have 35 inch tires on the Bronco. I don't drive with a heavy foot. The few times I have taken it on longer trips, I am closer to 19 mpg. Not sure if anyone else is average 13-15 for local driving but I expected slightly better.
OBX 4 Dr / Lux / Leather / Tow / Orange / Soft Top / 2.7L
Res: 7/15/20 - OD: 2/19/21 - IP: 6/23 - Built 6/27 - Rec 7/9

@MyDogsBronco

Feb 23, 2022

How often do you use eco. Mode? I'm around 16 so far and try to use it a lot.
STL, IG: MyDogsBronco
Oxford White Badlands, 2.7, Sasquatch, SoftTop, Tow, Lux
Ordered: April 28, 2021; Vin received: 10/1; Bronco Off Rodeo: New Hampshire 10/6; Production Date: 12/9; Delivered 2/1

Rank II

Feb 23, 2022

Just took a trip from Pollock Pines to Las Vegas and back (exactly 600 miles each way! going around the south bend 15->58->99)

Averaged 20.7 mpg 91 octane round trip with a bit of around town driving. Badlands 2.3L manual.

Going through the mountains was a breeze. Thoroughly impressed with the 2.3L. Would definitely recommend.
Crawler Green, Shoresy

Rank 0

Feb 23, 2022

Just went to the dealership and changed it from a 2.3 to the 2.7. Makes more sense in the long run regardless of the mileage.

Rank VI

Feb 23, 2022

I daiy drive a 2.3 BD. Consistently getting 22 mpg.
I also am mindful of the RPMs. I think that if you are consistently pushing 2k+ rpms on a 5000 lb vehicle,, that little 4 banger turbo is gonna slurp it up.
20220130_165211.jpg
Mattwings

Rank VI

Feb 23, 2022

Have been driving my obx 2.7L 4dr non squatch for the last 5 months and am averaging 18.8 mpg using premium fuel.

Rank V

Feb 23, 2022

I have a 21 Ranger Lariat Tremor. It has the 2.3. I will say it gets up and moves when need to. But I average 16 around town. And 18 highway doing 74+ so I imagine bronco should be around the same. Both have high gearing and bigger off-road tires. I opted for the 2.7 to go with my badsquatch.
2022 Badlands / 4dr / Sasquatch / 2.7 / Soft Top / Velocity Blue / Lux / HD Bumper / Engine Block Heater / Keypad