Rockslide Engineering Rotapax Tire Carrier

SCHANDAthePANDA
Feb 13, 2022

Rank IV

Feb 13, 2022

I purchased the Rockslide Engineering Rotapax carrier for camping and longer outings with ATVs and what not and i can say having the extra fuel was very useful. I really like the solution and it does not add too much weight to the carrier, even with the pax full. Very easy to mount and took maybe 10 minutes. Here’s some pros cons and advice after taking the kit on a couple serious outings.

PROS:

-Universal (any spare tire mounted externally should facilitate install) and no drill NON-Permanent install

-Carries up to 2.5 gallons on either side without taking up additional space (honestly I have the 2 gallons and I think 2.5 would e too large for 33in spare)

-Very easy to mount and dismount tanks

-Durable and stayed put throughout my entire VERY abusive Johnson Valley KoH trip

-Rotapax options for other kits makes this versatile without taking up precious cargo space or adding vehicle height

-the whole rig can remove in maybe 2 minutes if just grocery getting

CONS:

-Not thief proof, the ratchet strap making it a simple install also means a garbage person could remove it easily. Best to remove for the everyday and re-install for the outings

-you have to buy the carrier and the Rotapax mount separately

-if you don’t have tools you’ll have to have the parts joined by someone who does

-it does add weight to the swing arm so if on a incline/decline the gate opens/closes with additional velocity (towards the gravity of course)

-in the highest practical configuration the tank on the hinge side of the gate WILL make contact with the right taillight (consider variables 33in and 2 gallon tanks does). Hence making^this con above important. Ask me how I cracked my taillight :cautious:

ADVICE:

-When mounting the packs the ratchet strap will feel pretty tight, crank it down until you can’t do it anymore, this will ensure sliding does not occur when bouncing around with full tanks.
-Do not waste your money on the locking Rotapax mounts (get the deluxe mounts) as they secure nothing since the thief could remove the whole thing being a ratchet strap and all.
-Check for possible contact points on the vehicle after install and with simulated vibration. We’d all hate to scratch up the gorgeous steed (or crack a taillight) due to a lack of QC!!
-vent your gas tank on long trips or after decent altitude changes or be prepared to take a very flammable shower
-mounting at a 45 degree angle allows you to vent the tanks without removal and with minimal to no fuel loss.

Enjoy a picture of my Betsy; Badlands, 7 speed manual, 33s, fresh wash from King of Hammers, and with the mount installed.

If you guys like the simplistic and basic review I can do more on my other upgrades as the build progresses. Open for questions and feedback! Keep on trailing ladies and gents and death to mall crawlers and pavement princesses!!

6C435A4D-8062-405C-A4D9-C55A80F69506.jpeg
-Witty catchphrase goes here
Deano Bronc, _jeff
Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2022

Life is a Highway

Feb 13, 2022

I purchased the Rockslide Engineering Rotapax carrier for camping and longer outings with ATVs and what not and i can say having the extra fuel was very useful. I really like the solution and it does not add too much weight to the carrier, even with the pax full. Very easy to mount and took maybe 10 minutes. Here’s some pros cons and advice after taking the kit on a couple serious outings.

PROS:

-Universal (any spare tire mounted externally should facilitate install) and no drill NON-Permanent install

-Carries up to 2.5 gallons on either side without taking up additional space (honestly I have the 2 gallons and I think 2.5 would e too large for 33in spare)

-Very easy to mount and dismount tanks

-Durable and stayed put throughout my entire VERY abusive Johnson Valley KoH trip

-Rotapax options for other kits makes this versatile without taking up precious cargo space or adding vehicle height

-the whole rig can remove in maybe 2 minutes if just grocery getting

CONS:

-Not thief proof, the ratchet strap making it a simple install also means a garbage person could remove it easily. Best to remove for the everyday and re-install for the outings

-you have to buy the carrier and the Rotapax mount separately

-if you don’t have tools you’ll have to have the parts joined by someone who does

-it does add weight to the swing arm so if on a incline/decline the gate opens/closes with additional velocity (towards the gravity of course)

