You know what grinds my gears?

WolfGlassMIA
Mar 08, 2021

Rank V

Mar 08, 2021

We’re paying all this money to get an outer banks Bronco and we lose out in the GOAT mode department...why didn’t they include rock crawl?
Last edited by a moderator: Mar 08, 2021

Rank V

Mar 08, 2021

Can someone back me up by posting the trim chart?

OBX is the lower “comfort and convenience” trim out of the levels. Whereas the heavy “functionality” begins at Black Diamond and branches off with WildTrak (?) I believe. Idk, from the moment I saw BD I had my heart set on it, and haven’t paid much attention to any of the other trims.
5280Bronco, NVSUR

Libations MOD

Mar 08, 2021

Here is the GOAT Mode breakdowns or you want the full trim chart itself?

Attachments

WT HOSS 4dr 2.7 MIC Lux Tow
7/16/20 Res -- 1/22/21, 10/8/21 Order -- 3/24/22 VIN -- 5/9/22, 5/23/22, 5/16/22, 6/6/22, 6/17/22 Build 7/15/22 Delivered
Storm Factor - Never Stop Chasing! BrawnCo.Club 501c3 Pending
Dead Bronc, NVSUR

Gladesmen

Mar 08, 2021

We’re paying all this money to get an outer banks Bronco and we lose out in the GOAT mode department...why didn’t they include rock crawl?
The Outerbanks trim level is geared to more luxury and therefore geared to having a better ride on the paved roads. But remember the GOAT modes just set up the drive functions with one switch rather than setting them up each individually.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
ATC Enthusiast, 14U

Rank V

Mar 08, 2021

OBX is the lower “comfort and convenience” trim out of the levels. Whereas the heavy “functionality” begins at Black Diamond and branches off with WildTrak (?) I believe. Idk, from the moment I saw BD I had my heart set on it, and haven’t paid much attention to any of the other trims.

If it’s lower, why is it more expensive than the BD? I was dead set on the BD until I found out you can only get the 8” screen on it...if the black diamond came with the 12” screen option I wouldn’t look anywhere else.
TyFitzO, NVSUR

Gladesmen

Mar 08, 2021

If it’s lower, why is it more expensive than the BD? I was dead set on the BD until I found out you can only get the 8” screen on it...if the black diamond came with the 12” screen option I wouldn’t look anywhere else.
I wouldn’t say its a lower trim in fact it is one of the upper trims behind the Badlands. I would say it is an equal trim to the Wildtrack just that the Wildtrack is a Baja beast and the OBX is a luxury ride.
Bronco Nation 1100. Everglades, Desert Sand
Res: 7/30/20 ordered 1/22/21 reorder 10/15/21 changed to Everglades 3/9/22 schedule 8/29/22 bumped to 9/5; 9/7/22 blend, 9/9 Mods, 9/26/22 completed, 10/7 shipped, 11/3/22 delivery
TyFitzO, Hobgoblin

Rank V

Mar 08, 2021

I wouldn’t say its a lower trim in fact it is one of the upper trims behind the Badlands. I would say it is an equal trim to the Wildtrack just that the Wildtrack is a Baja beast and the OBX is a luxury ride.

Yeah I agree, it’s definitely a higher level trim, I ended up switching my order from the BD to the OBX, 2.7L, the high package, with the roast leather/black vinyl power seats(4Door)
WoolyGoat, Jakob1972

Off-Roadeo Ranger

Mar 08, 2021

I posted this on another thread a while ago, but I think it addresses this concern pretty well:

Black Diamond and Badlands are designed primarily to increase off-road capability and slow speed obstacles (rock crawling), not creature comforts and High speed desert/beach racing like Outer Banks and WildTrak. The primary objective of the model lines diverge at Big Bend (which adds limited capability and minimal creature comforts over Base) and then converge again at FE. At least that's the way I see it.
Base
Big Bend
Black DiamondEmphasis on:
<-- Off-Road Capability & Crawling vs. Creature Comforts & High Speed -->
Outer Banks
BadlandsWildTrak
Off-Road Capability -->First Edition
(The best of both worlds)
<-- Creature Comforts

