Winter Camping in Maine.

BuzzyBud
Dec 06, 2020

Rank VI

Dec 06, 2020

I always look forward to camping. My four-season camper stays put at the winter location in the center section of Maine. Although winters can be long, cold, and dark, I enjoy them. I seem to find the time to get away for at least two nights each week. My dog loves running across the fields and I do not need to worry about him tangling with a skunk or porcupine.

This winter I will especially enjoy each sunrise with a hot cup of coffee. In the evenings I hope to make progress in reading my latest book entitled, “Four-Wheeler’s Bible”.

Four-Wheeler's Bible: 2nd Edition (Motorbooks Workshop): Allen, Jim: 9780760335307: Amazon.com: Books

Will you be camping this winter? Found a good book to read?

Winter Camping 1.jpg

Winter Camping 3.jpg
SaddleUpWild, Vigor
Last edited by a moderator: Dec 06, 2020

Rank VI

Dec 06, 2020

More reading material for those cold winter nights!

Colorado Trails.jpg
SaddleUpWild, Vigor

Mud,Sweat and Gears

Dec 06, 2020

Only good thing about winter in Maine is there are no black flies.Ice fishing isn't bad.
SaddleUpWild, Ian Lacasse

Rank VI

Dec 10, 2020

Four day camping trip in Maine. Great conditions, no black flies. ;)
10CEC2BB-7FB2-48F3-89F3-2601A0987F5A.jpeg

A1D029A1-A519-4FD2-809B-30321476500F.jpeg
SaddleUpWild, TK1215

Moab or bust!!!

Dec 10, 2020

Four day camping trip in Maine. Great conditions, no black flies. ;)
Looks like fun. I remember tent camping down in Brown County State Park in Indiana late fall with our horses. Woke up in the morning with ice in the water buckets. Love sleeping when it's that cold but hate getting out of the sleeping bags in the morning.
How much LP do you go through over a weekend? Ever get caught in a big snow storm?
2022 Bronco Badlands, 4D, Hot Pepper Red, 2.7, Squatch, Lux, and MIC.
7/13/2020 10:04pm reservation. Blend 6/16/2022 Delivered 6/26/2022.
Dealership - Stephen's Auto Center.
SaddleUpWild, Bronc96

Rank VI

Dec 10, 2020

Looks like fun. I remember tent camping down in Brown County State Park in Indiana late fall with our horses. Woke up in the morning with ice in the water buckets. Love sleeping when it's that cold but hate getting out of the sleeping bags in the morning.
How much LP do you go through over a weekend? Ever get caught in a big snow storm?

My fiberglass four-season camper does have an LP furnace, but I never use it. Instead, I have two small oil-filled electric heaters. They keep my dog and me toasty warm even when the nighttime temps drop below zero. The challenge is keeping the humidity low. For that, I have two small dehumidifiers. Those prevent ice from forming on the interior walls. Not good.

The snow can pile up and some years it measures three feet deep. Luckily, my windows are high enough to see out.

Some might say winter camping can be brutal. I never feel that way. You do need a plan; good gear and you need to know the weather forecast. In a way, I enjoy the challenge.
SaddleUpWild, Vigor

Rank VI

Dec 11, 2020

Pretty cool! Buddy looks cozy as well! :)
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
SaddleUpWild, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Dec 11, 2020

A great morning for a dog walk. Get outside and enjoy life!

35C1C989-C138-4A2B-9E21-6BEC1738B3FE.jpeg
SaddleUpWild, Vigor

Rank VI

Dec 11, 2020

What’s that white stuff covering everything? I’ve never seen anything like it here in Phoenix ;).

Looks like a great set up and fantastic reading material!

My dog is a true desert dog. He has no issues going outside and laying in the sun when it’s 115 outside, but if it’s below 60 degrees outside he just shivers his tail off.
‘22, 4 door Badlands, 2.3l, MT, MIC top, lux, Sasquatch, tow. Velocity Blue.
Build Complete --> 5/5/2022. Delivered 5/25/2022.
Bronco Nation #1115
SaddleUpWild, Vigor

Rank VI

Dec 11, 2020

Beautiful country up there Buzzy! Looks cold though!! :)
Badlands, 2 door, 2.3L, Manual, High, Non-SAS, Tow Package, Roof Rails, MIC, Velocity Blue
SaddleUpWild, bdawson24

Rank VI

Dec 12, 2020

Up and outside for an early morning dog walk. Love camping!

6786EA15-39DC-418D-8142-5C3ACB95FEF3.jpeg
Vigor, bdawson24

Rank VI

Dec 12, 2020

Looks peaceful and relaxing. :coffee:

You leave your setup there year-round?
bdawson24, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Dec 12, 2020

Looks peaceful and relaxing. :coffee:

You leave your setup there year-round?

