15x6 Steel Wheels

Joe Bronco
Jul 22, 2020

Rank II

Jul 22, 2020

am looking into getting the original grey and black hub caps for my '68 but i can't determine if any of the newer steel wheels have the 'bumps' in the correct place and distance apart to accept the hub cap. does anyone know if i have to source 4 separate original bronco steel wheels to make it all come together? or is there a wheel somewhere someone has done this and it works.
Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2020

Rank VI

Jul 22, 2020

HAVE A pic of the caps you want to run?
Have (2) 73 Broncos as well as a 2 door manual shift Velocity Blue Sasquatch in da house!!

Rank II

Jul 22, 2020

1595448559879.png

Rank VI

Jul 22, 2020

Those press against the inner lip of the wheel... I do not think you would have a problem with steel wheels as long as they have 5.5 bolt pattern
Have (2) 73 Broncos as well as a 2 door manual shift Velocity Blue Sasquatch in da house!!

Rank II

Jul 22, 2020

interesting - i did not notice that. i have the hub caps so maybe i'll buy 1 steel wheel new and do a test. sounds like once that works, i can buy the others. thanks for seeing that.

Rank V

Jul 23, 2020

I failed trying to locate new rims that would accept the original Bronco caps and even talked with manufacturers that sell reproductions but state original caps will not fit. So far the only way I got this to work was source original rims, clean, powder coat, balance and mount. The rims I used are welded nor riveted but I know others using riveted rims and they work well. Please let us know how you progress with this I know others will be curious like myself.
It’s time to live again but never forget the ones we lost!

Rank II

Jul 23, 2020

thx trojanhorse. i have one OEM 15x6 that came with my '68 so i'm using that as my test bed when the hub caps above arrive from ebay. if i do end up sourcing them one at a time from people who don't know any more then me i'm guessing i'll have to buy 6 or more to get 4 that work. and it's gonna take some time. but i will definitely post progress here and all lessons learned.

Rank VI

Jul 23, 2020

interesting - i did not notice that. i have the hub caps so maybe i'll buy 1 steel wheel new and do a test. sounds like once that works, i can buy the others. thanks for seeing that.
HAVE one you can take to try if you wanted....

Rank II

Jul 23, 2020

so you're in NH right?

Rank VI

Jul 23, 2020

yep

Rank VI

Aug 09, 2020

Those hub caps will fit any 15 inch steel wheel. The issue is back-spacing - depth of the center in relation to the wheel lip. If not correct for the hub cap the front hubs will be recessed and look a bit odd.
2022 Bronco BadSquatch, 1974 Bronco Ranger, 1976 Bronco Crawler, 1978 Bronco Custom
tasker

Rank II

Aug 09, 2020

that's good to know gibsBronco, thank you. i have 2 steel wheels in hand now and those two seem to work well. two more to go to have four, and don't know about a spare yet, maybe a fifth.

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Aug 09, 2020

Ford used those dog dish hub caps that need the nubs on the center section on trucks too, you might find an interchange from a pickup.Try Hemmings Motor News for parts.
Commodore

Rank VI

Aug 09, 2020

Ford used those dog dish hub caps that need the nubs on the center section on trucks too, you might find an interchange from a pickup.Try Hemmings Motor News for parts.

Agree, but no dog dish caps were factory on an early Bronco. They do look good though - had them on my half cab.
2022 Bronco BadSquatch, 1974 Bronco Ranger, 1976 Bronco Crawler, 1978 Bronco Custom
tasker

Rank II

Jun 04, 2021

just for fun (or reference) post #3 is a 'wheel cover' post #13 & 14 are 'hub caps' - each different things.
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11) '69 4.1, NV 3550 & DSII, "T" D20 [email protected]~

Rank VI

Jun 04, 2021

AND thinking outside the box...15X8.5 slotted wheels WITH dog dish caps! (no beer was involved in this photo! :LOL:)

enhance (26).jpg
gibsBRonCO, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Jun 04, 2021

AND thinking outside the box...15X8.5 slotted wheels WITH dog dish caps! (no beer was involved in this photo! :LOL:)

View attachment 14061
That's so far outside the box that . . . heck there is no box!!

(I do like your twin stick knobs!)
tasker

Rank VI

Jun 04, 2021

4 LOW goes BOOM! :ROFLMAO:
Deano Bronc

Rank II

Jun 04, 2021

I C these on a coupla Bronks. Kinda like the smoother caps.
They R very similar but the slanted side is smooth (not the ridges)has the same ridge all way round the top and a flat top as the rear cap.
Some R domed some R flat. Some have ford lettered a r o u n d (not across) that top. 4 me caps R beddah den covers. Best is chrome acorn lugs'n the lill cop caps on for dust shields (like an all black cop car wheel w/the lill chrome cap @ axel end). (Randy - both those wheels look like they could be pushed out toward the bumpers - 100 inch WB - instead?)
Chad - '70 LUEB on '77 frame (i.e. PS, D44, trapezoidal BB 9", 4.11) '69 4.1, NV 3550 & DSII, "T" D20 [email protected]~