-in the highest practical configuration the tank on the hinge side of the gate WILL make contact with the right taillight (consider variables 33in and 2 gallon tanks does). Hence making^this con above important. Ask me how I cracked my taillight :cautious:

ADVICE:

-When mounting the packs the ratchet strap will feel pretty tight, crank it down until you can’t do it anymore, this will ensure sliding does not occur when bouncing around with full tanks.
-Do not waste your money on the locking Rotapax mounts (get the deluxe mounts) as they secure nothing since the thief could remove the whole thing being a ratchet strap and all.
-Check for possible contact points on the vehicle after install and with simulated vibration. We’d all hate to scratch up the gorgeous steed (or crack a taillight) due to a lack of QC!!
-vent your gas tank on long trips or after decent altitude changes or be prepared to take a very flammable shower
-mounting at a 45 degree angle allows you to vent the tanks without removal and with minimal to no fuel loss.

Enjoy a picture of my Betsy; Badlands, 7 speed manual, 33s, fresh wash from King of Hammers, and with the mount installed.

If you guys like the simplistic and basic review I can do more on my other upgrades as the build progresses. Open for questions and feedback! Keep on trailing ladies and gents and death to mall crawlers and pavement princesses!!

View attachment 28635
Great post
SCHANDAthePANDA

No Ragerts

Feb 13, 2022

I am a big fan as well @SCHANDAthePANDA FYI - RotoPax makes a mount extender that allows you to double up and add another 2 gallon RotoPax to each side for a total of 8 gallons of extra fuel.
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
SCHANDAthePANDA

Rank IV

Feb 13, 2022

I am a big fan as well @SCHANDAthePANDA FYI - RotoPax makes a mount extender that allows you to double up and add another 2 gallon RotoPax to each side for a total of 8 gallons of extra fuel.

I was considering that but unsure if the weight would be too much without reinforcing the swing arm. Are you running the doubled up packs?

No Ragerts

Feb 13, 2022

6F428A26-009C-4218-9648-EA769A10B24C.jpeg
I have both single & double but haven’t used the double yet - in fact, I haven used it at all on my Bronco yet aside from a quick test fit of just the ratchet portion without the FuelPax. Here’s the single on my Jeep.

BTW - I rolled up the surplus end of the strap and then used a diesel zip tie and secured it to the main portion of the strap a couple of inches from the ratchet to allow slack for removal. This little modification makes it super easy to reinstall quickly.
- 2023 Raptor / Shadow Black / MGV (DOB 8/30/23)
- 2023 Heritage Limited Edition / Robin’s Egg Blue / 4dr / (stolen from my dealer 11/15/23)
SCHANDAthePANDA

Rank IV

Feb 14, 2022

View attachment 28654
I have both single & double but haven’t used the double yet - in fact, I haven used it at all on my Bronco yet aside from a quick test fit of just the ratchet portion without the FuelPax. Here’s the single on my Jeep.

BTW - I rolled up the surplus end of the strap and then used a diesel zip tie and secured it to the main portion of the strap a couple of inches from the ratchet to allow slack for removal. This little modification makes it super easy to reinstall quickly.

it can’t be seen in my picture but I used a “ranger band” basically just epdm heavy duty tire rubber band, rolled the excess up and folded the ratchet handle down on it. It has stayed secured since I’ve installed it and same concept very good for quick install and removal! I like the side by side look on the Jeep but with the bronco door handle it’s a little too close for my liking.

Gladesmen

Feb 14, 2022

I wonder if they can make a locking ratchet. Seems like they could make it with a bike lock like cable?
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery

Rank IV

Feb 14, 2022

I wonder if they can make a locking ratchet. Seems like they could make it with a bike lock like cable?
That’s actually a good idea. I’m willing to bet you could run a simple padlock through it to keep it from being disengaged, but I haven’t put too much thought into it really. Theft isn’t a particularly major concern of mine I just remove the packs if I’m going to be parked publicly for extended periods which isn’t often since the bronco is my toy.
Deano Bronc, Jakob1972