During the off-season, Nov - Mar, I stay put. Never got used to towing when the roads are icy or snow-covered. This year did not travel as much so put more time and effort into the off-season campsite. The deck and gardens are all new. My dog, Buddy, insisted on the garden ornament. I hope 2021 will be better, but if not, will enjoy our site in Maine. Got to be flexible. ;)

Maine 1.jpg

Maine 2.jpg
SaddleUpWild, TK1215

Rank VI

Dec 12, 2020

Love it! Definitely nice to have a place to escape...this year more than ever.

Man, sure looks different in the summer ! :)
SaddleUpWild, Vigor

Rank VI

Dec 12, 2020

Looks serene. Stay warm my Bronco Brother
Ordered: 4-Door First Edition - Rapid Red - Black Seats - MIC Top - Build Date: 10/25
In Garage: ‘62 Red Vette - ‘07 Black Shelby Ragtop - ‘21 F150 Platinum PowerBoost - Rapid Red
SaddleUpWild, Vigor

Rank VI

Dec 12, 2020

During the off-season, Nov - Mar, I stay put. Never got used to towing when the roads are icy or snow-covered. This year did not travel as much so put more time and effort into the off-season campsite. The deck and gardens are all new. My dog, Buddy, insisted on the garden ornament. I hope 2021 will be better, but if not, will enjoy our site in Maine. Got to be flexible. ;)

View attachment 6364

View attachment 6365
Looks awesome!! I’d love to try winter camping, problem is I only have a tent.
Bronco Nation Member #0000
Instagram: bdawson24
SaddleUpWild, BuzzyBud

Rank VI

Dec 12, 2020

Looks awesome!! I’d love to try winter camping, problem is I only have a tent.

I love winter camping in a tent! Unfortunately, my dog does not like it and he is the little prince in the home.
My fondest memories of winter tent camping were on an island off the coast of Maine. The island was called Snow Island and one morning I awoke to 6 inches of snow on my tent. Talk about a fun time!
If you seek winter camping in a tent, consider “baby steps” at first. Nighttime temps at or above 25 degrees will help. At those temps, a good zero bag and a good winter pad are what you need. My favorite winter pad is an Exped Downmat XP 9 LW. The LW stands for long and wide. Nothing worse than rolling off your pad during winter camping. Been there, done that!
Do not forget to store your water bottle upside down. Nothing worse than a layer of ice on top preventing you from getting a good drink. Oh well, you knew that.
Just get outside and enjoy life. If nothing else it will get your mind off the long wait for your Bronco! ;)

DownMat XP 9 LW | Exped USA
SaddleUpWild, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Dec 12, 2020

I love winter camping in a tent! Unfortunately, my dog does not like it and he is the little prince in the home.
My fondest memories of winter tent camping were on an island off the coast of Maine. The island was called Snow Island and one morning I awoke to 6 inches of snow on my tent. Talk about a fun time!
If you seek winter camping in a tent, consider “baby steps” at first. Nighttime temps at or above 25 degrees will help. At those temps, a good zero bag and a good winter pad are what you need. My favorite winter pad is an Exped Downmat XP 9 LW. The LW stands for long and wide. Nothing worse than rolling off your pad during winter camping. Been there, done that!
Do not forget to store your water bottle upside down. Nothing worse than a layer of ice on top preventing you from getting a good drink. Oh well, you knew that.
Just get outside and enjoy life. If nothing else it will get your mind off the long wait for your Bronco! ;)

DownMat XP 9 LW | Exped USA
Wow, I really appreciate what you wrote. I live in MI and it gets cold especially in the Upper Peninsula. I think it would be amazing to be tent camping in the winter in the woods right by Lake Superior/Michigan. I have been cold camping before it was all accidental. I happened to find myself at 14,000 ft in CO and was behind schedule getting to another camp ground. I survived, but it was cold. Lol
Bronco Nation Member #0000
Instagram: bdawson24
SaddleUpWild, Deano Bronc

Rank VI

Dec 12, 2020

Wow, I really appreciate what you wrote. I live in MI and it gets cold especially in the Upper Peninsula. I think it would be amazing to be tent camping in the winter in the woods right by Lake Superior/Michigan. I have been cold camping before it was all accidental. I happened to find myself at 14,000 ft in CO and was behind schedule getting to another camp ground. I survived, but it was cold. Lol

I love the challenge! But you need a good plan. During winter tent camping my two weak points are my head and my feet. Bought a really good knit cap with “Thinsulate”. Also down booties. When my head and my feet are warm, I am a happy camper!
SaddleUpWild, TorgSurv

Rank VI

Mar 19, 2021

Late winter RV camping in Maine. A brisk 17 degrees with an 18 mph wind made the temp feel like minus 1 this morning. My dog loves cool temps. As long as I have a cup of hot coffee, I am fine.
082B4882-1B78-4625-8BDB-7146B6A9A037.jpeg
TK1215, Deano Bronc