Rank II

Super Supporter II

May 23, 2022
Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Swienton
If someone is looking to add a winch and change out their modular bumper with sensor holes to an aftermarket bumper, I will help fund the bumper by buying your old mod bumper.

jossman

Rank II

Advocate III

Apr 17, 2021
Monument,CO
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Joss
Said in a previous post I would mount a winch on the Receiver Hitch + power with an Xtra battery.Can install + remove as conditions dictate.Don't want to modify or move any factory installed options.4dr Wt MIC Lux Tow Modular Bumper.

Attachments

Dirt Dog

Rank V

Champion I

Feb 12, 2021
Brighton, MI
First Name
Alan
Last Name
Heneveld
Member #

Warn has a mount for above which I’m not crazy about. Rough country has one for below (hidden) I’m unsure how I feel about it. I’m going to wait until it’s delivered to see what I can fabricate. I’m considering spacing the bumper further out to make room between the frame rails. But there’s no way in hell I’m spending $3500 on a Chinese warn winch option. You can buy the same setup for less than $1000 aftermarket. I’m also considering a rear mount.
I like the idea of a hitch in front and back . Mount the winch front or back when you need it.

okie4570

Rank V

Promoter II

May 21, 2020
Oklahoma
Isn't the tow rating 3,500 lbs. The hitch may not be rated to handle the winch, nor the vehicle weight for that matter.
Tow rating and hitch capacity are two different things. When using the winch, the vehicle isn't towing anything. It's power coming from the winch, not the vehicle drive train, unless it's a pto winch.

AcesandEights

Rank V

Champion I

Oct 22, 2020
Oregon, USA
First Name
Aresenio
Last Name
Beckman
Tow rating and hitch capacity are two different things. When using the winch, the vehicle isn't towing anything. It's power coming from the winch, not the vehicle drive train, unless it's a pto winch.
Yeah, but the load on the winch, and therefore hitch, isn't straight. So, the tongue weight limit, as an example may be 350 lbs. What is the rating of the hitch on a pull to the side, down, up, etc? The hitch is rated for tongue weight and then the total weight of what's being towed. So, your hitch, theoretically, is rated for a 3,500 pull straight back. It's rated for a pull in a vertical plane of 350 lbs. So, the tow rating can't be used for the hitch capacity, but how to you generalize the capacity of the hitch without using the only "known" (hitch rating)?

okie4570

Rank V

Promoter II

May 21, 2020
Oklahoma
Yeah, but the load on the winch, and therefore hitch, isn't straight. So, the tongue weight limit, as an example may be 350 lbs. What is the rating of the hitch on a pull to the side, down, up, etc? The hitch is rated for tongue weight and then the total weight of what's being towed. So, your hitch, theoretically, is rated for a 3,500 pull straight back. It's rated for a pull in a vertical plane of 350 lbs. So, the tow rating can't be used for the hitch capacity, but how to you generalize the capacity of the hitch without using the only "known" (hitch rating)?
There's is no hitch rating other than straight down, or towing capacity other than straight back so anything side to side is a guess. That said, I can't tell you how many folks I've pulled out if the ditch over the years that were buried up to the frame in the mud. Whether using a jerk strap, chain, or cable I hooked it to the ball hitch of the truck that was stuck to the eye on the front of my f350 or f250 or 200hp tractor. It was never a straight pull or yank. Haven't lost a hitch yet.

BostonBadlands

Rank II

Advocate III

May 7, 2022
Boston, MA, USA
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Childs
I'd appreciate thoughts and install experiences on relocating the front camera and bumper (parking) sensors, which I want to keep during a winch install. Can the camera be located higher up the grill? Can the sensors be detached, then installed on another bumper or winch mounting plate? And what about Adaptive Cruise Control? I'm getting on in years, and these are very useful functions to me.

Incidentally, I drive the V-6 Badlands Sasquatch, 4-Door, with standard HD bumper, which I'd like to keep instead of swapping out for something else.

AcesandEights

Rank V

Champion I

Oct 22, 2020
Oregon, USA
First Name
Aresenio
Last Name
Beckman
Point being you may not want to use a Bronco hitch to do the same work your Super Duty did.