That being said, any of them will perform quite well on the trails, and you aren't restricted from rock crawling just because you don't have the 'Rock Crawl' goat mode. The modes are basically a shortcut to certain settings that are more advantageous for certain terrains, but you can still tackle various terrains without them. I would like to have the rock Crawl and baja modes in my Bronco, but I did not let their inclusion or exclusion determine which sub-model was the overall best fit for my build. There are other much more important factors.
ATC Enthusiast, NVSUR

Rank V

Mar 08, 2021

You should look into all the trims and what they each offer, I’m getting everything I wanted from the BD in the OBX. The lack of signature LED lighting/ability to upgrade the 8” iPhone sized screen is disappointing to say the least. I won’t look at the black diamond the same again. Not when corollas have bigger nicer screens haha

Rank 0

Mar 08, 2021

I would say OBX is the "lower" trim level as far as off roading goes, but for features, comfort, luxury, it's one of the higher ones. Think of a Wrangler Sahara done right.
Jakob1972

Rank V

Mar 08, 2021

You should look into all the trims and what they each offer, I’m getting everything I wanted from the BD in the OBX. The lack of signature LED lighting/ability to upgrade the 8” iPhone sized screen is disappointing to say the least. I won’t look at the black diamond the same again. Not when corollas have bigger nicer screens haha

Precisely. That’s why the BD is my preference, whereas the OBX is the lower level of convenience. I found the chart that explains it. You’ll see on the bottom of the picture that the trims are mapped from left to right/ up to down, based on the tech/comfort versus function availability.

Attachments

TorgSurv, Hobgoblin

Rank V

Mar 08, 2021

Precisely. That’s why the BD is my preference, whereas the OBX is the lower level of convenience. I found the chart that explains it. You’ll see on the bottom of the picture that the trims are mapped from left to right/ up to down, based on the tech/comfort versus function availability.

If we’re going based off the chart/lines, the OBX is slightly better than the BD, and just under the BL, I’m happy with that
Hobgoblin, Jakob1972

Rank V

Mar 08, 2021

If we’re going based off the chart/lines, the OBX is slightly better than the BD, and just under the BL, I’m happy with that

I get the appeal of OBX for sure! At my dealership (I’m a Ford salesman) the OBX Bronco Sport we had was gorgeous. I am set on the BD because I want something that’s going to withstand me beating it up for years to come. Cant get that in a carpeted interior with the OBX rims. I’m getting the mid package on mine, and I’m happy with remote start, heated seats and a smaller screen. Plus I’m tearing out the rear seats, and will definitely be using the washout floors.
Steve777468, WolfGlassMIA

Rank IV

Mar 08, 2021

I don't disagree with what you're saying. My only critique with these is that they are not 100% customizable, but I guess that would be a logistic nightmare for Ford. Remember that ONLY the BL and the FE have swaybar disconnect, so if you want to be able to rock crawl, you'd have to add that as an after market on every model. I for one will NOT be taking my 60K Outerbanks build out rock crawling where it's going to be dinged up and scratched (or worse). At least not until it's a few years old...
ZA-Val, WolfGlassMIA

Rank IV

Mar 09, 2021

The order of vehicles is more like

Comfort track
Base - Big Bend - Outer Banks - Wild Trak

Offroad track/Rock Crawling track.
Base - Black Diamond - Badlands

First Edition being a combination of Badlands and Outer Banks.

Outer Banks is clearly not marketed to the rock crawling crowd. It's supposed to be the more comfort, mall crawling, beach going, vehicle.
Soupcook, WolfGlassMIA

Rank 0

Mar 15, 2021

That sentence you wrote was nearly word-for-word what my sales rep told me when I was bouncing around the trim levels. I went with OB in the end over the WT just over the interior seats, dash & door nuances matching my exterior AMB.
T F O'Neill, BC, Canada (Res 9/14/20, Ord 1/31/21)
2022 WildTrak/Lux/Sasquatch/Eruption Green/4-Door/2.7L/MIC Hard Top
Soupcook, JRHopp

Rank III

Mar 17, 2021

I've got an OBX on order because it fits my needs for overlanding, driving to the beach or heading to the ski slopes all while checking the boxes for my wife's comfort. I'm not into rock crawling to the extreme where I would need that capability and it would largely be a waste of money for me. Being from west Texas the only mode I wish it had that it doesn't would be Baja mode but even then it's not a huge loss.

The mall crawler reference is a little harsh though but I get it.
WoolyGoat, TyFitzO